Aldert

Trachycarpus WagnerianusXPrinceps

Vic
14 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I just checked my purchase history.  The seller was thepalmgrower and the seeds shipped from the UK. 

That will be me then :greenthumb:

You clearly have the first ones I did, as they are quite a bit bigger than mine and it’s good to see the colour starting to come through. These are a very exciting prospect indeed!

Joe NC
28 minutes ago, Vic said:

That will be me then :greenthumb:

You clearly have the first ones I did, as they are quite a bit bigger than mine and it’s good to see the colour starting to come through. These are a very exciting prospect indeed!

Haha.  Well good work on the cross!  These two are the survivors from the small amount of seeds (10?) I initially purchsed in Feb 2018.  I had good luck and high percentage with germination but had a plague of grasshoppers completely defoliate (to the soil) the 8 or so seedlings I had.  That event killed most and probably set these two back quite a bit.  I purchased some more seeds from you in March 2019, and have an additional 9 strap leaf seedlings.  Two things of note:  The palms in the photo germinated as "4 ridgers" but are clearly not pure waggies.  Also, I threw the two 2018 seeds that did not germinate into a potted outdoor plant and forgot about them.  About a month ago I noticed one had recently sprouted.

Vic
36 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Haha.  Well good work on the cross!  These two are the survivors from the small amount of seeds (10?) I initially purchsed in Feb 2018.  I had good luck and high percentage with germination but had a plague of grasshoppers completely defoliate (to the soil) the 8 or so seedlings I had.  That event killed most and probably set these two back quite a bit.  I purchased some more seeds from you in March 2019, and have an additional 9 strap leaf seedlings.  Two things of note:  The palms in the photo germinated as "4 ridgers" but are clearly not pure waggies.  Also, I threw the two 2018 seeds that did not germinate into a potted outdoor plant and forgot about them.  About a month ago I noticed one had recently sprouted.

I personally think that too much emphasis is put on the ridges of seedlings, most of my wag x princeps were 4 ridges (70%) and the rest are 2 and 3, the resultant seedlings all look identical to me. I even have a princeps x wag that was a 4 leaf seedling, this looks about 80% princeps to me.

I also have a batch of princeps seedlings from a reliable source and some are wider leaf but void of any ridges, all these i'm fairly sure will be typical princeps. 

The only nailed on 2 ridgers for me have been T. nanus, every single one of these i have germinated have been incredibly narrow 2 ridge seedlings.

Jimhardy

Nice pics...I think I have a total of 3 now...one is different and 2 are similar.

I will post some pics when I can.

• Like 1

James760

@Jimhardy, Glad your still around posting! We've never spoke (Writen) I believe? I've been a huge admire of your skills & yard for years! Even as a lurker, years before I joined palmtalk. I've always looked forward to your pic's! :greenthumb:

-James 

Jimhardy

Thanks James

heres a picture of one side of the garden at the "new" place.

ZMRnwuE.jpg?1

• Like 4

Jimhardy

Those are awesome....I don't see that type of color on mine.

TexasColdHardyPalms

The waggy x princeps and waggy x nanus are robust growers for us. Definitely some hybrid vigor there.

Joe NC

Being wag x princ, I was expecting them to be slow.  They have been potted up and put on some good growth since my above post in June.

20201018_111939.thumb.jpg.389d874df68f9ad010659e69eca3cca6.jpg