IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus WagnerianusXPrinceps

Aldert

14 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I just checked my purchase history.  The seller was thepalmgrower and the seeds shipped from the UK. 

That will be me then :greenthumb:

You clearly have the first ones I did, as they are quite a bit bigger than mine and it’s good to see the colour starting to come through. These are a very exciting prospect indeed!

28 minutes ago, Vic said:

That will be me then :greenthumb:

You clearly have the first ones I did, as they are quite a bit bigger than mine and it’s good to see the colour starting to come through. These are a very exciting prospect indeed!

Haha.  Well good work on the cross!  These two are the survivors from the small amount of seeds (10?) I initially purchsed in Feb 2018.  I had good luck and high percentage with germination but had a plague of grasshoppers completely defoliate (to the soil) the 8 or so seedlings I had.  That event killed most and probably set these two back quite a bit.  I purchased some more seeds from you in March 2019, and have an additional 9 strap leaf seedlings.  Two things of note:  The palms in the photo germinated as "4 ridgers" but are clearly not pure waggies.  Also, I threw the two 2018 seeds that did not germinate into a potted outdoor plant and forgot about them.  About a month ago I noticed one had recently sprouted.

36 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Haha.  Well good work on the cross!  These two are the survivors from the small amount of seeds (10?) I initially purchsed in Feb 2018.  I had good luck and high percentage with germination but had a plague of grasshoppers completely defoliate (to the soil) the 8 or so seedlings I had.  That event killed most and probably set these two back quite a bit.  I purchased some more seeds from you in March 2019, and have an additional 9 strap leaf seedlings.  Two things of note:  The palms in the photo germinated as "4 ridgers" but are clearly not pure waggies.  Also, I threw the two 2018 seeds that did not germinate into a potted outdoor plant and forgot about them.  About a month ago I noticed one had recently sprouted.

I personally think that too much emphasis is put on the ridges of seedlings, most of my wag x princeps were 4 ridges (70%) and the rest are 2 and 3, the resultant seedlings all look identical to me. I even have a princeps x wag that was a 4 leaf seedling, this looks about 80% princeps to me.

I also have a batch of princeps seedlings from a reliable source and some are wider leaf but void of any ridges, all these i'm fairly sure will be typical princeps. 

The only nailed on 2 ridgers for me have been T. nanus, every single one of these i have germinated have been incredibly narrow 2 ridge seedlings.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice pics...I think I have a total of 3 now...one is different and 2 are similar.

I will post some pics when I can.

• Like 1

@Jimhardy, Glad your still around posting! We've never spoke (Writen) I believe? I've been a huge admire of your skills & yard for years! Even as a lurker, years before I joined palmtalk. I've always looked forward to your pic's! :greenthumb:

-James 

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The waggy x princeps and waggy x nanus are robust growers for us. Definitely some hybrid vigor there.

Being wag x princ, I was expecting them to be slow.  They have been potted up and put on some good growth since my above post in June.

20201018_111939.thumb.jpg.389d874df68f9ad010659e69eca3cca6.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I just ordered some wagnerianus x princeps seeds from thepalmgrower on Ebay.   I was tempted to pick up some wagnerianus x T.nanus too, but I restrained myself.  I'll start a new thread once they arrive.

Thanks. I’ll get them posted tomorrow for you. My original plants from a few years ago are now starting to look nice. 

here is my largest on, this was back in early summer and it’s grown quite a bit since then. 

the 2nd pic is my best wag x nanus. These really have taken on more waggie than I had ever expected. 

29B37B09-98FC-422F-9295-FA25315E2136.jpeg

06C8842A-FDEE-47BF-A641-D65D06C3A57C.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

@Vic is the bomb!  I got my seeds yesterday, they look great!  He even included five of the wagnerianus x T.nanus seeds for free!  Can't wait to see these guys get going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

@Vic is the bomb!  I got my seeds yesterday, they look great!  He even included five of the wagnerianus x T.nanus seeds for free!  Can't wait to see these guys get going.

Glad they arrived ok. I’ve not that many left of these now, and wasn’t able to make the cross again due to COVID19 and travel restrictions, but my princeps hybrid flowered for the first time and so I’ve crossed this with one of my waggie, should be interesting. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bottom right lower photo - I have a late bloomer!%& @ Waggy x Princeps.

We have had a few frosts and 3 short dips below freezing. I've been bringing them in right before the freeze... and today I noticed the newest member of the family :)

it should be interesting to see if this one ends up having traits leaning towards the Princeps father

20201225_115837.jpg

20201225_115853.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DallasPalms said:

Bottom right lower photo - I have a late bloomer!%& @ Waggy x Princeps.

We have had a few frosts and 3 short dips below freezing. I've been bringing them in right before the freeze... and today I noticed the newest member of the family :)

it should be interesting to see if this one ends up having traits leaning towards the Princeps father

How long did germination take?  I've had mine going for about a month now.  I'm thinking it's gonna take two or three months for mine with no bottom heat.

In the summer they were in a room that stays a little cooler which is high 80s -90s and the same as other Fortuneis @ around 2-3 months closer to 3. Just a lower germ rate that is 13 out of 50 hopefully the cool temps bring up more... just keep them moist

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update. 

They are coming along, growing fast and looking great.  They are going to be an amazing palm when large.

Very blue undersides of the leaves and blue petioles.

20210710_191503.thumb.jpg.9b46094a8a38cffdf554d94627a20b90.jpg20210710_191527.thumb.jpg.5882d6738bbaa7d719929d0ae6c5d073.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

That palm looks amazing. It’s going to be amazing when it’s big, I’m so jealous!

• Like 1

Is the idea behind this hybrid to get a more cold hardy palm that will have the stiffer, compact characteristics of a waggie?

On 7/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, GregVirginia7 said:

Is the idea behind this hybrid to get a more cold hardy palm that will have the stiffer, compact characteristics of a waggie?

I can't seem to get a princeps to survive with all the rain and humidity.  So for me, a stiff frond that is finely cut and has a "blue" color is the appeal.

This plant appears to have all the good qualities of both parents.

• 4 weeks later...

I lost my Cyathea Robusta which opened up some free parking...

finally put one of the 3 of the T.Wag x Princeps in the ground.

Starting to have some nice white color on the backs of the leaves!

SAM_2038.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will try and get a pic of the other Wag x Princeps today with a T.Princeps for comparison.

They are shaping up nicely and right now they are compact but looking at some of the other

pics on this thread they do appear to stretch out a little as they get bigger just like Princeps

that starts out compact then the petioles stretch a little more...

Photo of my princeps X fortunei for contrast.  This thing is a rocket!  My waggie X princeps (from Vic seeds) are still strap leaf.  Only got about 30 percent germination so far but I'm not giving up.  I resoaked them and they all sank, so I put them back in soil.  I did get a couple of the waggie x nanus germinated, but one died and the other looks pretty weak.

princepsfortunei.jpg

• Like 3

Here is mine T. wagnerianus x princeps from Aldert. Planted in the ground last year.

Third and fourth photos are T. fortunei x princeps from Vic. 

314C5B44-2C33-4D20-9FA0-96DD4F8ACB46.jpeg

800BA696-7241-4E71-BF49-599BD08A1959.jpeg

382D92A4-3323-42C3-BF71-B27AC7E898B3.jpeg

3FBC0E31-16F3-47DE-8754-412B985A2CAD.jpeg

• Like 3

I have neglected mine... theyll be fine with a repot soon! Meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone has experience with variegated palms? I have some maybes from Vics seed

From the same batch I posted before the little one got chewed up but is healthy...another is looking like a possible variegate... also I had only one bean sprout out of 100ish or 200ish waggy seeds. Its definitely different!

20210826_135438.jpg

20210826_135248.jpg

Edited by DallasPalms
  • Like 2

I've got alot the reverse cross. Princeps x Waggy I think. Be patient with these they took alot longer... some were spring sprouted and the hot summer made alot more pop up!

20210826_135508.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DallasPalms said:

I have neglected mine... theyll be fine with a repot soon! Meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone has experience with variegated palms? I have some maybes from Vics seed

From the same batch I posted before the little one got chewed up but is healthy...another is looking like a possible variegate... also I had only one bean sprout out of 100ish or 200ish waggy seeds. Its definitely different!

20210826_135438.jpg

20210826_135248.jpg

Good to see these have done ok for you William. That seedling is not variegated though, to me it looks a little deficient or more likely it has been left to dry out briefly which can also cause this discolouration. 

7 hours ago, DallasPalms said:

I've got alot the reverse cross. Princeps x Waggy I think. Be patient with these they took alot longer... some were spring sprouted and the hot summer made alot more pop up!

20210826_135508.jpg

Well done with these! I sowed mine in December and only now are they germinating in any significant number. 

• 4 weeks later...

Comparison between Trachycarpus wagnerianus x princeos (left) with wagnerianus x nanus (right).

6B9D7882-A1CE-4D07-968D-008D1752B834.thumb.jpeg.7507e2be1acfb419bc234555ef623fa3.jpeg

I have one that turned on the mother side with mini leaves like wagnerianus and shy silver coloration on the back side of leaves.

26D2533E-161F-4B6E-93E6-993BC750FA89.jpeg

663C78FB-99FE-4964-B115-BBC90C018D41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, Chester B said:

That palm looks amazing. It’s going to be amazing when it’s big, I’m so jealous!

Me too! I need one of those

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

In the ground now.  Replaces an awkward rectangular planting bed and takes the final place left in the front yard palm row.  20220412_092614.thumb.jpg.c07be87d5f234a678b48075a4bbd2a6e.jpg

• Like 2