IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus species for Phoenix, Arizona

DesertCoconut

I'm looking for advice on growing other species of syagrus other than romanzoffiana here in Phoenix. I really like the look of a queen palm, but only the ones I've seen in CA and FL. By the end of our hot summers, they just look tattered and burnt no matter how much water and fertilizer you give them. I did plant a couple 15 gallon mule palms (butia x romanzoffiana) this spring and I'm excited to watch them grow.

Does anybody have experience with any other syagrus species or hybrids that do well here in our desert climate? Coronata? Picrophylla? schizophylla?

Comments on cold hardiness and growth rate would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

I'm here in Gilbert and growing a few Syagrus hybrids.  I have mules and also Coco Queens which are a nice looking Romanzoffiana x Schizophylla cross. The Coco Queens are much faster than the Mules and just look fuller all around.  I have all of them near the pool and they get full day sun which none of them are overly fond of.  The fronds tend to bronze as the summer goes on but they keep growing.  I fertilize with Palmgain every other month in the growing season and water generously.  It's only their third year in the ground so I'm hoping that they put on some serous size this year.    I'll post a pic tomorrow.  

Finally got out into the yard this morning to run off a rabbit that was vandalizing the garden and remembered to take some pics.  This one is a Coconut Queen that I bought as a 15 gal from Phil at Jungle Music.  It's carrying a lot of fronds and the trunk has been getting noticeably thicker.

CocoQueen2.jpg

• Upvote 3

Looks nice!  Thanks for sharing.  I bought a few smaller trees from Phil.  One of these days I need to make a trip out there and drive back with a moving van full of larger ones. 

• Upvote 1

That's a great idea!  I've flown out to SD for business 3x over the past couple years and driven back in a rental truck or minivan packed with plants.  Not something a lot of non-palm people get...

• Like 2

Let me know how this Coconut queen does for you in AZ we just started doing this cross and intend on doing it yearly now.

• Upvote 1

Sure thing Erik, happy to share my experience.  I have 2 Coconut Queens here in Gilbert, AZ.  One is pictured earlier in the thread and I've included the other with this post.  Both are doing very well with our heat but tend to bronze a bit as the intense (full, all day) Summer sun wears on them.  They seem to grow strongly most of the year and are each pushing multiple spears today.  Trunks have easily doubled or tripled in diameter over the past two years in the ground.  No nutritional deficiencies noted but I fertilize with Palmgain so I wouldn't expect any.  No issues with cold but both of the past two Winters were really mild.  I like this hybrid a lot.  I have a Mule as well but the Coconut Queen is much faster growing and carries more fronds.  I'm also growing a Jubaea x Butia hybrid that seems very happy here as well.  If you want me to try anything (please?), here in AZ, just PM me and I'd be happy to stick it in the ground and see what happens :  ) 

CQ1c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is a shot of the Mule for comparison and I think it shows the different growth rates pretty well.  The Mule has been in the ground almost a full season longer and was planted as a 30" box as opposed to the Coconut Queens which came in 15g pots.  The Mule was chunkier and the CQs were taller but the CQs' trunks are now comparable if not larger than the Mule's.

Mule2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

We planted 3 mule palms in November around our pool after losing 4 queen palms last summer. I need help with the watering! They are looking burnt and the fronds are droopy.  I have two- 2 gallon drips on each palm. Any recommendations for run time during 115 degree heat? I live in Chandler, AZ.   My fear is overwatering.

• 1 year later...

5 hours every 3 days. (20 gallons)

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 11 months later...

Thank you Aztropics. I somehow missed this info last year but thankfully they are still alive (so far🥹). I am back to seek more info regarding the King Palm (archontophoenix cunnunghamiana).  I love the look of this palm and would like to know if you grow this? I’d love to know all the specifics to growing this palm and if it grows here when to plant. Since I typically overwater, it might be a good match as most references say it likes lots of water?
Thanks for your help in advance!