IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show your B. Alfredii: Pics & age.

GottmitAlex

Bought mine in June 2013. They were in 5 gal pots. 4 years, feel like they are kind of slow growing here. Both were same size when I put them in the ground but the one on the left has become taller. 

20170603_160127.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's mine, about ~6 years from wild-collected seed I got via RPS. Since I lost one this winter that was planted out, I'm going to keep this one potted until it gets more stem (if not trunk) on it. It doesn't seem to have a problem in full sun here all day during our hot summers.

Beccariophoenix.jpg

These were grown from seed planted October 2015. Thanks for all the information and photos everyone!

DSCN6526.jpg

DSCN6530.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

On 6/3/2017, 8:22:55, Hillizard said:

Here's mine, about ~6 years from wild-collected seed I got via RPS. Since I lost one this winter that was planted out, I'm going to keep this one potted until it gets more stem (if not trunk) on it. It doesn't seem to have a problem in full sun here all day during our hot summers.

What are the stones for? I might steal this idea to keep squirrels from digging in my pots! Just this week, they pulled out beccario seedlings I had JUST potted up to 5-gallon containers. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

What are the stones for? I might steal this idea to keep squirrels from digging in my pots! Just this week, they pulled out beccario seedlings I had JUST potted up to 5-gallon containers. 

Jdiaz: You're exactly correct... I use stones in almost all my pots as a general deterrent to keep the squirrels and scrub jays from digging around in them. I even put out a few decoy pots with only soil and no stones to lure them away from my plants. I also put stones and pavers around most of the plants I have in the ground. These animals are very aware of physical changes in the yard and feel compelled to investigate as they forage. Now if I could only get my neighbors to stop feeding (for cheap entertainment) our overpopulation of invasive gray squirrels!! :angry:

Almost 5 years old from 7 Gallon from Mike Evans - partial oak shade, morning sun

DSCN1659.JPG

Edited by BeerPlant

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

This is 2 years old from 7 gallon bucket from Mike Again, much faster in full sun

DSCN1663.JPG

Edited by BeerPlant
  • Upvote 3

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa