IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain Gods Please Bless Fla.

Cocoa Beach Jason

Finally got some real rain in our parched neighborhood. I love the rainy season :-)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Finally got some real rain in our parched neighborhood. I love the rainy season :-)

First time in a long time that it rained enough to say more than just "it rained."  The ground was thoroughly soaked here.  Hoping for a long and fulfilling rainy season!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hear, hear. We got 0.8" through noon today.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 5/23/2017, 6:05:46, PalmatierMeg said:

Maybe the midweek rain will fall on your house.

Yes, finally some good rain, 3.18" of rain the last couple days!

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I have been blessed wirh rains! Wednesday's rainfall was heavy in spurts and the total was about .80". Sunday overnight 1/4" fell, and late last week another 1/4". I know, not a gullywasher but after this long dry spell, I will take it! :lol:

• Upvote 2

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Looks like the pattern might be starting to break for the rainy season.  This is the first day in recent memory it has rained twice.  When I left for work in the morning it was raining.  Started raining again at 8:30PM and just finished.  Looking like a good chance of rain each day this week.  Hopefully the drought will become a distant memory.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

I litterally just got my irrigation turned on for the first time in 10 years today.

Woulda been useful a few months ago! lol

wetter.jpg

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

The dome over our property is firmly in place and deflecting rain clouds so I'm hand watering almost daily.

Meg

Florida

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The dome over our property is firmly in place and deflecting rain clouds so I'm hand watering almost daily.

I think the dome moved from my garden to yours, as I received .27" yesterday.

Got the hat trick today... 3 days in a row with rain showers! :)

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

Last night it rained about 10  minutes...medium rain. First rain in 13 days. Today is another hopeful day for the rainy season to actually begin. Amazing what just 10 minutes of medium rain can do to make the yard look so fresh! :wub:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Rain Gods are peeing on me ri ght now ------ replenishing the Floridan Aquifer !

Dark clouds all around us. But no rain. Back to hand watering tomorrow.

Meg

Florida

49 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Dark clouds all around us. But no rain. Back to hand watering tomorrow.

Yep, same here.

Looking like a good chance of rain all this week as well here.  Six days in a row so far with at least a shower.  The yard, palms, oaks, etc.... loving it!  I definitely like the fact it has been in the mid-80s while it's been raining instead of mid to upper 90s with the sun high overhead.  A lot more comfortable and less work for the A/C.

Lakeland, FL

Yes! We're having showers of blessings in the Cape. No watering tonight.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

I hereby declare success. My post requesting blessings was well-received by the rain gods. No need to thank me as I already know my summoning of the rain was enjoyed by man and tree alike. 

• Upvote 1

@Cocoa Beach Jason Thanks for 8 straight days of liquid sunshine then ;)

Lakeland, FL

3.5" through noon today. Now experiencing serious thunderstorms. Thanks, Jason.

Meg

Florida

5.40" of rain so far this week, this will certainly fill up our canals!

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

3.5" through noon today. Now experiencing serious thunderstorms. Thanks, Jason.

You are welcome. It was my pleasure. 

IMG_7453.GIF.33fa359e3400f9fd903813a379b

• Upvote 1

Rained constantly since Saturday evening, sometimes most of the day with heavy rains in between. Picked up about 4 inches of rain since then. Imagine, almost as much rain in 5 days than I had since November combined. The yard is becoming lush and overgrown again. What a difference! :lol:

7.3" since Monday. The sun finally came out this afternoon.

Meg

Florida

It just will not stop. It has rained every day but Friday in the past 8 or 9, two dounpours and storms today. When we said we needed rain, it could have come in doses, not all at once! Way too much. Over 6" and counting for June. :wub:

53 minutes ago, gsytch said:

It just will not stop. It has rained every day but Friday in the past 8 or 9, two dounpours and storms today. When we said we needed rain, it could have come in doses, not all at once! Way too much. Over 6" and counting for June. :wub:

No, don't stop! lol. I have received over 10" this month already and it is raining now. We need more to replenish the aquifers and our canals. And plus the palms are looking so happy!

It just will not stop. It has rained every day but Friday in the past 8 or 9, two dounpours and storms today. When we said we needed rain, it could have come in doses, not all at once! Way too much. Over 6" and counting for June. 

13 days in a row and counting... Not upset in the least.  My new plantings are loving it!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

12" already for the month of June and we are not even halfway through :D

• Upvote 1

It has been a wet June for sure. I just had two dry, sunny days in a row. That is a blessing after so much rainfall. Looks like today's chances are increasing in the evening and Monday/Tuesday we are expecting heavy rains yet again. Truly a rainy season has kicked in - POW - just like that. Growth is amazing. I lost count at over 8" for the month and figured, why bother, it keeps raining. It is about time rains are steady and to be counted on. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I hate sunny days! Give me 4-6 hours of sunlight and rain the rest of the day, and I'll be happy :-)

• Upvote 1

Today is day 20 in a row with at least some rain.  Today, it was sunny just long enough to mow.  Right as I was finishing the yard, the clouds started rolling in and it was time for our daily watering :)  I couldn't write a better June after that long dry spell.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

I have had rain everyday this June giving me a total of 13.2" for the month. That is more than I had received in total in the 8 previous months.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

My total rain fall for June in the Cape was 15.27". So palms are very happy! The drought is just a distant memory.

• Upvote 1

I  had a drought busting 16.18" total for June. Measurable rain every single day except for one. 

• Upvote 1

Just skip Daytona until way late tonight , so that we can get the races in . Then bring it on .

• Upvote 1

According to the radio, Gainesville set a record for monthly rainfall this June.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Yeppers...Here in New Port Richey June began wet and ended wet. Although I did get a few sunny, dry days in there (thankfully) the total was over 10" easy. I stopped counting when it got that high. As dry as it was is how wet June was. Today, July 1st, began with a 1030am thunderstorm and the rain did not stop until 2pm. Well over 1.25". The yard and neighborhood are a fresh green. Amazing how fast it all happened. :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Receiving a lot of rain this week here in SW Florida with this tropical wave. Texas is really going to get hit with Harvey. I received 7.68" of rain the week, which included 4.82" just today. So much rain there was a catfish swimming on our road next to my house!

2535.jpeg

• Upvote 1