IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Butia x Jubaea) x Syagrus

smithgn

Hey everyone, I thought we should start a thread about this specific hybrid. It's a Butia x Jubaea parent hybrid, crossed again with a Syagrus Romanzoffiana. It's most likely a tad less hardy than the Butia x Jubaea hybrid, but then again, we really don't know. I visited my palm friend Gayland Penny, whom I bought the hybrid from, and he told me to go ahead and put it in ground.

So I thought, what the heck?

IMG_0429_zpsrinr5why.jpg

Zoomed out a little bit to show that it's in an okay microclimate with the fence and the brick wall 2-3 feet away. I may have planted it too close, but we'll see.

IMG_0430_zpseizmst39.jpg

I plan on protecting it the first winter it's in ground. After that, it's on it's own. I hope it's a zone 8 palm. Here goes nothing!

On a side note, Scot in Greenwood, SC has one as well that is VERY far along and is growing like a rocket. He has his in a large pot and it's already outgrown it. 

Anyone else have one that can share some insight or pictures?

• Upvote 5

I got two of these (same source) but they're not any further along.  Both have done very well in 1g pots so far. 

I expect they will need winter protection for the first couple years.

• Upvote 1

So far JxB is hardier than even pure butia or pure jubaea; solid 8a palms, if not 7b.  Bxj is also just about as hardy. 

Bjxq appears to be a tad hardier than a mule. My jxs went to 18 in the pot without issue and i pulled it inside before it went any colder. One is now in the ground. 

• Upvote 1

I have got a bunch of these from Penny's Palms - a couple went in the ground, several into pots.  It will be interesting to share experiences!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

12 hours ago, smithgn said:

Hey everyone, I thought we should start a thread about this specific hybrid. It's a Butia x Jubaea parent hybrid, crossed again with a Syagrus Romanzoffiana. It's most likely a tad less hardy than the Butia x Jubaea hybrid, but then again, we really don't know. I visited my palm friend Gayland Penny, whom I bought the hybrid from, and he told me to go ahead and put it in ground.

So I thought, what the heck?

IMG_0429_zpsrinr5why.jpg

Zoomed out a little bit to show that it's in an okay microclimate with the fence and the brick wall 2-3 feet away. I may have planted it too close, but we'll see.

IMG_0430_zpseizmst39.jpg

I plan on protecting it the first winter it's in ground. After that, it's on it's own. I hope it's a zone 8 palm. Here goes nothing!

On a side note, Scot in Greenwood, SC has one as well that is VERY far along and is growing like a rocket. He has his in a large pot and it's already outgrown it. 

Wish I had that cross, by regular BxQ has been the hardiest so far, follow by JxB,  BxJ and my most tender has been Butia  ‘blue leaf’.

9 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Wish I had that cross, by regular BxQ has been the hardiest so far, follow by JxB,  BxJ and my most tender has been Butia  ‘blue leaf’.

He has them on eBay.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here is a photo of my mule palm x Butyagrus nabonnandii taken minutes ago this evening. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. It taken some time for mine to grow this size but its pick up speed in the last two years. I have no idea why this palm is doing so well for me, I have had some spear pull in the pass but very little leaf damage go figure.  Way hardier than the livistona chinensis in the lower corner. 

DSC00026.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 4

On 4/24/2017, 6:34:21, Turtlesteve said:

I got two of these (same source) but they're not any further along.  Both have done very well in 1g pots so far. 

I expect they will need winter protection for the first couple years.

Steve, I debated on keeping them in a pot for one growing season or two as well but caved into peer pressure to put them in ground Lol

I have several other hybrids in pots that have pretty good size. I would put those in ground, but every single fricken one of them had spear pull due to that freeze in March. I'm waiting on them to recuperate and I may put them in ground late summer. 

But yeah, certainly not a bad idea to keep it protected the first year or two. I look forward to seeing how these do for us. Post some pics of their progress whenever they pick up speed!

On 4/24/2017, 10:30:07, Palm crazy said:

Here is a photo of my mule palm x Butyagrus nabonnandii taken minutes ago this evening. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. It taken some time for mine to grow this size but its pick up speed in the last two years. I have no idea why this palm is doing so well for me, I have had some spear pull in the pass but very little leaf damage go figure.  Way hardier than the livistona chinensis in the lower corner. 

DSC00026.JPG

At first glance that looks like a Queen, then you see some of the butia. Very pretty and elegant. Get you a B x J X S from Gayland! I saw that he has at least several more.

On 4/24/2017, 9:53:41, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

So far JxB is hardier than even pure butia or pure jubaea; solid 8a palms, if not 7b.  Bxj is also just about as hardy. 

Bjxq appears to be a tad hardier than a mule. My jxs went to 18 in the pot without issue and i pulled it inside before it went any colder. One is now in the ground. 

Great information. I have a J x S that was looking absolutely stunning; then it had spear pull. This has been the worst year for spear pull.

If you had to rank these hybrids from most to least tolerant of cold and wet, what would they be? Or are they all about the same?

10 hours ago, smithgn said:

Steve, I debated on keeping them in a pot for one growing season or two as well but caved into peer pressure to put them in ground Lol

I have several other hybrids in pots that have pretty good size. I would put those in ground, but every single fricken one of them had spear pull due to that freeze in March. I'm waiting on them to recuperate and I may put them in ground late summer. 

But yeah, certainly not a bad idea to keep it protected the first year or two. I look forward to seeing how these do for us. Post some pics of their progress whenever they pick up speed!

At first glance that looks like a Queen, then you see some of the butia. Very pretty and elegant. Get you a B x J X S from Gayland! I saw that he has at least several more.

Great information. I have a J x S that was looking absolutely stunning; then it had spear pull. This has been the worst year for spear pull.

If you had to rank these hybrids from most to least tolerant of cold and wet, what would they be? Or are they all about the same?

I agree with planting in the ground and protecting the first two years thats what I did with my JxBF2 and it got a solid root system that way.  

Your right about my mule palm it has a lot of queen in it I think, it also only get about 4.5 −5 hours of full sun causing is to stretch some. But once it get bigger it will get more sun in the late afternoon in summer. My JxB doesn’t get any sun at all for 3 months in winter but it doing very well for me… both palms are about the same in hardiness for me. The BxQ is in a more protected microclimate with a little bit of overhead protection which helps a lot and gives it a little bit more of an edge.  My BxJ is my least hardy but has done really good so far, its planted in to much shade and is the slowest palm also. Any mule palm that is cross with Jubaea is hardiest for me.  I love to see yours at the end of the growing season to see how much it has grown so please updates so we all can see… good luck with yours very good investment. 

As luck would have it I have to get my car fixed and so no money this year for any new palms….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48  

Edited by Palm crazy

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. 

I have one of these growing nicely in the South West corner of the UK. It has been planted for approx 5 years now and has grown a lot in that time, and seen some sub zero temperatures which have not damaged it. 

It responds well to my drip irrigation, and seems to be quite a heavy feeder. Other than that it seems happy enough in our climate.

One of my favourite palms - i love it!

20170430_164845.jpg

20170430_164908.jpg

20170430_164940.jpg

20170430_164959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 4/23/2017, 11:49:02, smithgn said:

I also bought a strap leaf one from Penny's Palms on E-bay last spring.  It is in a 3 gallon pot and went pinnate by the end of the summer.  I kept it in my little 6x6 greenhouse over the winter.  It didn't see temps much below freezing (the heater was set to turn on at 35, but the thermometer showed a couple nights when it got to 32 in there).  The plumeria and other less hardy stuff did just fine.  Even with seeing only mild temps the BxJxS did have a minor spear pull.  More like the spear kind of dried up and snapped off right where it emerged, but the rest of the spear below was fine.  It has since pushed a few more leaves and seems happy.  I think I am going to put it in the ground soon and hope for the best.       

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018, 1:03:21, RJ said:

Joe did your BXJXS from Penny make it through last winter? 

Yes!  However, protected with lights, frost cloth and thermo-cube.  It still suffered some damage to the spear, and was very slow to put out any growth.  It has just finally recovered to the size it was last year at this time.  So alive in 2018, but it shows no real net increase in size from 2017.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Yes!  However, protected with lights, frost cloth and thermo-cube.  It still suffered some damage to the spear, and was very slow to put out any growth.  It has just finally recovered to the size it was last year at this time.  So alive in 2018, but it shows no real net increase in size from 2017.

Good to know, how would you rate it against the mule that you have? That looks great BTW! I have one from Penny as well as a mule from him. 

It sounds like you protect it the same way as your mule then? And pictures of it? :D Really want to see what one looks with some size on it before I put it in the ground, 

• 9 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 11:58 AM, RJ said:

Good to know, how would you rate it against the mule that you have? That looks great BTW! I have one from Penny as well as a mule from him. 

It sounds like you protect it the same way as your mule then? And pictures of it? :D Really want to see what one looks with some size on it before I put it in the ground, 

The (bxj)xs compared to the bxs when it was the same size is slower but has slightly thicker leaves.  It used to be more squat like a Butia, but this year has picked up some steam and put out some longer fronds.  The bxs never has any spear pull for me when it was small, but this one seems to always have some sort of spear damage in the spring.  Hopefully it will grow out of that.

15664066023121641406622.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good Joe. Thanks for the updated picture. Is that last years damaged leaf I see at 6 o'clock or this years? 

44 minutes ago, RJ said:

Looking good Joe. Thanks for the updated picture. Is that last years damaged leaf I see at 6 o'clock or this years? 

At 6 o'clock was the closed emerging spear that overwintered 2019.  So no pull this past winter, just lost part of that one, and the tip of the one following. Everything above that is growth for 2019 spring/summer.  It seems to just get funky down in there with no growth for the cold months.

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

*Bump* Any updates on this palm @Joe NC @RJ @sashaeffer

Mine are chugging along in pots like my entire collection at the moment. :rolleyes: Life in a rental. :rant:

@RJ I feel your pain I'm not putting any new palms In the ground since i know were not in our forever home. Still any updates are appreciated =) B)

T J 

18 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

Does this help?

Right on! 

Is that the one from Penny? Probably the same source as two of mine. Doubt it flinched this past winter. 

52 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

Yes and yes.  I actually have 2 but this is the nicer one.

Have you been down to see him? I haven't seen him in a couple years. He has a nice beefy washy growing in his back yard at the time. Great chap!

Nope, been a couple years for me too.  I might give him a call when all this virus mess blows over.  

Honestly, I think I might actually have enough palms now (can there be such a thing?).  At least, there is nothing specific i’m really looking for intently.  Except maybe a couple Brahea species I want to try.   Or a decent sized JxB.  In my mind the holy grail would be to actually get a Jubaea established here but I have had no luck with seeds or seedlings...

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

*Bump* Any updates on this palm @Joe NC @RJ @sashaeffer

JBS.jpg.2f0c9cee2ce6568791741c2afd98abcb.jpg

Just starting to push out some new growth, the oldest 2 or 3 leaves had completely browned and were trimmed.  Maybe a small spot on the new spear from the winter.  No protection this year, but only one night with a low of 22.

I seriously hacked back the azalea blob behind it, hopefully more afternoon sun will help it put on more growth this year.  The little bit of J in there definitely seems to slow it way down compared to the BxS.  

• Like 2

Same source as above in a 25g

image.jpg

Smaller in a 5 g same source

image.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Turtlesteve Thanks for your update , how would you rate its speed of growth, how about compared to a regular mule ? @RJ the 25g looks great how long have you had it ? I'm really torn if I should get one =/ 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Turtlesteve Thanks for your update , how would you rate its speed of growth, how about compared to a regular mule ? @RJ the 25g looks great how long have you had it ? I'm really torn if I should get one =/ 

Well, I had a regular mule too but I killed it as we had an awful freeze the first winter it was planted.  Both hybrids grew at nearly the same rate, while the mule was still living.  These are faster than anything else I've grown so far, guessing about twice the growth rate of the average Butia I would say.  These were planted last year so they are pretty well rooted at this point.  I expect them to really take off when it gets hot.

@RJ - your 25 gallon specimen has quite a bit of size on mine.....you better get this thing in the ground somewhere while you can still move it ;)

Edited by Turtlesteve
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

These are faster than anything else I've grown so far, guessing about twice the growth rate of the average Butia I would say. 

Thanks Turtle that's exactly what I needed to hear to decide to get one. If it's even , almost as fast as my normal mule then it's a winner. 

T J 

18 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

3 years now IIRC.  It likes it's water like most mules. 

@RJ that's impressive for being pot bound I'm sure once it's in the ground it will be much happier =) 

T J 

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 1:11 PM, Joe NC said:

JBS.jpg.2f0c9cee2ce6568791741c2afd98abcb.jpg

Just starting to push out some new growth, the oldest 2 or 3 leaves had completely browned and were trimmed. 

20200704_091903.thumb.jpg.f3566db89e986be475d9ec3913c6304e.jpg

Just over 2 months later.... Maybe it has finally settled in and will start to grow like a mule.   Was worth the brutal azalea hacking to give it more sun.