kutsalangemon

I germinated a supermarket coconut

Cluster
On 3/4/2020 at 1:43 AM, GottmitAlex said:

Does it have water inside the nut?

I confirm it still has plenty.

JLM

@GottmitAlex

I noticed an eye cracking today. Moved the nut around to see from a different angle, and the rest of the shell in the eye fell out!! Northing there though, i felt of the area under where the eye was and it was soft so maybe soon or its dead?

GottmitAlex
4 minutes ago, JLM said:

@GottmitAlex

I noticed an eye cracking today. Moved the nut around to see from a different angle, and the rest of the shell in the eye fell out!! Northing there though, i felt of the area under where the eye was and it was soft so maybe soon or its dead?

It's emerging (sprouting). Good luck. 

• Like 1

JLM

:yay:

• Like 1

JLM

@GottmitAlex

I checked on this dude today and found that the eye was completely open, i investigated further by tipping it over, and water came out onto my hand. My conclusion: The eye rotted out. Time to discard and whenever i go back to publix ill see if i can get a good one, or two.

GottmitAlex
38 minutes ago, JLM said:

@GottmitAlex

I checked on this dude today and found that the eye was completely open, i investigated further by tipping it over, and water came out onto my hand. My conclusion: The eye rotted out. Time to discard and whenever i go back to publix ill see if i can get a good one, or two.

That will happen. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirts!

Same thing happens in habitat. Not all mature coconuts make it.  Survival of the fittest.

kutsalangemon

I germinated a new one. Looks quite healthy. The first one (3,5 years old) looks fine also

IMG-2334.jpg

IMG-2332.jpg

BB17F1F1-197D-43C0-974B-180C5CD52575.JPG

IMG-2303.jpg

• Like 6

Stylez
On 2/16/2020 at 4:06 PM, Cluster said:

I have never been able to sprout one indoors Lisbon :rant:, anyone in Europe with luck? I start to think our fruit is already dead.

After reading and watching youtube videos a lot i came across this forum.

Normally i never talk in forums and such but i decided to give it a shot.
I managed to germinate 2 coconuts and yes i live in Europe, cause that is your answer.

to be precise i live in the Netherlands.

To be honest i failed like 6 coconuts before i got succes.

One of the coconuts already died after a few weeks since the water inside passed the sprout.

The other one is still good i guess and it's almost a month old since the first crack in the eye.

It feels like its not growing fast. but here the coconut.

IMG-20200505-WA0008.thumb.jpg.001a1d5bddab782eaa25095481fd6add.jpg

• Like 2

Cluster
8 hours ago, Stylez said:

After reading and watching youtube videos a lot i came across this forum.

Normally i never talk in forums and such but i decided to give it a shot.
I managed to germinate 2 coconuts and yes i live in Europe, cause that is your answer.

to be precise i live in the Netherlands.

To be honest i failed like 6 coconuts before i got succes.

One of the coconuts already died after a few weeks since the water inside passed the sprout.

The other one is still good i guess and it's almost a month old since the first crack in the eye.

It feels like its not growing fast. but here the coconut.

IMG-20200505-WA0008.thumb.jpg.001a1d5bddab782eaa25095481fd6add.jpg

Thank you!

Maybe we just have more dead coconuts than the rest of the people here trying this out. Our ratio of success is very low, I believe I am sprouting one successfully now as well:)

Stylez
On 5/5/2020 at 11:33 PM, Cluster said:

Thank you!

Maybe we just have more dead coconuts than the rest of the people here trying this out. Our ratio of success is very low, I believe I am sprouting one successfully now as well:)

maybe if i look @ myself i am not giving it  the best conditions. It isn't looking so good. My guess is that it will die. 

Stylez

@kutsalangemon

If i compare your 1.5 year palm and the 3.5 year palm the 1.5 year palm looks better. It isn't bigger after the 1.5 year?

NOT A TA
On 5/5/2020 at 5:33 PM, Cluster said:

Maybe we just have more dead coconuts than the rest of the people here trying this out.

Part of the problem may be because the supermarket coconuts are picked waaaay BEFORE maturity. If we want them for water and the meat (here S FL) we pick them months before they're fully developed. They taste better and are easier to open. So as a seed they haven't been allowed to fully develop. One's I want as seeds I let fully mature on the tree till they drop. Some places where coconuts are grown as a food crop to sell in supermarkets may pick them earlier than others so there may be a lot of variables involved around the world. 

• Like 3

GottmitAlex
36 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Part of the problem may be because the supermarket coconuts are picked waaaay BEFORE maturity. If we want them for water and the meat (here S FL) we pick them months before they're fully developed. They taste better and are easier to open. So as a seed they haven't been allowed to fully develop. One's I want as seeds I let fully mature on the tree till they drop. Some places where coconuts are grown as a food crop to sell in supermarkets may pick them earlier than others so there may be a lot of variables involved around the world. 

Yes. It is a crapshoot.

But worth it.:D

kutsalangemon
23 hours ago, Stylez said:

@kutsalangemon

If i compare your 1.5 year palm and the 3.5 year palm the 1.5 year palm looks better. It isn't bigger after the 1.5 year?

Yes It is not that big for 3.5 years old one. It stopped fast growing after I changed its pot to a bigger one 1,5 year ago. It is growing slowly. 

Stylez

isn't the reason cause it lacks food now? cause it gets the food in the first year out of the nut.

I am still trying some new ones to germinate and the last one had a little crack so i was happy.

this morning it finally popped out and it was really big. After an hour i know why it just popped the whole nipple out of it.

Is this just bad luck or is it my fault that this happens?

20200521_125800.jpg

kutsalangemon

This is my new video for newbie coconut

• Like 3

JLM

I tried a 3rd time, this time around i figured i would have more sucess since it is now summer. I have had sucess! My method was different though. I left it in water, the water stayed at above 85 degrees and hardly ever dipped below that, it was usually 93 at its highest. This helped in the germination process. This nut germinated in 19 days.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

JLM

@Stylez

Either that was just bad luck or too much pressure. If it was too hot it could have popped under pressure.

palmsOrl

I tried this with a number of store bought nuts late last summer and kept them outside in a large plastic container for storing yard tools and supplies so they would stay nice and hot but away from hungry vermin.  I kept them in plastic Ziploc bags so that the endosperm stayed dry but the bag had a bit of water in the bottom to maintain 100% humidity.

Several of them ended up sprouting but then I started a new job and got attached, forgot about them and they had to all be tossed at a later date.

• Like 1

JLM

@palmsOrl

I might just have to try again with water, it works! Once i noticed the sprout a put it in a bag with a tad bit of water. I just sit the bag in the water it germinated in for continued warmth. I have noticed movement from the other day so its still trucking! I did throw a bit of H2O2 in there, about 1 or 2 small squirts into the water to keep it cleanish. Hopefully that will keep the nut from molding aswell in its future in the bag. Basically the same process as Rickybobby did on his youtube channel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex
On 6/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, GottmitAlex said:

Here's an update.

15605376027584858283888935010404.jpg

15605376387061060630784439270986.jpg

From this to this in one year:

20200710_002818.jpg

20200710_002828.jpg

• Like 1

GottmitAlex

16017614479223833592817977288189.jpg

16017614732603152526302965531621.jpg

• Like 3

Stylez

@JLM

I tried some others and some had the same result. my guess is that it is the pressure/hot.

what temperature is good for it?

My first attempts where rubbish. Then i tried to heat it for better results which got me a bit of a sprout. But yeah the method wasn't the best so it died fast after it.
After these attempts i just had enough of it and wanted to do it good so i bought a propagator with a heating mat.

I set the temperature @ 28 degrees  which should make the temperature in the propagator 28 degrees.
my guess is maybe set it on 24?

or would that not be the case.

I also got a other question, cause a few months ago i bought a palm from the store which probably would be like 6 months old or so.

It grows well and is really green but after a year when the food is out of the nut what should i give it? 
I live in the Netherlands so i don't have execs to a lot of stuff.

for the record i use degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit.

Edited by Stylez
  • Like 1

JLM

On the other palm situation i cant exactly think of anything right now, my dog chewed everything off my foxtail and is in deep trouble. Although pictures of this palm would really help!

For the coconut, mine that did sprout died. I tried another one but it popped out the embryo into the water it was in. 26C is equal to about 80F, so generally anywhere from 26-32C should be fine. 26-32C is equal to 80-90F, so this is a good temperature range. I think the biggest factor is the consistency of the heat, so as long as heat is continuous it should sprout. Goodluck!

Stylez

So far i did get 3 coconuts which cracked. But soon after the crack they just pop out of it. ( as you can see in the picture i posted some months ago ) 

I will try 24 degrees with the new ones in the hope it lowers the pressure if it's there.

You also had the sprout just pop out of the embryo?

Edited by Stylez
  • Like 1

JLM
56 minutes ago, Stylez said:

You also had the sprout just pop out of the embryo?

Indeed i did. I have another in water, but i havent been able to keep the heat constant.