IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I germinated a supermarket coconut

kutsalangemon

This is Mehmet from Istanbul, Turkey. Last year I germinated a coconut but it burned and died because of extreme hot. Then this February I bought another coconut from supermarket to germinate and it goes really well and fast. It is almost 2.5 months. What do you suggest to do? keeping in freezer bag is ok or need to plant it to flowerpot?

1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 11

I would wait for it to at least have the first leaf started.

Two days ago I potted mine.

20170405_163446 (Large).jpg

20170405_163513 (Large).jpg

20170420_113703 (Large).jpg

20170420_113629(0) (Large).jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 9

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Nice work to both of you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 8 months later...

My coconut has been becoming bigger and bigger day by day. It is 10 months old. It is about 1 metres for now. It looks so healty and green. I keep it indoor in front of the window so It gets so much light from sun. Next summer I plan to move it to south of Turkey and try if it is gonna survive there or not.

IMG-3015.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 6

Nice job! You coconut is looking good. Mine is not as tall as yours. It's about two feet.

20171209_075707.jpg

20171209_075702.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Here's another angle. Taken today.

It is about 2 1/2 feet.

20171230_114409.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

• 4 weeks later...

Your coconut is growing quickly and is indeed very healthy! I am been wanting to try this, but the supermarkets here sell coconuts that have been "cut" around in a full circle to make them easier to break. Would this affect germination? 

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

If it has a lot of water inside, I would give it a try. 

If during or before the germination process, it loses its water. Then the probability of a successful germination would be grim.

I have had a coconut lose its water during the process because there was a minuscule crack on the endocarp. It was unnoticeable. However inside the bag with the heat and all, it expanded a tad and gushed out all it water.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I took this pic today. My coconut doing really well.It is almost 1.5 year old

image_123923953.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 8

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, kutsalangemon said:

I took the pic today. Coconut doing really well, around 150 cm.

hindistan cevizi.JPG

Just awesome. Mine has been slower but still trucking fine 

BFD5F147-82FF-42E3-BAA9-E0F2B99C8FB1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The store-bought golden tall has been steadily growing and putting out more pinnate leaflets.

20180824_213545.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It looks fantastic Alex, how do you know which type of coconut it is? Was it advertised as a golden tall? I've never seen coconuts labeled by variety here in Oz, only by where they come from, the only ones I've seen labelled by variety are young plants in the nursery but not actual nuts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

The store-bought golden tall has been steadily growing and putting out more pinnate leaflets.

20180824_213545.jpg

It looks nice. Mine is home inside one with lots of sunshine and no climate effect so It really grows quickly but I dunno what to do next year since It may not be short enough to live at home.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It looks fantastic Alex, how do you know which type of coconut it is? Was it advertised as a golden tall? I've never seen coconuts labeled by variety here in Oz, only by where they come from, the only ones I've seen labelled by variety are young plants in the nursery but not actual nuts.

Thank you. The "chiquita-banana"-style label on every dehusked coco in the store read: "Product of Jal, Mex" (State of Jalisco in Mexico). Hence that would make it a Mexican Pacific tall. It was sheer luck though for it to have been a Golden variety. It germinated in the outhouse bathroom and its shoot was green. It wasn't until the first stem/petiole appeared when I couldn't  help but notice its beautiful golden color.

20180812_112621.thumb.jpg.be0701dd109258

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Thank you. The "chiquita-banana"-style label on every dehusked coco in the store read: "Product of Jal, Mex" (State of Jalisco in Mexico). Hence that would make it a Mexican Pacific tall. It was sheer luck though for it to have been a Golden variety. It germinated in the outhouse bathroom and its shoot was green. It wasn't until the first stem/petiole appeared when I couldn't  help but notice its beautiful golden color.

I as bit too late to add today's pic to my previous message, but here it is. 

20180826_105953-2241x3984.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Today I could t resist. These look way smaller than my Malayan dwarf I bought earlier this year. But still from Dominican

BA143483-3342-4C26-9155-0164851D54CA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

I as bit too late to add today's pic to my previous message, but here it is. 

20180826_105953-2241x3984.jpg

Thanks for your reply. That's a really healthy looking little palm, it looks to be growing quite quickly judging by previous photos,  you've definitely picked a spot that makes it happy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have always wanted to germinate a supermarket coconut. I tried a while ago but it never worked, it just got moldy. Maybe I should try again before the summer ends.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Just keep trying. It's odd, however on some it seems they applied a chemical of some sort. Eventually you will acquire a sprout. That's when the fun begins.

If we were in a true tropical region, we would not be having this conversation.

:D

• Like 2

I am going to attempt this. I will use the larger coconut on the left for trying to germinate and the smaller one for eating. 

20180828_143427.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I have it soaking now, I dont think I need anything to hold it down since only a tiny but at the top is above the water. 

20180828_153953.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

2 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have it soaking now, I dont think I need anything to hold it down since only a tiny but at the top is above the water. 

20180828_153953.jpg

Is it floating? if it doesn't, soak the other one. Viable ones will float. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Is it floating? if it doesn't, soak the other one. Viable ones will float. 

Yeah it floats, the bucket is not that big though and the coconut almost touches the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

On 25/08/2018, 16:06:08, kutsalangemon said:

I took the pic today. Coconut doing really well, around 150 cm.

hindistan cevizi.JPG

Hi Mehmet!

Your palm looks perfect! It seems it's growing fast and it likes how you take care of it. Do you keep it outside during the summer?

What are plans for the future? Will you grow it until will reach the ceiling and then try to plant it outside in a good microclimate in the south of Turkey with some winter covering? Or is there an option after to grow indoors in Istanbul in some covert botanical garden or a big shopping mall?

Best regards

Stelios

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 30.08.2018 14:36:41, Stelios said:

Hi Mehmet!

Your palm looks perfect! It seems it's growing fast and it likes how you take care of it. Do you keep it outside during the summer?

What are plans for the future? Will you grow it until will reach the ceiling and then try to plant it outside in a good microclimate in the south of Turkey with some winter covering? Or is there an option after to grow indoors in Istanbul in some covert botanical garden or a big shopping mall?

Best regards

Stelios

Hi Stelios

It really grows fast. I keep it indoor always in front of window, almost 5-6 hours of direct sun. 

Plans for the future is still unclear. If had a chance, I'ld give it to you :) I may grant it to a hotel in Antalya or botanical garden. I'ld like to plant it in my summer house in Bodrum, but the problem here is I only go there 15 days in a year. So who is gonna take care of it is a big problem. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kutsalangemon said:

Hi Stelios

It really grows fast. I keep it indoor always in front of window, almost 5-6 hours of direct sun. 

Plans for the future is still unclear. If had a chance, I'ld give it to you :) I may grant it to a hotel in Antalya or botanical garden. I'ld like to plant it in my summer house in Bodrum, but the problem here is I only go there 15 days in a year. So who is gonna take care of it is a big problem. 

I hear ya. If my palm survives I may donate it to the local palm guy or phone around we will see a lot of people say it can’t be grown indoors and make it that Long. I guess we will see eh?

• Like 1

Ok guys I posted last Sunday that I bought two new coconut seeds from the grocery store. Well my experience timing and luck seem to working for me. Less than a week sowing looks I have action!

its hard to see but you can see the eye cracking apart as it lifts 

28770F72-138E-4154-A345-14CE98DF36A3.thu

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Ok guys I posted last Sunday that I bought two new coconut seeds from the grocery store. Well my experience timing and luck seem to working for me. Less than a week sowing looks I have action!

its hard to see but you can see the eye cracking apart as it lifts 

28770F72-138E-4154-A345-14CE98DF36A3.thu

You've certainly got the Midas touch with germinating these things! How much more warm weather do you have before the cooler weather comes in? Yesterday was the first day of spring here in Oz, we've had an unusually cold and wet winter in Perth, it's broken all sorts of records for all sorts of different reasons right across the country, I hope you have a mild winter for your palms. Do you still get bright days in the winter?  I know yoy probablycan't put your palms outside but a sunny spot near a window would help them. Good luck mate, you've done really well with them so far.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

After soaking for 3 days in a bucket I put it in a bag and into a bowl and set it in a room in my house that has a bunch of electronics and stuff on all the time that sometimes gets to 85 degrees when the TV is on. 

20180901_212459.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

You've certainly got the Midas touch with germinating these things! How much more warm weather do you have before the cooler weather comes in? Yesterday was the first day of spring here in Oz, we've had an unusually cold and wet winter in Perth, it's broken all sorts of records for all sorts of different reasons right across the country, I hope you have a mild winter for your palms. Do you still get bright days in the winter?  I know yoy probablycan't put your palms outside but a sunny spot near a window would help them. Good luck mate, you've done really well with them so far.

Thanks so much. I could almost see the high spot in the store. Always good water splashing. I did  have a couple don’t kid me wrong we’re duds and the water came out. But so far I’m 2 for 4 germinating which is excellent. Weather right now is 86 degrees 30c everyday and 65 percent humidity day times with 90 percent might time humidity. Been this way most of the summer thankfully. So yes they will come in for the winter I have a room designated for my palms. Bright window a lot of led grow lights and the room is separately heated when need be. Should be interesting so far I’ve had good luck through the last winter. I know the coconut is a stretch but you always read about how hard it is to grow a store bought coconut and really it’s easy. I have those babies in ziploc bags with water in them in direct sun cooking !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

After soaking for 3 days in a bucket I put it in a bag and into a bowl and set it in a room in my house that has a bunch of electronics and stuff on all the time that sometimes gets to 85 degrees when the TV is on. 

20180901_212459.jpg

This is not bad better than room temp. My first coco I germinated I had it in a ziploc back and then I placed it in a bucket of water but I had an aquarium heater in it with it set to 90 at all times. Which is cheaper to run and this worked very well for me during the winter months. First but for me took 3 months 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

I`ve got a few ones growing from our local coconut palms, two washed ashore ones and ONE

from an Indian shop in Tokyo, selling (dehusked) Indian coconuts. 

Sprouted around last October - here it is:

009.thumb.jpg.17e8d10f677c7399ad6cc12a16

It is doing very well - I am very happy about it.

Best regards and please keep the pictures coming -

Lars

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Thanks so much. I could almost see the high spot in the store. Always good water splashing. I did  have a couple don’t kid me wrong we’re duds and the water came out. But so far I’m 2 for 4 germinating which is excellent. Weather right now is 86 degrees 30c everyday and 65 percent humidity day times with 90 percent might time humidity. Been this way most of the summer thankfully. So yes they will come in for the winter I have a room designated for my palms. Bright window a lot of led grow lights and the room is separately heated when need be. Should be interesting so far I’ve had good luck through the last winter. I know the coconut is a stretch but you always read about how hard it is to grow a store bought coconut and really it’s easy. I have those babies in ziploc bags with water in them in direct sun cooking !

Mate, have a look at these, I found these pics online, maybe you could have a go at doing something like this with one of your coconuts. If it works out you could keep one indefinitely!

image.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my store bought Coconut, it is sprouting! It is taking its time, but growing! I had to open the bag a few days after I put it in the bag because it got really moldy. So instead of keeping the bag closed, I opened the top (the top kind of leaned over a bit, so there is not an opening right at the top, it is kind of to the side) and then just filled the bag so the coconut was half in water and half out. The water very slowly evaporates over time and the coconut is pretty much completely wet all over all the time. Here it is, I am assuming this just sprouted in the past three days or so, I have not checked it for about a week until now. 

20180928_222833.jpg

1538188502610560.jpg

1538188502892306.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

• 2 months later...

My coconut stop growing. Last September it fall down from pot and then I changed its pot to a bigger one and cut some of its leaves. the room is hot enough for it. It look quite healty but It doesnt grow. There is a new leaf on the way from September but It has not been moving since september but look quite green. I actually dont understand why it doesnt grow. Any ideas?

IMG_7116.jpeg

IMG_7117.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

Edited by kutsalangemon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2