IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I germinated a supermarket coconut

kutsalangemon

1 hour ago, JLM said:

This is so inspiring that when i was walking through the store, they had coconuts on sale 2 for $5, so i grabbed the 2 best sounding and looking ones. Made sure they had some juice in them. I have one soaking, the other will be held on too for if the first one fails. These are from Dominican Republic. One thing i need to know is how long it needs to soak for, i have seen several weeks and i have seen several days. 

Nice!

24 hours. Make sure they float.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Nice!

24 hours. Make sure they float.

Both of them was floating, i chose the one that floated more than the other. Im honestly surprised about the one i chose because it was fairly heavy being such a small coconut!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I have never been able to sprout one indoors Lisbon :rant:, anyone in Europe with luck? I start to think our fruit is already dead.

@GottmitAlex

I have now taken the coconut out of the water, which was actually really cold for some reason, and put it in a bag in a bowl in front of a heat fan, which i have now heated my room to 78 degrees. I hope the cold water is not a problem.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

8 minutes ago, JLM said:

@GottmitAlex

I have now taken the coconut out of the water, which was actually really cold for some reason, and put it in a bag in a bowl in front of a heat fan, which i have now heated my room to 78 degrees. I hope the cold water is not a problem.

Great! Tge water should be be a problem. It was only to soak it thoroughly. 

From now on don't let the temps drop from 78F.  It's still a gamble. Not because of your temps, but because of genetics.  Not each and every mature coco germinates. Survival of the fittest. That's only nature.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

56 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Great! Tge water should be be a problem. It was only to soak it thoroughly. 

From now on don't let the temps drop from 78F.  It's still a gamble. Not because of your temps, but because of genetics.  Not each and every mature coco germinates. Survival of the fittest. That's only nature.

Typo: The water shouldn't be a problem*

• Like 1

Shoot i didnt even notice lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Typo: The water shouldn't be a problem*

I think its starting to happen, i dont here as much water in the nut than before it was put in water. Is this a good or bad thing, and how long does it usually take to start sprouting? I have had it under the heat fan off and on all day, and my room has stayed in the 80-85 degree range all day. Current room temp is 80 degrees.

7 minutes ago, JLM said:

I think its starting to happen, i dont here as much water in the nut than before it was put in water. Is this a good or bad thing, and how long does it usually take to start sprouting? I have had it under the heat fan off and on all day, and my room has stayed in the 80-85 degree range all day. Current room temp is 80 degrees.

Could take days, could take months. 

5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Could take days, could take months. 

oof im getting impatient lol. I need to learn patients! Hopefully this doesnt take months cause i would like to have it growing by mid-spring, but nature doesnt always comply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLM said:

oof im getting impatient lol. I need to learn patients! Hopefully this doesnt take months cause i would like to have it growing by mid-spring, but nature doesnt always comply.

If memory serves, I believe I purchased mine on a July day and germinated in November.

19 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

If memory serves, I believe I purchased mine on a July day and germinated in November.

First coconut FAILED. It molded overnight and throughout the day, it was 90 degrees this morning when i woke up. Second coconut soaking! Take Two!!! I know it wasnt roots because it was in more places than one.

Edited by JLM

I know what i did wrong though, i never put it in a warm, dark place. I guess its going in the attic or in with the water heater. I guess ill carck open the failed nut and see what it looked like inside. Unless i should clean it off and keep trying? Ive never done anything remotely close to anything like this before so i have no clue lol

Edited by JLM

19 minutes ago, JLM said:

I know what i did wrong though, i never put it in a warm, dark place. I guess its going in the attic or in with the water heater. I guess ill carck open the failed nut and see what it looked like inside. Unless i should clean it off and keep trying? Ive never done anything remotely close to anything like this before so i have no clue lol

If at first you don't succeed....

Keep trying. Remember, even coconuts live by survival of the fittest. Not all mature coconuts which drop from the palm germinate. Even the ones who do, perish shortly thereafter.

1.-Make sure it has a lot of water inside.

2.-Soak in water for 24 hours inside a 5 gal bucket with a brick atop the coco(s) so it will submerge)

3.- Take out the brick, make sure the coco(s) float.

4.- Place each coco in a 1 gallon+ bag with a handful of water. Make sure the water does not touch the coco. (coco and water on opposite sides/corners) make sure you have a bowl beneath the coco (and bag) side in order so the water does not touch the coco.

5.- keep in in a warm place.

6.- you may see a sprout once you do, keep in in the bag until the first green shoot appears (even if it's a golden or green, the first shoot will always be green). Add water to the opposite corner smartly.

Once the shoot (I forget the scientific name) begins to protrude the top of the bag,  plant it in a pot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLM said:

First coconut FAILED. It molded overnight and throughout the day, it was 90 degrees this morning when i woke up.

From Saturday till today it failed? I don't see how, has it even started to pop an eye?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

If at first you don't succeed....

Keep trying. Remember, even coconuts live by survival of the fittest. Not all mature coconuts which drop from the palm germinate. Even the ones who do, perish shortly thereafter.

1.-Make sure it has a lot of water inside.

2.-Soak in water for 24 hours inside a 5 gal bucket with a brick atop the coco(s) so it will submerge)

3.- Take out the brick, make sure the coco(s) float.

4.- Place each coco in a 1 gallon+ bag with a handful of water. Make sure the water does not touch the coco. (coco and water on opposite sides/corners) make sure you have a bowl beneath the coco (and bag) side in order so the water does not touch the coco.

5.- keep in in a warm place.

6.- you may see a sprout once you do, keep in in the bag until the first green shoot appears (even if it's a golden or green, the first shoot will always be green). Add water to the opposite corner smartly.

Once the shoot (I forget the scientific name) begins to protrude the top of the bag,  plant it in a pot.

Great advice! I think one of the problems was the water was touching the coco. 

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

From Saturday till today it failed? I don't see how, has it even started to pop an eye?

Yes, mold has begun to grow on the coco.

Here's a mistake I made with a HD-purchased Malayan Dwarf.  It only had two decent-sized leaves growing out of the top of the coconut, and I didn't realize that the growing point was planted about 4 inches up in the air.  Over the winter the outer coconut shell started rotting away, revealing the high root initiation zone being held up in the air by the inner 4" diameter nut!  You can see the outer husk on the bottom left, the inner nut on the left, and the growing pint and air roots on the right.  I put a shovel in around where the 4" nut is located, and pulled out a few inches of dirt from down deep.  It's now planted at the right depth...so don't do this with your new coconuts!

P1050759.JPG.ee38787fc40cac9140443521ae5cb34f.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JLM said:

Great advice! I think one of the problems was the water was touching the coco. 

Yes, mold has begun to grow on the coco.

And make sure you don't pick any "young"/asian cocos (These are preferred for their water, however they are not mature and will only mold). These will usually be whitish/light colored.

Sweet-coconut-young-coconut-Diamond-shape-coconut.jpg

young.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2

@GottmitAlex @NOT A TA

When i cracked the moldy nut open today, it was soft on inside between the meat and the shell. There was also holes inside of the meat and the water inside has a film over it. Never looked inside a coconut before so im not sure if this is normal. I have suspicion that the nut was cracked on the outside and the water on the inside was slowly seeping through. Also, second nut is coming out of the water and into a bag here in the next hour. Has been fully submerged for almost 24 hours!

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

Don't break the next one open. Almost everything organic will get moldy if you put it in a dark, wet, and warm place. It takes time to sprout any seed. Some are faster than others and require certain conditions. Coconuts will sprout quicker with higher temps like 90+ F but will still sprout at temps in the 70's and low 80's.

tenor.gif?itemid=10391979

• Like 1

Im now confused and frustrated. This coconut has mold everywhere and has a foul smell to it. Do i put it back in the bag and let it keep going? It also had what looked like soap suds on it which is odd because this thing has been in my closet for the past 24 hours. This pic is upon inspection to make sure this wasnt happening. @GottmitAlex @NOT A TA

20200220_184856.jpg

30 minutes ago, JLM said:

Im now confused and frustrated. This coconut has mold everywhere and has a foul smell to it. Do i put it back in the bag and let it keep going? It also had what looked like soap suds on it which is odd because this thing has been in my closet for the past 24 hours. This pic is upon inspection to make sure this wasnt happening. @GottmitAlex @NOT A TA

20200220_184856.jpg

While it was in the bag, was it divorced from water? 

Or was it in water?

• Like 1

@GottmitAlex it was away from water, the part of the bag with water in it is hanging out of the bowl. But i made the ultimate decision to put the nut back in the bag and let it go until it gets too awful bad.

Edited by JLM

Honestly, I do not know about the stench you refer to,  I just keep it in the bag with water but separate from it.  I pour in more water as time goes by until I see a sprout.

Whenever I see whitish mold enveloped around the coco, I discard and replace. 

Make sure you keep it in a warm area. By warm: 72F+ (not talking about highs or lows, I mean, bare minimum)

Here again, been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

It also had what looked like soap suds on it which is odd because this thing has been in my closet for the past 24 hours.

I'm sorry but I have no experience with dehusked store bought coconuts. The ones I use as seeds to grow are all fully mature drops from local trees and I plant them with husk intact in soil so no experience with the various incubator methods using baggies, heated water buckets, etc.

Seems weird that you'd get mold and bad smells in a day. Is anyone aware of any disinfectants or other chemicals being used on nuts sold in grocery stores? Because the soap suds look thing seems strange.  If it were mine I think I'd use some dish detergent and a scrub brush on that nut in the kitchen sink then put in a new bag and see what happens.

In Pensacola you can probably just plant a nut outside in a month or so, water occasionally,  and it'll sprout by mid summer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Honestly, I do not know about the stench you refer to,  I just keep it in the bag with water but separate from it.  I pour in more water as time goes by until I see a sprout.

Whenever I see whitish mold enveloped around the coco, I discard and replace. 

Make sure you keep it in a warm area. By warm: 72F+ (not talking about highs or lows, I mean, bare minimum)

Here again, been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

It is currently 71F in my closet, generally stays around that temp. Although it will likely fall below 70 tonight, its going to get down almost freezing outside tonight, and tomorrow night. So lowest will probably be around 65-68 in there tonight. I wouldnt know how to prevent it.

5 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I'm sorry but I have no experience with dehusked store bought coconuts. The ones I use as seeds to grow are all fully mature drops from local trees and I plant them with husk intact in soil so no experience with the various incubator methods using baggies, heated water buckets, etc.

Seems weird that you'd get mold and bad smells in a day. Is anyone aware of any disinfectants or other chemicals being used on nuts sold in grocery stores? If it were mine I think I'd use some dish detergent and a scrub brush on that nut in the kitchen sink then put in a new bag and see what happens.

In Pensacola you can probably just plant a nut outside in a month or so, water occasionally,  and it'll sprout by mid summer.

I will try cleaning it tomorrow if that wont hurt it. I might just use my hands to scrub it off, but with gloves. Chemicals in stores might be a possibility to make them look better longer? Or to make them last longer? Who knows? I wouldn't personally think about planting a nut outside until early May when we don't have severe storms every week. That's just weather here for January, February, March, and April. We don't get severe storms unless its associated with a cold front, and cold front can bring cold temps down here. Cold enough to prohibit anything like that from sprouting at all.

12 minutes ago, JLM said:

It is currently 71F in my closet, generally stays around that temp. Although it will likely fall below 70 tonight, its going to get down almost freezing outside tonight, and tomorrow night. So lowest will probably be around 65-68 in there tonight. I wouldnt know how to prevent it.

Get a 75watt brood lamp and train it towards the floor in that closet. It will generate heat.  Keep it at least 12" away from the carpet.  You don't want to start a fire.

9 minutes ago, JLM said:

I will try cleaning it tomorrow if that wont hurt it. I might just use my hands to scrub it off, but with gloves. Chemicals in stores might be a possibility to make them look better longer? Or to make them last longer? Who knows? I wouldn't personally think about planting a nut outside until early May when we don't have severe storms every week. That's just weather here for January, February, March, and April. We don't get severe storms unless its associated with a cold front, and cold front can bring cold temps down here. Cold enough to prohibit anything like that from sprouting at all.

Chemicals? Really? 

Don't employ chemicals.

I suggest start from scratch. 

Begin anew.

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Chemicals? Really?

I believe his response was an answer to my question of whether there's a possibility that chemicals are used on store bought cocos to prevent mold growth in storage or perhaps change appearance. I've wondered if the white Asian cocos are bleached.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I believe his response was an answer to my question of whether there's a possibility that chemicals are used on store bought cocos to prevent mold growth in storage or perhaps change appearance. I've wondered if the white Asian cocos are bleached.

When one dehusks young coconuts,  the mesocarp and the endocarp are usually beige/white.  Mature nuts, those are a different matter.

I do not doubt that some companies apply chemicals/pesticides etc on the young ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

I admire you that coconuts sprout and grow. I managed to do it only once and because of my friend's bad advice the seedling died. Later I never managed this process again. Every time a nut germinates, the germ rots or falls off under pressure. Recently, when I tried and had coconuts in a ziploc, they were dry inside. Strange, but I never managed to grow a coconut according to your method.

If the coconut gets mold and smells after being in the bag. It is no good. Toss it. From my experience and I have a ton. Sometimes under heat the eye where the germination happens will basically vent out some water and rot. This is because the coconut is no good to begin with. Slime happens around it as well. A good coconut must have solid eyes unless it is popping to begin with. But what I’m getting at is. If the coconut is no good and you put it on heat. It will rot over night. If you check my YouTube channel I have lots of videos on germinating store bought nuts and what to look for 

• Like 1

@Rickybobby I don't live in North America, so I don't have access to good nuts. Will you give me your YT channel address? In my case sprouts always mildewed and fall off the nut.

2 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

@Rickybobby I don't live in North America, so I don't have access to good nuts. Will you give me your YT channel address? In my case sprouts always mildewed and fall off the nut.

Yeah mon it’s southern Ontario palms and tropicals enjoy!

What if you soak it for one day and it does not float, but then you start the bag method and after a week you check it out again (had to wash it due to mold and noticed the floating) and this time it is floating? Do you discard it?

38 minutes ago, Cluster said:

What if you soak it for one day and it does not float, but then you start the bag method and after a week you check it out again (had to wash it due to mold and noticed the floating) and this time it is floating? Do you discard it?

Does it have water inside the nut?

• Like 1