Jump to content
oviedotreefarm

North Central FL Coconuts

Recommended Posts

Mr. Coconut Palm
19 hours ago, Zeeth said:

It's a green Malayan. I've been watching that coconut for a while. It was damaged, but recovered in 2010 (not replaced). It's the furthest inland long-term coconut in Manatee county that I know of. I feel that the location close to a busy road has helped it a lot.

Then I hope mine can get almost as big and look nearly as good one day!

John

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
19 hours ago, Zeeth said:

It's a green Malayan. I've been watching that coconut for a while. It was damaged, but recovered in 2010 (not replaced). It's the furthest inland long-term coconut in Manatee county that I know of. I feel that the location close to a busy road has helped it a lot.

Thanks Zeeth, that's some good info. You're probably right that the road helps a lot, I know a 4 lane road can boost the area immediately surrounding it by a half zone. Still, I'm surprised to see it there since it doesn't really have anything else going for it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

Here is how the Coconut Palms fared at Leu GArdens after this past January freeze. We had 28F degrees one night. Where the coconuts are growing are in a warmer, protected spot so probably saw about 30F. It was also very windy and this location has some wind protection. All 4 of these palms are planted close to each other.

First one is a 'Panama Tall' planted last year. Fared well, only minor burn.

 

 

cocopt.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

This one is a 'Maypan', also planted last year. It suffered the most damage.

 

 

cocomp.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

 

 

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
6 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is how the Coconut Palms fared at Leu GArdens after this past January freeze. We had 28F degrees one night. Where the coconuts are growing are in a warmer, protected spot so probably saw about 30F. It was also very windy and this location has some wind protection. All 4 of these palms are planted close to each other.

First one is a 'Panama Tall' planted last year. Fared well, only minor burn.

 

 

cocopt.jpg

Very nice. 30f and this? It's nothing. Amazing. A nice golden pacific coco.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
4 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

 

 

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Gorgeous specimens. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
8 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

 

 

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Eric, I never heard of that.  Any idea how common a double sprout is.  I didn't even know that was possible!  Everything looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Pretty difficult to search for, however, I can attest to the fact I have seen a picture of a double sprouted coconut seedling here on palmtalk. My word of honor. Gute nacht.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

I'm not sure of how common it is but it can happen to other palms. These 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii came from one seed. It sprouted at both ends. Once the seed decomposed it was 2 separate plants. But I planted them near each other.

 

 

beccalf1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
41 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I'm not sure of how common it is but it can happen to other palms. These 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii came from one seed. It sprouted at both ends. Once the seed decomposed it was 2 separate plants. But I planted them near each other.

 

 

beccalf1.jpg

Nice. Those are 2 of my favorites there. Must visit for me every time. It was my trigger to buy one. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 dead ones off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
6 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 deads off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

Amazing!  Wonderful 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎28‎:‎21‎, Eric in Orlando said:

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

 

 

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Eric,

Looking pretty good considering the winter they just went through!  I am surprised that the Maypan doesn't look a little better though, because I thought they were supposed to be at least a little cold hardy.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎20‎:‎11‎, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Eric, I never heard of that.  Any idea how common a double sprout is.  I didn't even know that was possible!  Everything looks good.

They are very rare, but I have NEVER heard of two sprouts from opposite ends of the nut!  When it does happen it is usually because 2 of the eyes have embryos, instead of just one eye of the nut having the embryo, which is normal, but another sprout from the opposite end of the nut?  Wow!

John

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 dead ones off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

Eric,

Is the fence on the north side of it, or which side?

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando

The fence is on the NE side of the palm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Great rebound for the I-drive coconut between April and July. All green emerging now. 

IMG_2018-07-02_20-41-00.JPG

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill H2DB

  Here are fresh pics of the Daytona Beach Shores Coconut. I was able to talk to the home occupant.

He has lived there for about 3 yrs .

 It is in critical condition .

I gave him what advice that I could , but this palm has virtually no chance to survive . He does know that it is

a Coconut , and really likes it .  One thing that he did not know , is that he can get a replacement fairly easily .

So , after it goes to Palm Heaven , I will try to help him replace it .

 

29061410777_7326b84c78_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018a by Bill H, on Flickr

 

29061407087_0677a6e93b_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018b by Bill H, on Flickr

 

29061406887_95a8e97d68_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018c by Bill H, on Flickr

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reeverse

Bill you should go check out the one 2 miles north. It's at the tropical manor hotel on the beach. It's doing alot better than all those. It's in a much more protected spot. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

While successful rebuilding its crown, I was surprised to see the I-drive coconut putting out fruit. Pretty impressive for being unprotected and seeing upper 20s. 

20180813_123534.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
On 8/12/2018, 1:48:58, Bill H2DB said:

  Here are fresh pics of the Daytona Beach Shores Coconut. I was able to talk to the home occupant.

He has lived there for about 3 yrs .

 It is in critical condition .

I gave him what advice that I could , but this palm has virtually no chance to survive . He does know that it is

a Coconut , and really likes it .  One thing that he did not know , is that he can get a replacement fairly easily .

So , after it goes to Palm Heaven , I will try to help him replace it .

 

29061410777_7326b84c78_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018a by Bill H, on Flickr

 

29061407087_0677a6e93b_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018b by Bill H, on Flickr

 

29061406887_95a8e97d68_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018c by Bill H, on Flickr

 

That's the one that survived 2010?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bazza

Hit 'em with fungicide if it's not too late......

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill H2DB
On 8/12/2018, 2:16:50, Reeverse said:

Bill you should go check out the one 2 miles north. It's at the tropical manor hotel on the beach. It's doing alot better than all those. It's in a much more protected spot. 

  So , I did....

The Palm is in a nice little Niche for sure , and , being an older Motel , sits up on Ma Nature's dune . Visible burn from last Winter , but strong regrowth .

There is an old small inflorescence hanging there too .

   Te shot from that Parking lot was difficult , as it was morning , and I had to shoot into the Sun.      I worked it over with my editing tools .

You can see the palm just to the left of the Sabal in the pic .

 

42225531290_b1e222a9ed_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos e by Bill H, on Flickr

 

42225526550_c82bbedf24_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos a by Bill H, on Flickr

 

 

43315941094_3e6a3d15c4_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos b by Bill H, on Flickr

 

 

43315941914_0f69c2c7a3_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos c by Bill H, on Flickr

 

 

42225529790_360e16e177_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos d by Bill H, on Flickr

 

 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reeverse

Awesome Bill! Both of those palms are pre 2010. There was a larger one in the parking lot that died after 2010. I think this will be the only surviving coconut in volusia county. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Drone view of my coconut and Christmas palm. Winter damage still growing out but good progress. Also, nothing greens a yard up more than some milorganite. 

PSX_20180825_133850.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

So central Florida...how did everyone's coconuts recover over the summer? Mine is on way... hoping for a mild upcoming winter!

PSX_20180912_200247.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎17‎:‎13‎, Eric in Orlando said:

The fence is on the NE side of the palm.

That makes sense.  If the fence was on the south side of the palm, it wouldn't have provided any protection.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎47‎:‎19‎, pj_orlando_z9b said:

So central Florida...how did everyone's coconuts recover over the summer? Mine is on way... hoping for a mild upcoming winter!

PSX_20180912_200247.jpg

PJ,

I forgot if you protected your Coconut Palm, and if so how?

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

PJ,

I forgot if you protected your Coconut Palm, and if so how?

 

I strung C7 lights around the trunk and wrapped in burlap and bedding sheets. I actually missed the meristem...would go higher next time. While I am able I would also try to throw something over the canopy. I am pretty sure it would have died without the trunk wrap. I pretty much lost the whole crown. 

Screenshot_20180914-225512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180914-225539_Gallery.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
44 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I strung C7 lights around the trunk and wrapped in burlap and bedding sheets. I actually missed the meristem...would go higher next time. While I am able I would also try to throw something over the canopy. I am pretty sure it would have died without the trunk wrap. I pretty much lost the whole crown. 

Screenshot_20180914-225512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180914-225539_Gallery.jpg

PJ,

What is the coldest it got in your yard and how many freezes did you have this past winter?

John

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
On 9/14/2018, 11:44:10, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

PJ,

What is the coldest it got in your yard and how many freezes did you have this past winter?

John

2 freezes. The big one was 28F for 4 hours and under 32F for 6 hours. One other night briefly at 32F. Total 6 nights in the 30s. January had 5 days with highs in the 50s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b

Stopped by smashburger on Rt 50 in orlando. The coconuts have recovered (or are on their way). Here are pics from late April and today. The left one is also sending up inflorescence. They can use an above avg winter. 

20181020_191533.jpg

20181020_202718.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsOrl
On 7/2/2018, 8:43:27, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Great rebound for the I-drive coconut between April and July. All green emerging now. 

IMG_2018-07-02_20-41-00.JPG

Yikes.  I would not have thought that high up from the ground, surrounded by buildings and concrete on the south side of the urban heat island on a night where most locations in Orlando saw upper 20s would have damaged a large tall variety coconut that much.  Meaning, I would have thought the crown of the palm at that location would have seen low 30s from a generally upper 20s night in Orlando (if that makes any sense). But that looks like upper 20s damage.

How cold did it get at the Orlando Executive Airport during the January freezes this year?

I am so glad the Smash Burger ones survived!

Edited by palmsOrl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
25 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Yikes.  I would not have thought that high up from the ground, surrounded by buildings and concrete on the south side of the urban heat island on a night where most locations in Orlando saw upper 20s would have damaged a large tall variety coconut that much.  Meaning, I would have thought the crown of the palm at that location would have seen low 30s from a generally upper 20s night in Orlando (if that makes any sense). But that looks like upper 20s damage.

How cold did it get at the Orlando Executive Airport during the January freezes this year?

I am so glad the Smash Burger ones survived!

It clearly saw upper 20s. The Jan 18th freeze was advective not radiational so elevation did not help. Executive also got to 28f with a high of 54F the next day. Executive also saw a 32F freeze earlier in Jan. Here is that palm today. It is fruiting. 

Screenshot_20181020-213006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181020-213028_Gallery.jpg

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

Those are some nice coconuts! Glad to see they survived! 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeeth

I'm more "West Central Florida", but I'm 2 miles inland, so my coconuts got about the same level of damage as the Orlando coconuts this past winter, but have recovered nicely. Everything is so close together that's tough to get good pics, but here's what I got:

Maypan from Selby Gardens:

IMG_20181020_075251.thumb.jpg.b8f7ace52f

Panama Tall:

MVIMG_20181020_075345.thumb.jpg.0a7bd901

Jamaican tall from Kopsick (this picture didn't turn out great because of the reflection of the sunrise off of the leaves. All of the leaves are actually green):

IMG_20181020_075328.thumb.jpg.4e17e393de

Red Spicata:

IMG_20181020_075348.thumb.jpg.c7481f396c

Orange petiole Hawaiian tall:

IMG_20181020_075306.thumb.jpg.4d759d3f1e

Green Petiole Hawaiian Tall:

IMG_20181020_075315.thumb.jpg.156f24ae06

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew92

There's a coconut (somewhat close to trunking size) I started seeing at a house in Dr. Phillips in July and it had visible cold damage- but through the rest of summer it has skyrocketed and now all green. Will try to get a picture soon.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
6 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I'm more "West Central Florida", but I'm 2 miles inland, so my coconuts got about the same level of damage as the Orlando coconuts this past winter, but have recovered nicely. Everything is so close together that's tough to get good pics, but here's what I got:

Maypan from Selby Gardens:

IMG_20181020_075251.thumb.jpg.b8f7ace52f

Panama Tall:

MVIMG_20181020_075345.thumb.jpg.0a7bd901

Jamaican tall from Kopsick (this picture didn't turn out great because of the reflection of the sunrise off of the leaves. All of the leaves are actually green):

IMG_20181020_075328.thumb.jpg.4e17e393de

Red Spicata:

IMG_20181020_075348.thumb.jpg.c7481f396c

Orange petiole Hawaiian tall:

IMG_20181020_075306.thumb.jpg.4d759d3f1e

Green Petiole Hawaiian Tall:

IMG_20181020_075315.thumb.jpg.156f24ae06

Based on your first picture, I'm wondering if mine is a maypan. They look very similar especially the trunk. I still dont know what kind I have. 

20181021_144416.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pj_orlando_z9b
5 hours ago, Opal92 said:

There's a coconut (somewhat close to trunking size) I started seeing at a house in Dr. Phillips in July and it had visible cold damage- but through the rest of summer it has skyrocketed and now all green. Will try to get a picture soon.

Yes, plz do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • sandgroper
      By sandgroper
      G'day all, just wondering what people think about the little coconut I've got as against the big one. The big one is a golden Malay dwarf, they are quite common in northern Western Australia and mine started out about the same size as the small one I have, I planted it 8 years ago now. The small one I bought about 3 years ago, does anyone think it may be a different variety? The reason I ask is that it is much slower growing than the large one, it is also much greener, the large one has a yellow stem to each frond and always has done even when it was small whereas the small palm has a green stem. The small one has never really been looked after over winters as against the big one which has always been protected in some way, up until this winter, yet the small one always seems to sail through winter almost unscathed. The small one I bought from a backyard nursery in the next suburb across from mine, they have lots of tropical plants they sell regularly but I don't know where they get their stock from. Anyway, curious to know what anyone thinks, any opinions are appreciated, cheers.
       
      2 pics of the small palm and 1 pic of the large palm for comparison. 



    • Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      Saw this on a FB group devoted to our old neighborhood


    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I remeber hearing someone say in a video that Immokalee does not have a good climate for more tender palms, I looked around on Google Maps on Streetview and saw these coconuts. Some look fine while others look horrible. I am kind of confused about this towns climate. Does it get a freeze every few years from being so far inland? What type of stuff would be the limit of what would survive there long term? 




    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Here is the store bought coconut I got from Publix(?) at the very end of last Summer. Over the Fall and Winter (it took it a long time before the first spear was sent up) I germinated it in a plastic bag with the nut half in water. Here it is at the end of Spring, the heat really makes a difference. This coconut had a Dominican Republic tag on it, so what ever variety they grow commercially there is likely what this is. This first picture is when it germinated in late September and the second picture is it today. 


    • SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      It pains me to know that who ever buys these will probably throw them out when they die in the fall and winter...unless they somehow have space indoors??

×
×
  • Create New...