IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

North Central FL Coconuts

oviedotreefarm

19 hours ago, Zeeth said:

It's a green Malayan. I've been watching that coconut for a while. It was damaged, but recovered in 2010 (not replaced). It's the furthest inland long-term coconut in Manatee county that I know of. I feel that the location close to a busy road has helped it a lot.

Then I hope mine can get almost as big and look nearly as good one day!

John

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Zeeth said:

It's a green Malayan. I've been watching that coconut for a while. It was damaged, but recovered in 2010 (not replaced). It's the furthest inland long-term coconut in Manatee county that I know of. I feel that the location close to a busy road has helped it a lot.

Thanks Zeeth, that's some good info. You're probably right that the road helps a lot, I know a 4 lane road can boost the area immediately surrounding it by a half zone. Still, I'm surprised to see it there since it doesn't really have anything else going for it. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Here is how the Coconut Palms fared at Leu GArdens after this past January freeze. We had 28F degrees one night. Where the coconuts are growing are in a warmer, protected spot so probably saw about 30F. It was also very windy and this location has some wind protection. All 4 of these palms are planted close to each other.

First one is a 'Panama Tall' planted last year. Fared well, only minor burn.

cocopt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This one is a 'Maypan', also planted last year. It suffered the most damage.

cocomp.jpg

• Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

6 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is how the Coconut Palms fared at Leu GArdens after this past January freeze. We had 28F degrees one night. Where the coconuts are growing are in a warmer, protected spot so probably saw about 30F. It was also very windy and this location has some wind protection. All 4 of these palms are planted close to each other.

First one is a 'Panama Tall' planted last year. Fared well, only minor burn.

cocopt.jpg

Very nice. 30f and this? It's nothing. Amazing. A nice golden pacific coco.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

These last 2 are 'Green Malayan' and have been in the ground for several years. The first one is a double sprouted specimen I found at a local box store. There was a sprout at each end of the coconut.

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Gorgeous specimens. 

• Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

8 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Eric, I never heard of that.  Any idea how common a double sprout is.  I didn't even know that was possible!  Everything looks good.

Pretty difficult to search for, however, I can attest to the fact I have seen a picture of a double sprouted coconut seedling here on palmtalk. My word of honor. Gute nacht.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure of how common it is but it can happen to other palms. These 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii came from one seed. It sprouted at both ends. Once the seed decomposed it was 2 separate plants. But I planted them near each other.

beccalf1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

41 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I'm not sure of how common it is but it can happen to other palms. These 2 Beccariophoenix alfredii came from one seed. It sprouted at both ends. Once the seed decomposed it was 2 separate plants. But I planted them near each other.

beccalf1.jpg

Nice. Those are 2 of my favorites there. Must visit for me every time. It was my trigger to buy one. 

• Upvote 1

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 dead ones off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

6 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 deads off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

Amazing!  Wonderful 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎28‎:‎21‎, Eric in Orlando said:

cocogm1.jpg

cocogm2.jpg

Eric,

Looking pretty good considering the winter they just went through!  I am surprised that the Maypan doesn't look a little better though, because I thought they were supposed to be at least a little cold hardy.

John

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎20‎:‎11‎, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Eric, I never heard of that.  Any idea how common a double sprout is.  I didn't even know that was possible!  Everything looks good.

They are very rare, but I have NEVER heard of two sprouts from opposite ends of the nut!  When it does happen it is usually because 2 of the eyes have embryos, instead of just one eye of the nut having the embryo, which is normal, but another sprout from the opposite end of the nut?  Wow!

John

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is the 'Green Malayan' at my house in Altamonte Springs. This was its 2nd winter. I had 27F at my house in the open . It has no overhead protection but is next to a 6ft fence. It has one leaf left, I have cut 3 dead ones off. It has grown 2 new leaves since the freeze. 

DSC_3176.JPG

Eric,

Is the fence on the north side of it, or which side?

John

The fence is on the NE side of the palm.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 1 month later...

Great rebound for the I-drive coconut between April and July. All green emerging now. 

IMG_2018-07-02_20-41-00.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Here are fresh pics of the Daytona Beach Shores Coconut. I was able to talk to the home occupant.

He has lived there for about 3 yrs .

It is in critical condition .

I gave him what advice that I could , but this palm has virtually no chance to survive . He does know that it is

a Coconut , and really likes it .  One thing that he did not know , is that he can get a replacement fairly easily .

So , after it goes to Palm Heaven , I will try to help him replace it .

29061410777_7326b84c78_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018a by Bill H, on Flickr

29061407087_0677a6e93b_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018b by Bill H, on Flickr

29061406887_95a8e97d68_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018c by Bill H, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

Bill you should go check out the one 2 miles north. It's at the tropical manor hotel on the beach. It's doing alot better than all those. It's in a much more protected spot. 

• Upvote 1

While successful rebuilding its crown, I was surprised to see the I-drive coconut putting out fruit. Pretty impressive for being unprotected and seeing upper 20s. 

20180813_123534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 8/12/2018, 1:48:58, Bill H2DB said:

Here are fresh pics of the Daytona Beach Shores Coconut. I was able to talk to the home occupant.

He has lived there for about 3 yrs .

It is in critical condition .

I gave him what advice that I could , but this palm has virtually no chance to survive . He does know that it is

a Coconut , and really likes it .  One thing that he did not know , is that he can get a replacement fairly easily .

So , after it goes to Palm Heaven , I will try to help him replace it .

29061410777_7326b84c78_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018a by Bill H, on Flickr

29061407087_0677a6e93b_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018b by Bill H, on Flickr

29061406887_95a8e97d68_b.jpgDBS Cocos Aug 2018c by Bill H, on Flickr

That's the one that survived 2010?

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On 8/12/2018, 2:16:50, Reeverse said:

Bill you should go check out the one 2 miles north. It's at the tropical manor hotel on the beach. It's doing alot better than all those. It's in a much more protected spot. 

So , I did....

The Palm is in a nice little Niche for sure , and , being an older Motel , sits up on Ma Nature's dune . Visible burn from last Winter , but strong regrowth .

There is an old small inflorescence hanging there too .

Te shot from that Parking lot was difficult , as it was morning , and I had to shoot into the Sun.      I worked it over with my editing tools .

You can see the palm just to the left of the Sabal in the pic .

42225531290_b1e222a9ed_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos e by Bill H, on Flickr

42225526550_c82bbedf24_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos a by Bill H, on Flickr

43315941094_3e6a3d15c4_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos b by Bill H, on Flickr

43315941914_0f69c2c7a3_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos c by Bill H, on Flickr

42225529790_360e16e177_b.jpgTropical Manor Cocos d by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Awesome Bill! Both of those palms are pre 2010. There was a larger one in the parking lot that died after 2010. I think this will be the only surviving coconut in volusia county. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drone view of my coconut and Christmas palm. Winter damage still growing out but good progress. Also, nothing greens a yard up more than some milorganite. 

PSX_20180825_133850.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

So central Florida...how did everyone's coconuts recover over the summer? Mine is on way... hoping for a mild upcoming winter!

PSX_20180912_200247.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎17‎:‎13‎, Eric in Orlando said:

The fence is on the NE side of the palm.

That makes sense.  If the fence was on the south side of the palm, it wouldn't have provided any protection.

John

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎47‎:‎19‎, pj_orlando_z9b said:

So central Florida...how did everyone's coconuts recover over the summer? Mine is on way... hoping for a mild upcoming winter!

PSX_20180912_200247.jpg

PJ,

I forgot if you protected your Coconut Palm, and if so how?

John

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

PJ,

I forgot if you protected your Coconut Palm, and if so how?

I strung C7 lights around the trunk and wrapped in burlap and bedding sheets. I actually missed the meristem...would go higher next time. While I am able I would also try to throw something over the canopy. I am pretty sure it would have died without the trunk wrap. I pretty much lost the whole crown. 

Screenshot_20180914-225512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180914-225539_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I strung C7 lights around the trunk and wrapped in burlap and bedding sheets. I actually missed the meristem...would go higher next time. While I am able I would also try to throw something over the canopy. I am pretty sure it would have died without the trunk wrap. I pretty much lost the whole crown. 

Screenshot_20180914-225512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180914-225539_Gallery.jpg

PJ,

What is the coldest it got in your yard and how many freezes did you have this past winter?

John

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2018, 11:44:10, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

PJ,

What is the coldest it got in your yard and how many freezes did you have this past winter?

John

2 freezes. The big one was 28F for 4 hours and under 32F for 6 hours. One other night briefly at 32F. Total 6 nights in the 30s. January had 5 days with highs in the 50s. 

Stopped by smashburger on Rt 50 in orlando. The coconuts have recovered (or are on their way). Here are pics from late April and today. The left one is also sending up inflorescence. They can use an above avg winter. 

20181020_191533.jpg

20181020_202718.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 7/2/2018, 8:43:27, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Great rebound for the I-drive coconut between April and July. All green emerging now. 

IMG_2018-07-02_20-41-00.JPG

Yikes.  I would not have thought that high up from the ground, surrounded by buildings and concrete on the south side of the urban heat island on a night where most locations in Orlando saw upper 20s would have damaged a large tall variety coconut that much.  Meaning, I would have thought the crown of the palm at that location would have seen low 30s from a generally upper 20s night in Orlando (if that makes any sense). But that looks like upper 20s damage.

How cold did it get at the Orlando Executive Airport during the January freezes this year?

I am so glad the Smash Burger ones survived!

Edited by palmsOrl

25 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

Yikes.  I would not have thought that high up from the ground, surrounded by buildings and concrete on the south side of the urban heat island on a night where most locations in Orlando saw upper 20s would have damaged a large tall variety coconut that much.  Meaning, I would have thought the crown of the palm at that location would have seen low 30s from a generally upper 20s night in Orlando (if that makes any sense). But that looks like upper 20s damage.

How cold did it get at the Orlando Executive Airport during the January freezes this year?

I am so glad the Smash Burger ones survived!

It clearly saw upper 20s. The Jan 18th freeze was advective not radiational so elevation did not help. Executive also got to 28f with a high of 54F the next day. Executive also saw a 32F freeze earlier in Jan. Here is that palm today. It is fruiting. 

Screenshot_20181020-213006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181020-213028_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 4

I'm more "West Central Florida", but I'm 2 miles inland, so my coconuts got about the same level of damage as the Orlando coconuts this past winter, but have recovered nicely. Everything is so close together that's tough to get good pics, but here's what I got:

Maypan from Selby Gardens:

IMG_20181020_075251.thumb.jpg.b8f7ace52f

Panama Tall:

MVIMG_20181020_075345.thumb.jpg.0a7bd901

Jamaican tall from Kopsick (this picture didn't turn out great because of the reflection of the sunrise off of the leaves. All of the leaves are actually green):

IMG_20181020_075328.thumb.jpg.4e17e393de

Red Spicata:

IMG_20181020_075348.thumb.jpg.c7481f396c

Orange petiole Hawaiian tall:

IMG_20181020_075306.thumb.jpg.4d759d3f1e

Green Petiole Hawaiian Tall:

IMG_20181020_075315.thumb.jpg.156f24ae06

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

There's a coconut (somewhat close to trunking size) I started seeing at a house in Dr. Phillips in July and it had visible cold damage- but through the rest of summer it has skyrocketed and now all green. Will try to get a picture soon.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I'm more "West Central Florida", but I'm 2 miles inland, so my coconuts got about the same level of damage as the Orlando coconuts this past winter, but have recovered nicely. Everything is so close together that's tough to get good pics, but here's what I got:

Maypan from Selby Gardens:

IMG_20181020_075251.thumb.jpg.b8f7ace52f

Panama Tall:

MVIMG_20181020_075345.thumb.jpg.0a7bd901

Jamaican tall from Kopsick (this picture didn't turn out great because of the reflection of the sunrise off of the leaves. All of the leaves are actually green):

IMG_20181020_075328.thumb.jpg.4e17e393de

Red Spicata:

IMG_20181020_075348.thumb.jpg.c7481f396c

Orange petiole Hawaiian tall:

IMG_20181020_075306.thumb.jpg.4d759d3f1e

Green Petiole Hawaiian Tall:

IMG_20181020_075315.thumb.jpg.156f24ae06

Based on your first picture, I'm wondering if mine is a maypan. They look very similar especially the trunk. I still dont know what kind I have. 

20181021_144416.jpg

5 hours ago, Opal92 said:

There's a coconut (somewhat close to trunking size) I started seeing at a house in Dr. Phillips in July and it had visible cold damage- but through the rest of summer it has skyrocketed and now all green. Will try to get a picture soon.

Yes, plz do