IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

North Central FL Coconuts

oviedotreefarm

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

One coconut that didn't make it was this beauty also in Belle Isle. It has now been removed. It was fruiting in 2017. 

Screenshot_20180425-121330_Flickr.jpg

That coconut palm died ? Looks like it had a lot of protection as well and was fruiting ....it had to been planted after winter of 2010...

1 hour ago, Jason-Palm king said:

That coconut palm died ? Looks like it had a lot of protection as well and was fruiting ....it had to been planted after winter of 2010...

I believe new owners at the house and i know there was no protection as I saw it on my running route. A nursery owner knew the guy who planted it and said it was there before 2010 but he did a great job protecting that particular. winter. It really stood out...such a shame. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I believe new owners at the house and i know there was no protection as I saw it on my running route. A nursery owner knew the guy who planted it and said it was there before 2010 but he did a great job protecting that particular. winter. It really stood out...such a shame. 

Yes it is .....and with all those coconuts ! There is a nursery called Coleman’s and I called them yesterday and said they have 30 gal coconuts .....I might have to swing by there today and maybe get one 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017, 8:09:15, Reeverse said:

Port Orange Florida  Royals just installed. Just west of US1. Nice to see those common south Florida palms way up here. 

20170428_184619.jpg

I drove by these royals last week and they looked fried .....hopefully they pull through 

• Upvote 1

Most of the coconuts I thought were dead around here are slowly recovering. Only one small one has died to the best of my knowledge. 

• Upvote 3

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

@Jason-Palm king they did get hammered. Looks like they might pull through. If you need Coconuts I have a nursery in New Smyrna. We get stuff every week from Homestead. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2018, 8:01:01, Reeverse said:

@Jason-Palm king they did get hammered. Looks like they might pull through. If you need Coconuts I have a nursery in New Smyrna. We get stuff every week from Homestead. 

Reverse absolutely! What’s the name and address to your nursery ? My wife works in Daytona beach and I usually visit her for lunch on my off days . 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎24‎:‎50‎, Jason-Palm king said:

I live 5 Min from this rv place here in Sanford and I drove by them today and they are about 25 feet tall and look incredible ! They are doing very well ...we have a microclimate here with lake Monroe 

Do  you think that microclimate is enough to support Jamaican Tall Coconut Palms making it through the winters there and maybe even fruiting there on the south side of the lake?

John

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎03‎:‎09‎, Opal92 said:

I wonder how some of these have done this winter, especially the coconut palms at the Volcano Bay water park. I'm visiting the Orlando area right now- So far I've seen cold damaged royal, Christmas, dypsis lutescens, and foxtails. I'm sure coconuts took considerable damage- haven't seen any yet though.

Amazingly, I have seen some Areca Palms and Foxtails that survived here in Corpus Christi in parts of town where I thought they would have been toast, especially after 6 freezes this past winter!  And the medium to large Royals here did a lot better than I thought they would have too!

John

John as a bad a winter as it was you got Lucky down there as far as the January 17 event. It didn't go much south of Palacious. Basically Galveston toward New Orleans.

It was 15 at my house but it was 11 just a few miles away in brazos county, but there were several hours that hovered at 16.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

18 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

John as a bad a winter as it was you got Lucky down there as far as the January 17 event. It didn't go much south of Palacious. Basically Galveston toward New Orleans.

It was 15 at my house but it was 11 just a few miles away in brazos county, but there were several hours that hovered at 16.

Hey Ryan,

Wow!  I had no idea it got that cold in town in College Station this past winter.  It got down to 28F at my place with a total of 6 freezes, 3 of which were in the 28F to 29F range, with a total of about 30 to 35 hours below freezing!  We even had 3.5" of snow at my place on Dec. 8, and some areas in town had 7" of snow that day!   Normally, at my place we can make it all winter long and only bottom out around 33F on the coldest morning.  Needless to say, I lost two of my four in ground Coconut Palms (younger ones), with one young Green Malayan barely hanging on with one broken green leaf, and my big Green Malayan Dwarf that is about14ft. tall in overall height and about 2ft. of woody trunk, is slowly recovering with 3 old green leaves left and a slowly emerging new leaf that broke off in high winds about 5 weeks ago, that I cut off at the break, but is still slowly emerging, but no new spear leaf yet!

John

Sorry to hear about the Coconuts, there are so fickle! Texas winters are so unpredictable. Normally  a decade or 2 of great palm growing weather then 1 or 2 really cold nights that undoes everything. i got 6 inches of snow in the December snow ( in 2 hours), and then thick ice in January when it dipped to teens.

How high were winds at your house in hurricane Harvey. Did you get much damage?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎24‎:‎29‎, Jason-Palm king said:

Still looks alive .....that ocean protects it 

Looks about like my Green Malayan Dwarf here in Corpus Christi.

John

24 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sorry to hear about the Coconuts, there are so fickle! Texas winters are so unpredictable. Normally  a decade or 2 of great palm growing weather then 1 or 2 really cold nights that undoes everything. i got 6 inches of snow in the December snow ( in 2 hours), and then thick ice in January when it dipped to teens.

How high were winds at your house in hurricane Harvey. Did you get much damage?

I think I finally have a pure Mexican Tall Coconut Palm sprouted from a nut I collected off the beach here a couple of years ago, and if it turns out to be one, it should be cold hardy down to 26F when it has some size to eat and be able to take the extended chilly damp weather we sometimes have here in South Texas better than most other varieties.  So, I will be planting it in the ground in March of next year, when it is about 7ft. or 8ft. tall in overall height.

I think I had about 100mph winds here at my place in Flour Bluff, just south of the Naval Air Station.  I only lost about 30 shingles on the windward side of the house (back side) and a few pickets down on the wooden fence, but my palms and other trees actually looked much better about a month after the storm than they did before!!!  Surprisingly, Padre Island had very little damage compared to what I would have figured, but Mustang Island and Port A, got hit hard, and as you know, Rockport and Fulton all but got wiped out!

John

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎29‎:‎59‎, pj_orlando_z9b said:

This the I-Drive (Orlando) coconut 4/27. The foxtails and Christmas Palms look great. 

20180427_130417.jpg

That Coconut Palm should be looking pretty good by August or September!  I think it will recover nicely and be fruiting again before long!

John

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎54‎:‎59‎, RedRabbit said:

Most of the coconuts I thought were dead around here are slowly recovering. Only one small one has died to the best of my knowledge. 

Glad to hear it!

John

Just drove by Universal's Volcano Bay. You can see some of their coconut trees exiting I-4 onto Sand Lake Rd. They must have protected them because from what I could see, they looked perfect. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Just drove by Universal's Volcano Bay. You can see some of their coconut trees exiting I-4 onto Sand Lake Rd. They must have protected them because from what I could see, they looked perfect. 

Really?!

That's good. Do you have pictures or a Google maps link?

4 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

Really?!

That's good. Do you have pictures or a Google maps link?

Google maps isn't too clear but they looked to be in the area near where Bambu is marked. They could have been a remove/replace too I suppose. Somebody who went last year could confirm. I'll def try to get photos soon. 

Screenshot_20180516-230356_Maps.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Google maps isn't too clear but they looked to be in the area near where Bambu is marked. They could have been a remove/replace too I suppose. Somebody who went last year could confirm. I'll def try to get photos soon. 

Screenshot_20180516-230356_Maps.jpg

I was at volcano bay 2 weeks ago and asked a person in maintenance there about the coconuts and the foxtails and they said when it got down to the 30’s a few times in January they put heaters under them at night and covered them in frost blankets ..,,,those trees will never die there as they have the money to maintain them 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Jason-Palm king said:

I was at volcano bay 2 weeks ago and asked a person in maintenance there about the coconuts and the foxtails and they said when it got down to the 30’s a few times in January they put heaters under them at night and covered them in frost blankets ..,,,those trees will never die there as they have the money to maintain them 

Very interesting! That must be how they survived back in 2010 too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Here are some screenshots of YouTube videos taken in April 2018. I see several coconuts in Pic #2!

Screenshot_20180517-002913_YouTube.jpg

20180517_003848.jpg

Screenshot_20180517-003700_YouTube.jpg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Here are some screenshots of YouTube videos taken in April 2018. I see several coconuts in Pic #2!

Screenshot_20180517-002913_YouTube.jpg

20180517_003848.jpg

Screenshot_20180517-003700_YouTube.jpg

7 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Very interesting! That must be how they survived back in 2010 too.

I don’t think volcano bay was there back in 2010. I remember prior to 2009 sea world had a bunch of 30 foot coconut palms inside the park and I was there last summer and they were gone . Volcano bay has a “tropical” atmosphere and theme that it’s needs to maintain and one of those things is making sure they have tropical palms inside there park at all times . Maintaining those coconuts is a must to keep that feel 

• Upvote 1

There is a coconut palm that survived this past winter on the south side of Lake Concord near downtown Orlando. If you are coming from north of downtown on I4 and get off at the Hwy50/Colonial Dr. exit you can see it off to the right from the exit ramp over the lake. Its growing by a boathouse at an old mansion. There are also a couple of royal palms too. These were planted a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

6 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

There is a coconut palm that survived this past winter on the south side of Lake Concord near downtown Orlando. If you are coming from north of downtown on I4 and get off at the Hwy50/Colonial Dr. exit you can see it off to the right from the exit ramp over the lake. Its growing by a boathouse at an old mansion. There are also a couple of royal palms too. These were planted a couple of years ago.

Did a lot of coconuts die over there this past winter? 

What dort of temperatures did it get down to and for how long were they at that level? Just trying to equate it to where I live..

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that coldest night in January in Orlando about 30 F (-1 Celsius) this year?  The temperature may have dropped below freezing in the middle of the night and risen above freezing by about 10:00 the next morning, but it was just unusually cold for about four days because it never warmed up into the 20s Celsius as it should have.  The afternoon highs may have been only in the 40s or 50s Fahrenheit during that cold weather event. I recall a four day cold snap followed by a 2-3 day cold snap about a week and a half later.  It was rough, but someone else can correct me on the precise temperatures.  It was certainly the worst cold event since the 2009-2010 freeze.

The January cold snap extended right down to the southern parts of Florida as well.  On the coldest night, I recall that the most extreme temperature was 40 F (5 Celsius) in Miami and 53 F (12 Celsius) in Key West, Florida.  It soon returned to the mid-20s Celsius down there, which is normal in winter.  Yet, I don't think the coconut trees were damaged that far south. Coconut trees are literally wherever you look down there.   Orlando is a much more marginal climate for coconut trees, but I don't know how it would compare to your climate in western Australia.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that coldest night in January in Orlando about 30 F (-1 Celsius) this year?  The temperature may have dropped below freezing in the middle of the night and risen above freezing by about 10:00 the next morning, but it was just unusually cold for about four days because it never warmed up into the 20s Celsius as it should have.  The afternoon highs may have been only in the 40s or 50s Fahrenheit during that cold weather event. I recall a four day cold snap followed by a 2-3 day cold snap about a week and a half later.  It was rough, but someone else can correct me on the precise temperatures.  It was certainly the worst cold event since the 2009-2010 freeze.

The January cold snap extended right down to the southern parts of Florida as well.  On the coldest night, I recall that the most extreme temperature was 40 F (5 Celsius) in Miami and 53 F (12 Celsius) in Key West, Florida.  It soon returned to the mid-20s Celsius down there, which is normal in winter.  Yet, I don't think the coconut trees were damaged that far south. Coconut trees are literally wherever you look down there.   Orlando is a much more marginal climate for coconut trees, but I don't know how it would compare to your climate in western Australia.

Orlando got down to 27-28 in most places.

Coconut damage had been very interesting. In Tampa we had about the same temps as Orlando and coconuts were mostly defoliated. There wasn't much damage just over in St. Pete though where it was about 30f. Further south the damage is minimal, even inland parts of Sarasota fared suprisingly well. On the west coast, being further south helped a lot this time around. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I work in Kissimmee and I got to work one morning at 630am and it was 28 degrees there ...I had frost on my windshield that morning 

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Coconut damage had been very interesting. In Tampa we had about the same temps as Orlando and coconuts were mostly defoliated. There wasn't much damage just over in St. Pete though where it was about 30f. Further south the damage is minimal, even inland parts of Sarasota fared suprisingly well. On the west coast, being further south helped a lot this time around. 

Correct.  Widespread 27F-28F (-2C) on 1/18.  I registered 28.0F.  I was below freezing or 6 hours and below 30F for 4 hours.  The high temp hit 54F that afternoon.  Other notables in my Orlando backyard this winter:

Jan 2-6: Highs were low- to mid-50s (12C) each day with nights 34F to 37F (~1.5C).
Jan (and the entire winter) saw 7 nights below 40F (28, 34, 35, 36, 37, 37, 39)
Ave temps were Jan (59F), Feb (70F), Mar (66F), Apr (73F)

I had C7 lights around the trunk I left on through Jan and wrapped them in burlap to hold in the heat.  The trunk never got below 40F.  Recovery is in progress but I need to see what the crown looks like in August to say it's out of the woods.

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Sandy Loam, RedRabbit and pj_orlando_z9b.  I really appreciate you all letting me know about the temperatures you had there, it seems like when it does get cold it tends to stay colder for longer than we have here. Western Australia is a large state, 2.5 million kilometres of land in our state, so we have a varied climate range from the north to the south of the state, the north is much warmer and coconuts grow prolifically in some areas, particularly around Broome where they’ve become naturalised along the beaches. I live in Perth which is in the southern half of the state, here we have relatively short but cool wet winters and long dry summers so I am stretching the limits in trying to grow a coconut down here although there are a few growing around the place in areas of a suitable micro climate or where someone has put in the effort to nurse them through the winters as I’m trying.  Thanks for replying to my question and sorry to have hijacked the thread.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2018, 3:27:31, RedRabbit said:

To add to this, I was in Lakewood Ranch today and saw this coconut:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4393208,-82.4530216,3a,75y,30.8h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGiXulkpjUJfYeufJrKbHBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It only has about 20% burn. This palm is planted several miles inland (east of I-75) so it probably gets no help from the gulf and there's probably minimal urban influence, yet it only had 20% burn. That's very remarkable considering many coconuts in the warmest parts of Tampa were still 80% damaged. It isn't a fluke either because there are unblemished P. elegans nearby. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 3

Ptychosperma Elegans, you mean? Those are supposed to be tougher than coconuts, aren't they?

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4393208,-82.4530216,3a,75y,30.8h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGiXulkpjUJfYeufJrKbHBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It only has about 20% burn. This palm is planted several miles inland (east of I-75) so it probably gets no help from the gulf and there's probably minimal urban influence, yet it only had 20% burn. That's very remarkable considering many coconuts in the warmest parts of Tampa were still 80% damaged. It isn't a fluke either because there are unblemished P. elegans nearby. 

Great find. Looking at google maps history, a coconut has at least been there since 2007.  From the images, it looks like the initial might have been replaced maybe after the 2010 freeze although not sure why cause the 2011 recovery was looking good.  Might be the same but the trunk looks different. The current google image is from 2016. If it only has 20% burn after this winter, that would be amazing.  Hope it fares well!  Here is a series of images off google maps.

palm01.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018‎ ‎7‎:‎33‎:‎36‎, RedRabbit said:

Very nice looking Coconut Palm.  I wonder what variety it is? It doesn't look quite green enough to be a Green Malayan!

John

32 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Very nice looking Coconut Palm.  I wonder what variety it is? It doesn't look quite green enough to be a Green Malayan!

John

It appears to be a green Pacific tall.

Scratch that, green Malayan. 

Thanks Keith for clearing that up.

Edited by GottmitAlex
Keith's opinion

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It's a green Malayan. I've been watching that coconut for a while. It was damaged, but recovered in 2010 (not replaced). It's the furthest inland long-term coconut in Manatee county that I know of. I feel that the location close to a busy road has helped it a lot.

• Upvote 5

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)