IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

North Central FL Coconuts

oviedotreefarm

On 5/27/2017, 7:29:16, ck_in_fla said:

Head out to East Colonial Drive in Orlando and specifically the Smashburger restaurant.  In front of this establishment on the South side of the road are two mature Coconut palms that have been there a number of years.  It is across from the Orlando Fashion Square Mall.  In this case, the urban heat island is no doubt responsible for these trees being there...

OK, I was finally able to get out to the Smash Burger location on East 50 in Orlando.  Frankly, if you don't know to look for these, you could easily drive right by them without ever noticing.

These have been here for quite some time now and may be the longest surviving mature specimens.

SB Exterior1.jpg

SB Exterior2.jpg

Cocos1.jpg

Cocos2.jpg

• Upvote 3

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, ck_in_fla said:

OK, I was finally able to get out to the Smash Burger location on East 50 in Orlando.  Frankly, if you don't know to look for these, you could easily drive right by them without ever noticing.

These have been here for quite some time now and may be the longest surviving mature specimens.

SB Exterior1.jpg

SB Exterior2.jpg

Cocos1.jpg

Cocos2.jpg

I'm pretty sure we determined these were planted some time after 2011. They do look very nice though. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I'm pretty sure we determined these were planted some time after 2011. They do look very nice though. :greenthumb:

That's still at least 5 years.  Pretty decent for an inland location this far north.  But, I am sure you are correct.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still very nice to look at each time I pass by...

• Upvote 2

Zone 9b/10a

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2017, 9:05:06, ck_in_fla said:

Not far from this location, I saw some large Roystonea that were installed in the parking lot at what I think is an RV dealership.  This dealership is visible from the northbound lanes of Interstate 4 just before you cross Lake Monroe and cross from Seminole into Volusia County.

Does anyone know if those are still there?  I'm guessing they are as the sight is almost right on the southern edge of Lake Monroe.

I live 5 Min from this rv place here in Sanford and I drove by them today and they are about 25 feet tall and look incredible ! They are doing very well ...we have a microclimate here with lake Monroe 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2017, 9:05:06, ck_in_fla said:

Not far from this location, I saw some large Roystonea that were installed in the parking lot at what I think is an RV dealership.  This dealership is visible from the northbound lanes of Interstate 4 just before you cross Lake Monroe and cross from Seminole into Volusia County.

Does anyone know if those are still there?  I'm guessing they are as the sight is almost right on the southern edge of Lake Monroe.

Those royals are still there ...I drove by there today and they are looking fabulous !

49 minutes ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Those royals are still there ...I drove by there today and they are looking fabulous !

Any chance you could post some pics? :-)

Zone 9b/10a

Sure I will head there now but before I do here is a pic of my Royal I just planted last week! I live about 5 Min from that RV place sonif they can survive I am growing a royal as well!67B01137-DC49-4A82-A2E6-DF71D5B6414B.thu

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ck_in_fla said:

Any chance you could post some pics? :-)

Here you go! They are thriving and about nearly 30 feet tall now !

AC7DCAB3-E2BD-4EA8-985C-E00405756F4C.jpeg

EF1835E3-E08B-435C-BB9B-4FE828CB1E52.jpeg

• Upvote 6

This coconut palm is down the street from me in Altamonte Springs. It was planted around 2012. I noticed it began flowering for the first time and has ping pong ball sized fruit. 

_20171030_175253.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

15 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

_20171030_175431.thumb.JPG.97bea5b9497c0

Eric where is this in Altamonte Springs??? I bought my royal in that area off 17 and 92 near dog track road ....they had $600 royals there last week that where 20 feet tall!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Eric where is this in Altamonte Springs??? I bought my royal in that area off 17 and 92 near dog track road ....they had $600 royals there last week that where 20 feet tall!

And by the way , I just bought a coconut palm in the pot at Home Depot about 6 weeks ago and planted it on the side of my house ....let’s see if it survives this winter 

5 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Those are nice! Royals are like candy to my palm addict eyes!

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

On 10/30/2017, 4:31:22, Jason-Palm king said:

They look perfect.  Thanks for taking the time to get the pictures.

Impressive...

Zone 9b/10a

On 10/30/2017, 7:26:56, Jason-Palm king said:

That coconut is in the neighborhood behind Bestbuy on west 436, west of I4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

So great to see these tropical palms doing so good, much further north. :D :greenthumb:    In the 26 years I have been visiting St. Pete It has been interesting to watch  the tropical palms that get planted here and how they survived the big cold snaps.  I know 09/10 did a big number on quite a few coconuts and other more zone 10+ palms and tropicals here.   Not all were killed outright but a fair number were.  Now that I live here I'm seeing far more zone 10+ palms and plants being grown here, and even put in by developers, residents, businesses and even municipalities.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

Impressive...

Anytime !

On 10/30/2017, 4:31:22, Jason-Palm king said:

Nice trees --- so, these Royal Palms are around Seminole County/Volusia County line?  Is that supposed to be unusual?  I see Royal Palms in Orlando all the time, and that's only thirty minutes away.  Maybe Seminole County is supposed to be colder than Orlando.

I know this post started out about Central Florida Coconuts, but when you start talking about pushing the zones with Royal Palms, these 3 specimens take the honors.  Someone tell me how these have survived for over 12 years in Jacksonville Florida.  I would never have believed this in a million years, but here they are.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@30.213956,-81.621996,1.78h,14.61p,0.82z

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Nice trees --- so, these Royal Palms are around Seminole County/Volusia County line?  Is that supposed to be unusual?  I see Royal Palms in Orlando all the time, and that's only thirty minutes away.  Maybe Seminole County is supposed to be colder than Orlando.

Sandy yes , these are right off exit 104 off I-4 in sanford ...you can actually see them driving east right off the exit ...they are at the Volusia-Seminole county border 

23 hours ago, Kekoanui said:

I know this post started out about Central Florida Coconuts, but when you start talking about pushing the zones with Royal Palms, these 3 specimens take the honors.  Someone tell me how these have survived for over 12 years in Jacksonville Florida.  I would never have believed this in a million years, but here they are.

That yard looks much more like something you would see in Orlando or Tampa than J'ville. I see a bizzy tucked away on the far right behind the CIDP, and another near the house.  they both look not terribly large or old so maybe they have not been tested yet.   Their neighbor to the left also appears to have a pigmy date palm next to their front door as well.  Zone pushers will do their thing no matter how far north or south. LOL.  Looks good tho! 

• Upvote 2

On 11/1/2017, 11:55:48, ck_in_fla said:

Impressive...

Anytime ! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

That yard looks much more like something you would see in Orlando or Tampa than J'ville. I see a bizzy tucked away on the far right behind the CIDP, and another near the house.  they both look not terribly large or old so maybe they have not been tested yet.   Their neighbor to the left also appears to have a pigmy date palm next to their front door as well.  Zone pushers will do their thing no matter how far north or south. LOL.  Looks good tho! 

Excellent example of proximity to water creating an inviting microclimate. :-)

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a

• 4 months later...

I wonder how some of these have done this winter, especially the coconut palms at the Volcano Bay water park. I'm visiting the Orlando area right now- So far I've seen cold damaged royal, Christmas, dypsis lutescens, and foxtails. I'm sure coconuts took considerable damage- haven't seen any yet though.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

I wonder how some of these have done this winter, especially the coconut palms at the Volcano Bay water park. I'm visiting the Orlando area right now- So far I've seen cold damaged royal, Christmas, dypsis lutescens, and foxtails. I'm sure coconuts took considerable damage- haven't seen any yet though.

I'm curious as well. I'm guessing the damage to coconuts is roughly the same as it was here, which has ranged between moderate and dead... There is a nice one about a quarter mile from me that was just fruiting a few months ago and it is 100% brown now. I drove past today hoping to see some green but there still isn't any so I'm thinking it died. I think a lot of it depends how much wind they got, palms that weren't exposed to the wind look much better.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎45‎:‎44‎, Kekoanui said:

Very simply, because they are on the south side of Jacksonville, on the east side of the St. John's River, and with the Atlantic Ocean just east of there, so if there is a northeast wind coming off the Atlantic after a bad cold front, it moderates the nighttime temps, and if there is a northwest wind coming across the river, that area is kept milder at night on cold winter nights.  Also, it appears to be within the heat island effect of Jacksonville, and has good tree canopy around to buffer them too.  It looks like a PERFECT microclimate to grow such tropical palms, and is probably only within a couple of degrees average Jan. temps from being able to successfully grow a Jamaican Tall Coconut Palm there in such a good microclimate!

John

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017, 7:03:27, Eric in Orlando said:

This coconut palm is down the street from me in Altamonte Springs. It was planted around 2012. I noticed it began flowering for the first time and has ping pong ball sized fruit. 

_20171030_175253.JPG

Eric did the coconut here survive this past winter with the freezes we had here ? It got down to 28 degrees here in night in sanford 

On 3/10/2018, 4:03:09, Opal92 said:

I drive past volcano bay everyday going to work and the foxtails I seen didn’t look damaged at all ...that new Lexus dealership that is off I-4 right before volcano bay has a bunch of foxtails next to their building that got hardly any damage as well 

Edited by Jason-Palm king
  • Upvote 1

On 4/21/2017, 9:43:46, donalt said:

beautiful, yes! but it's true, we haven't had cold damaging temps for 6 or 7 years. i know that location is very well protected by lake monroe. several blocks of homes there have tropical plantings that are quite beautiful.

Yes, the houses around that area have some big royals and foxtails in their yards ....lake Monroe has to have that area a little nice microclimate 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Eric did the coconut here survive this past winter with the freezes we had here ? It got down to 28 degrees here in night in sanford 

That palm survived, it had about 75-80% burn but is growing new leaves. I had 27F in the open in my yard in Altamonte Springs.

My 2 year old coconut survived as well. All the leaves were burned but it has since grown 2 new ones. It wasn't a planned planting. We have a Great Dane who likes to chew and carry coconuts around. My inlaws live in Jupiter so every time we go down there we would bring coconuts back for the dog. I had a pile on the side of the house and noticed one had sprouted. So I just planted it to see what it would do. I believe it is a 'Green Malayan'.

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017, 6:47:55, ck_in_fla said:

Nice!  I get up that way frequently.  I will need to check those the next time I'm up there.

There is an automobile dealership on the West side of US 1 just North of New Smyrna Beach that has had a row (3 or 4) large Royal palms growing there for a number of years.  I believe they have been there at least 10 years.  So, they survived the cold of 2010.  I believe that once they have some size to them, Roystonea are more hardy to cold than when they are small.

I live in Winter Springs (just North of Orlando) and I planted a small Royal palm in 2001.  All the years it was small, I protected it anytime the forecast lows were 28 or lower.  In this area, that only happened once or twice in a normal winter.  The last few years, it hasn't been below 33 or 34.  Once the tree was too large to protect, I just left it to the elements.  Today, 16 years after planting it, my Roystonea is about 40 feet tall, towering over the roof of my home.  Because it is so tall, I believe it will take a cold event like 1983 or 1985 to impact it.  I will try to get a current picture of this tree and post it so you can see what I am talking about.

How did these royals In port orange do over this past winter ? Any updated pictures of them ??

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2017, 11:56:15, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

So great to see these tropical palms doing so good, much further north. :D :greenthumb:    In the 26 years I have been visiting St. Pete It has been interesting to watch  the tropical palms that get planted here and how they survived the big cold snaps.  I know 09/10 did a big number on quite a few coconuts and other more zone 10+ palms and tropicals here.   Not all were killed outright but a fair number were.  Now that I live here I'm seeing far more zone 10+ palms and plants being grown here, and even put in by developers, residents, businesses and even municipalities.  

The coconuts I see in St. Pete aren't that healthy now and neither are other zone 10 palms. For royals the damage seems to be a hit or miss. Many of the palms at Gizella  Kopsick Palm Arboretum aren't doing so well, either. Are you seeing the same thing?

These are the Smashburger coconuts on 4/21:
26814127617_2fbc62b428_z.jpg

This is the huge I-Drive coconut a few weeks after the freeze.  It took a hit but appears to be growing.  Time will tell.  This is right where the new giant swing is being installed:
41642997092_39d8667394_z.jpg

Here is my coconut today (4/24):
27812282798_b874e671ba_z.jpg
40971646344_a14c8ccd7d_z.jpg

This was the same coconut in Jul 2017:
26813249897_383706b9dd_z.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

This is the huge I-Drive coconut a few weeks after the freeze.  It took a hit but appears to be growing.  Time will tell.  This is right where the new giant swing is being installed:
41642997092_39d8667394_z.jpg

27812282798_b874e671ba_z.jpg
40971646344_a14c8ccd7d_z.jpg

26813249897_383706b9dd_z.jpg

Pj your coconut looks fine ! Where in Orlando do u live ? I am in sanford . Did u cover it when we got down to the low 30’s a few times this past winter ?

11 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Wow, I'm amazed. Orlando may have had their first 9b winter after a long hiatus, but wasn't bad enough to really faze these coconuts. However, I'm sure there are many in worse shape considering the royals and foxtails I saw that were mostly defoliated. Again, I wonder how the ones at Volcano Bay water park did. If they were established enough, I bet they did fine enough since they are closer to the Orlando heat island.

I had a coconut in a pot which I unfortunately didn't bring in enough during some of our cold spells. It actually would come back ok but very damaged at 28-27 degrees. Any colder is a "no-go."

6 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Pj your coconut looks fine ! Where in Orlando do u live ? I am in sanford . Did u cover it when we got down to the low 30’s a few times this past winter ?

I am in Belle Isle near the airport. I sure hope it's ok. I still think it's not out of the woods. I treated for a fungus but hoping treatment killed that threat. I'll feel better when the emerging spear opens and doesn't wilt. Maybe that is due to the nutrient blues typical in winter? I only protected the trunk. I would try frond protection in the future. 28F was my only night below 32F. My weather station also captured 6 other nights between 34F and 40F. All in January. 

2 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Wow, I'm amazed. Orlando may have had their first 9b winter after a long hiatus, but wasn't bad enough to really faze these coconuts. However, I'm sure there are many in worse shape considering the royals and foxtails I saw that were mostly defoliated. Again, I wonder how the ones at Volcano Bay water park did. If they were established enough, I bet they did fine enough since they are closer to the Orlando heat island.

I had a coconut in a pot which I unfortunately didn't bring in enough during some of our cold spells. It actually would come back ok but very damaged at 28-27 degrees. Any colder is a "no-go."

Orlando's heat island wasn't as effective the one destructive night as it was cold air advection rather than radiational. Widespread 20s including a few 26F reports scattered. I know the Magic Kingdom weather station bottomed out. The royals and foxtail damage was not widespread destruction. A lot depended on maturity, health (some people never fertilize here), and siting of course. These royals did well at Sea World (pic taken in April) and this house in my community. 

PSX_20180413_164958.jpg

Screenshot_20180425-121251_Flickr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One coconut that didn't make it was this beauty also in Belle Isle. It has now been removed. It was fruiting in 2017. 

Screenshot_20180425-121330_Flickr.jpg