IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exposed roots...need Input

Slazzara

Hi All...I need help and some input.  I have a palm tree in my backyard that was planted in a planter box.  The tree is probably about 17 years old.  The trunk has always sat on top of the dirt with the roots exposed but the tree is much larger now.  It also concerns me that the roots didn't grow all the way around the trunk and only towards the middle but I don't know palm trees as some of you might.  This could just be normal.  The It does wiggle in the wind or if I push on it.  I tied it to a pole to brace it a bit but if it wanted to come down, I'm not sure the pole will help.  We're in southern California so we're really not subject to tropical storm type winds but we do get strong Santa Ana winds from time to time and those could get up there. I really like the tree and don't want to see it go but I need somebody who knows palm trees to give me some input.  I've attached some pictures as well.  If you need better ones just let me know.  Thank you in advance

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

• Upvote 1

Just add soil up to the root nubs under where the trunk "bark" begins

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I know you'll probably hate this, but I'd suggest that you remove it.

I had a queen just that size with roots exposed the same way (it was planted a bit too high), and it was swaying slightly when pushed. No matter what I did with mounding up the soil, it never really grew additional roots strong enough to stop the swaying. It came crashing down during one winter storm; thankfully landed on a lawn and not on a house or a car, but it could have hurt someone or done significant damage.

It's easy to remove it right now at that size, just need a chainsaw and pull it down. If you wait, it will get much taller and you have a liability. It will then cost a few hundred to remove if it hasn't crashed down by then on its own. Not to mention spending $$$ couple of times per year for trimming it.

Plant something better than a queen at that spot. Depending on what your winter low temps are in your area, I think you have lots of very nice species to choose from, and even a common King palm (Archantophoenix cunninghamiana) will grow fast and would look great.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

I would use one of the small, clumping Dypsis palms, like D. baronii or D. onilahensis. 

San Francisco, California

Serge, I've rescued a large number of queen palms in client's yards that were planted too high like that. Queen palms like yours respond very quickly by sending out new roots when soil is brought all the way up to the base of their trunks. You may want to assemble some rocks a few inches out to hold the soil. I had a neighbor who circled the base of his palm with chicken wire to hold the new soil and within just a few weeks, new roots grew out of the trunk and into the soil deeply enough to support the palm. 

Your queen palm, although common, is well worth saving as I'm sure it provides some shade beneath it and some nice sounds when the wind blows through its fronds. Don't waste it by removing it.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

it looks like the palm is responding to a confined root space and is pushing itself up.  If you like the palm otherwise, I agree with Jim in Los Altos.  Place moist soil under and around the roots and the palm will root into the new soil.  If you do nothing the palm will likely fail at some point, causing possible damage or injury.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Has anyone noticed the crack in the retaining wall? Planting large growers like Syagrus in such a confined space is not good. Block walls are a pain to repair, especially if the neighbor is less than friendly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Has anyone noticed the crack in the retaining wall? Planting large growers like Syagrus in such a confined space is not good. Block walls are a pain to repair, especially if the neighbor is less than friendly.

Hmm, I can't see any cracks in the shared wall. What am I missing? I do see a little crack in the mortar of the brick cap of the planter and it may or may not be a result of palm roots but probably not since it's inches above the soil line. I've seen a number of fat trunked queens and other palms growing in even tighter places. As long as there's no bottom to the planter (soil continues indefinitely, the palm will put its roots down there where they  can then spread horizontally.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

thanks all...I'm going to try Jim's idea and see if that works.  I just think it's a shame to get rid of this tree without trying everything.  We just went through the worst winter storm we've seen in the last 10 years so if it survived that, it will probably survive spring and summer at least.  That gives me a few months to see if adding soil starts to work.  By the way, there is a crack at the brick cap that sort of runs down and travels along the cement at ground level but that's been there for at least 13 years.  The tree isn't more than 16 years old.

• Upvote 2