• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have no wish to bring up the 800 lb gorilla sitting in most of our living rooms. My father was in the FBI so I grew up with 800 lb gorillas. Suffice it to say my husband and I are old and afflicted with conditions and ailments (type A blood anyone?) that render us both high risk. So, voluntarily, we have self-quarantined at our home on one of the larger residential properties in Cape Coral (0.61 acre - don't laugh). But we are blessed to be surrounded by 100s of my beloved palms and tropical plants that provide a cooling oasis and privacy. It's so restful to work in the yard, lots to be done to take my mind off the woes of the world.
      I thought I'd take some time to share photos of our little palm paradise as it looks like we won't be going anywhere for a while. I started outside the front door and continued into our 3-lot Garden Lot, which is fully planted except for our 10x16' garden shed.
      Blue & Red Latans

Blue Latan

Red Latan

Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf x2 in planter box

Northern edge of Garden Lot

Allagoptera brevicaulis

Agave ovatifolia

Views from inside the Garden Lot

More later
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So one of my Washingtonia robusta started to go yellow and then the edges went brown and it slowly died. Then, two of my other Washingtonia have started to do the same thing a while back, but are still alive. Now, my final healthy one is starting to show the very beginning stages (slight yellowing in the oldest leaf). Then some of my Saw palmetto seedlings started to show "symptoms" and now it seems like my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is showing it a little bit, although it fortunately doesn't seem to be progressing much. I can't tell if this is some sort of disease (I don't understand how potted palms indoors in Virginia would get a palm disease) or if they have some sort of fungus. Should I completely soak them in copper fungicide? I'm not going to lie, I am kind of freaking out a bit. Any advice would be helpful. I am not new to growing palms indoors during the winter and have been watering them each as I believe they should be watered while indoors (for example, Washingtonia get the least amount of water, to prevent rot). What could this be? Can I save these? I never had this problem before. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I have some Leucothrinax morrisii seeds that are finally germinating and I have a few questions about them. First, are these remote germinaters? Also, how long does it take for them to root well into a pot so I can set them outside (when it starts warming up)? I like to put my seedlings outside as soon as a can but wind sometimes makes the newly potted up ones tilt sideways, and it turns into a constant battle of me carefully repositioning them. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      What are some palms with fat crownshafts (and trunks, I'm assuming)? I have seen some pictures of Rhopalostylis sapida with fat crownshafts as well as pictures of Dypsis decipiens. Are there any more palms that get large crownshafts? Any pictures? 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      It appears that something ate the majority of my Serenoa repens seedling that I planted over the summer. Are there any animals that seem to particularly like eating palms, or is it likely that this was just a taste test?