IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crotons Crotons Crotons

Dave Butler

Larry.

They should be OK in that location but a little shade would be better.  As a general rule, croton colors fade more with late afternoon sun.  Southern and western exposures are therefore the least preferred.

Jeff and Dave,

Have either of you been by John Bender's lately?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

In March it looked pretty rough.  That's the double W effect:  Winter and Wilma.

I bet it looks rough thats the talk, I was in Ocala, FL. during that time.

Ray,

Theres a home next to me in Davie,FL. that has the same crotons that john bender has along with a small collection of palms. Its a long story how that came to be.

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 26 2006,07:45)

Larry.

They should be OK in that location but a little shade would be better.  As a general rule, croton colors fade more with late afternoon sun.  Southern and western exposures are therefore the least preferred.

It sounds like theyll be OK here as they face east.  They will get alot of sun early on, but towards late afternoon/evening they will get alot more shade.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Ahh, the Thomas Edison. I know that plant well. With the homeowners permission, I was able to get cuttings last summer, and will have some to offer at my fall open house sale.

Dave, haven't seen that piture of the Pink Passion in awhile.  Makes me want to "juice" up my plants tommorow with alittle TLC.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Ever grown an 'Inca"?

Ray

Ray,

Yes I did. I had it in a spot that saw very little water. And because I was very lazy by not adding a sprinkler head, it died earlier this year.  And no, I did.nt have a back-up. I wish you could get down here soon to see the collection in my yard. I have the whole collection from Robert Halgrim's yard planted out. It really looks good. It's just I have so many without names, some really good ones. I'll even give you a Mosaic if you still need one. I think I have  Magnificent, which would be a really good score.

Andrea and I are coming over in mid Oct. for the croton fest, and will be staying with Judy and Jim Glock.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I'm planning a plant-only trip down there without the fiance this time.  Are you guys going to be around in the mid August time frame?

Ray

Ray,

Mid August sounds good. When we get closer in time, let me know what week,or days that you have in mind. Also, call me and lets see if we can exchange some crotons. Maybe we can call John B. and drive over to see him, also David McLeans place. I'd like to get out for one day ! Hey, lunch can be on me.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You're on.  I will let you know as the time gets closer but the weekend of August 12 is open.  Hopefully, the h____cane season continues its slow pace.  I can't say the word for fear of jinxing us.

Ray

Jeff,

I finally got an ID on one of the crotons collected in Hawaii.  Harold Lee identified it as "Philippine Red".  The picture of this plant in Dr. Brown's book does the plant a disservice.

Ray

Ray, when is the croton-fest?  Is it members-only - and I think I'd like to join.  Judy gave me a brochure back in March, and I have to admit - the croton bug has bitten hard.

Always loved them, but seeing the many varieties.... well, they're incredible.

My collection so far:  fire (a/k/a mamey) - I've lost count of those - an unknown croton that may be "fantasia," petra, stoplight, and today I added Irene Kingsley.

Wishlist so far:  Gloriosa, Red Thia & Rex (from Croton Society website) and the Thomas Edison looks like a beauty!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Jeff Searle @ Jul. 27 2006,23:12)

Ray,

Mid August sounds good. When we get closer in time, let me know what week,or days that you have in mind. Also, call me and lets see if we can exchange some crotons. Maybe we can call John B. and drive over to see him, also David McLeans place. I'd like to get out for one day ! Hey, lunch can be on me.

Jeff,

You can forget about John Bender his yard is a wreck and he is not interested in crotons anymore. He told me his croton days are over. I Asked him about cuttings and he does not want to cut the few he has left.

(SunnyFl @ Jul. 29 2006,19:43)

Ray, when is the croton-fest?  Is it members-only - and I think I'd like to join.  Judy gave me a brochure back in March, and I have to admit - the croton bug has bitten hard.

Always loved them, but seeing the many varieties.... well, they're incredible.

My collection so far:  fire (a/k/a mamey) - I've lost count of those - an unknown croton that may be "fantasia," petra, stoplight, and today I added Irene Kingsley.

Wishlist so far:  Gloriosa, Red Thia & Rex (from Croton Society website) and the Thomas Edison looks like a beauty!

Word to the wise, Don`t do it :angry:

Can you guys confirm this one as "Karen"?  Thats what it was sold to me as.  I bought a group of them today for some added color out front.

c4607d38.jpg

ce13da61.jpg

Larry 

If thats what they called it when you bought it, then thats what it is. Like I said before Crotons have so many different names its hard to keep track of them all. The one you have has been called Fantasia or AFD#5 and now Karen just to name a few.

(Dave Butler @ Jul. 29 2006,21:20)

If that what they called it when you bought it, then thats what it is. Like I said before Crotons have so many different names its hard to keep track of them all. The one you have has been called Fantasia or AFD and now karen just to name a few.

I guess Ill go with whatever name is most commonly accepted then.

Would that be Fantasia?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jul. 29 2006,21:29)

(Dave Butler @ Jul. 29 2006,21:20)

If that what they called it when you bought it, then thats what it is. Like I said before Crotons have so many different names its hard to keep track of them all. The one you have has been called Fantasia or AFD and now karen just to name a few.

I guess Ill go with whatever name is most commonly accepted then.

Would that be Fantasia?

Thats the name most nurseries down south call it. Fantasia

(Dave Butler @ Jul. 29 2006,21:34)

Fantasia it is then.

I believe thats also what it tends to be called up here as well.  I am not up on all the Croton lingo but I have certainly heard of that one.

Larry 

If the "Karen" croton in the photo is also "Fantasia," then mine is something else.  Although the coloration is similar, it looks like a thicker-leaved variety than mine.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Jul. 29 2006,22:37)

If the "Karen" croton in the photo is also "Fantasia," then mine is something else.  Although the coloration is similar, it looks like a thicker-leaved variety than mine.

Lets see a picture of that plant if possible

Dave,

Will you be going over to the Croton Fest in Oct.?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

ADD  REPLY

Well my reply is......I'm so damn addicted to these plants. And......I have seedlings coming up under the mommy plants for the first time. Boy, if I could only come up with another say......Polychrome, Thomas Edison, Prince of Orange,etc., etc.  WOOT, WOOT !

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jul. 30 2006,22:53)

ADD  REPLY

Well my reply is......I'm so damn addicted to these plants. And......I have seedlings coming up under the mommy plants for the first time. Boy, if I could only come up with another say......Polychrome, Thomas Edison, Prince of Orange,etc., etc.  WOOT, WOOT !

Jeff,

Your seedlings will never, ever be the same as the parent plant, unless you take a cutting or a airlayer. This has been discussed before, crotons are very unstable and crossed with many other different types crotons that to get a exact plant from seed is highly unlikely. Now what you can do is if those seedlings turn out to be something after 5 years of growth other than green, then you have just another unnamed hybrid. And then you can call it Woot Woot if you like. Hybridizers years ago crossed and named crotons we have today, like polychrome, Thomas Edison, etc. These hybridizers from years past had 100`s of plants and only a few got names the others did not. John Benders collection of crotons in his yard is full of unnamed hybrids along with named hybrids. Is WOOT WOOT a name you gave one of your seedlings, post a picture of it for all of us to see :D

(Jeff Searle @ Jul. 30 2006,22:47)

Dave,

Will you be going over to the Croton Fest in Oct.?

Jeff,

What is a croton fest never heard of it before, unless your talking about that handful of croton collectors in Tampa area are they having a cook out again. I don`t think i`ll be going, check out this site for more information on crotons.

http://www.crotonsociety.com

To many visits, try the first of the month

Prince of Orange?  What is that Mr. Searle?

There is a Red King you know.  I think it's a Rutherford creation.

Looks a little like General MacArthur but with more veining.

This time of year, they'll root anywhere.