IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philodendron"evansii"

• 3 years later...

thanks to all for info on p evansii. i recently saw in berkeley an amazing yard full of mature palms with many p evansii underneath. i live on the sf peninsula so have a similar climate and would love to find some p evansii. mnorell mentions "dan anderson" as a source. does anyone know who that is and where? thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hello I cannot tell how old this thread is but I have a philodendron Evansii and I’m wondering how best to help it get in the ground after it has been in a pot for about five years. I did not dare put it in the ground until I bought a house. It is very root bound and sending out air roots  I’m not sure if I can prune them. I live in Central Valley CA with very loamy soil. I have drug this thing with me everywhere and finally can put it in the ground!!  Any tips would be great. Thx!

• 4 months later...

For those looking for a Philodendron x 'Evansii' I just scored a nice big one in a 3gal at Moller's Nursery in Palm Desert. They had a few huge, trunking and very expensive 15s last year (long gone) but the 3gals that just came in were reasonable for the size ($60 retail) and beautiful, huge things with really elongate petioles (shadecloth-grown). I have a feeling ABC Nursery in Gardena may be who is growing these things, they've always grown a lot of these traditional-yet-hard-to-find California-centric shade-loving tropicals, and I can't imagine who else would be doing it. Boy, when I think how impossible it is to find these wonderful plants in Florida...if you're in California and have been looking for these, you might want to try getting your local nursery to track them down.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Great price.  I wish they shipped.  I know of one place that has them locally to me but they're $125 for 1g.  That's a little steep for me for a zone push experiment.

Yes, $125 is steep for a one gallon...on the other hand, I grew a one-gallon-size specimen in my garden in Natchez, Mississippi and it grew fast but always came back from below mulch-level after bad winters (think 2010, which was 18F and three solid days below freezing in Natchez). League City is much warmer than Natchez. Evansii is a hybrid involving selloum (aka bipinnatifidum) and speciosum (a much more tender plant) but has pretty much equivalent, maybe just a little less, aerial hardiness than selloum in my own experience. But pretty tough. I unfortunately finally killed that plant when I dug it to move it to Florida. For whatever reason it didn't survive the transition. It was as I tried to replace it that I discovered how difficult this plant is to source there (and when you find it at the aroid specialty nurseries, how shockingly expensive it can be).  Luckily it is still around just a little bit in California.

If you don't want to bust the bank, there is also what I think is a very beautiful cultivar called 'Revolution' that you might want to take a look at, with fuller leaves, and so has more of the 'Evansii' look. This is in tissue culture and available through mail-order outlets and eBay vendors, etc. And if you're really worried about cold-hardiness, there is a more standard-looking form of selloum that was selected for extra hardiness called 'Hope,' also in TC. Plant Delights in North Carolina has tested it to an 8-degree winter there and they say it came back in June from below the mulch-line. I ordered both of these from eBay vendors for my garden in the Keys a couple of years ago and while 'Hope' is nothing spectacular, just a little unusual (smaller) than normal selloum, I think 'Revolution' is really a gorgeous plant, and it has grown fast for me there.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

3 hours ago, mnorell said:

If you don't want to bust the bank, there is also what I think is a very beautiful cultivar called 'Revolution' that you might want to take a look at, with fuller leaves, and so has more of the 'Evansii' look. This is in tissue culture and available through mail-order outlets and eBay vendors, etc. And if you're really worried about cold-hardiness, there is a more standard-looking form of selloum that was selected for extra hardiness called 'Hope,' also in TC.

I found "Hope" and "Little Hope" at the local Lowe's.  It seems that they are mostly a smaller version of Selloum.  I planted some along a hedge of viburnum, just to fill in the low open areas so the neighbors couldn't see through.  It's like a 1/3 size Selloum.  The photo is a little bright, but the tape measure shows the leaves at about 1 foot long and 8-10" wide:

1040664601_P1070340hopephilodendron.thumb.JPG.1f36659a7a6c03f7adf4c7bdffdb31d1.JPG

I haven't been able to find "Revolutions" or "Revolution" at a reasonable mail-order price either.  At one point I found it on Amazon for about $30, but I didn't bother ordering any at the time.  If anyone knows of a good mailorder source, let me know!

Edit: durrrrrrr (smacks forehead)...Hirt's Gardens has Revolutions in a 2.5" pot for $10.  It's a lot smaller than the $125 6" pots sold elsewhere, but worth a shot!

https://hirts.com/revolution-philodendron-easy-to-grow-house-plant-2-5-pot/

Great info!  I'm going to order up some "Revolution" tonight.  It's a nice looking plant, thanks for the heads up.  I have a Wilsonii aka Subincusim growing up an oak right now but it was slowish the first year in the ground.  Hoping for a faster summer this year.  The coldest it's seen so far is only 29 but it has a heavy canopy and didn't flinch.  I've also read in some places that Anthurium Faustinomirandae aka "Faustinos Giant" can handle some cold, while other sources claim it's just as tender as any other Anthuriums.  Any experience?

I don't know anything about the Faustino's Giant, but pretty much all of my Thai Giant and similar elephant ear types burn to a crisp at the first freeze.  Most come back, it's just the leaves that burn.  The only one that has been reliable under freezing is a thick black stem one, I can't remember the name.  It might be Alocasia Macrorrhiza but the stems are super-thick.  I had 28F with frost here Christmas night, and the exposed leaf on the left burnt from frost.  The others had no significant damage.

866398100_P1070341blackalocasia.thumb.JPG.bd30b0af2a9dcdaa5ee200cfffe46623.JPG

• 1 year later...

I bought 4 Philodendron Evansii from Multiflora last summer, and planted two of them in the fall.  This one is the bigger of the two, they were both somewhat burned by mid-to-upper 20s and frost in January.  This one is in full AM sun and PM shade, and is just starting to really show the leaf character.  It would look nicer if those #$%&&@# lubber grasshoppers would stop eating the leaves.  Maybe next year it'll start trunking!

176680238_P1090907PhilodendronEvansii.thumb.JPG.e975dc7e77f9ded76e8e5ad2811ca050.JPG