IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Floribunda's Dypsis 'Lafazamanga'?

Jdiaz31089

I saw this palm on Floribunda's availability list, but couldn't find much information on it aside from this old post here. 

Dypsis Lafazamanga

Is anyone already growing this palm? Seems to be a variant of baronii, possibly with more colorful stems? 

So, I received some of these last week. Like you, I couldn't exactly tell what I was ordering. Some of the opinions I found online seemed to infer that it was perhaps Dypsis "black stem". Not being sure, I just ordered them in the event they're something cool. The seed is of the size & shape of baronii & onilihensis. We'll see..

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I want some

PANT PANT PANT

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was just at Floribunda for a few days. I got to see a good size on in the ground. They are very colorful indeed.

Its not a black stem baronii nor does it really look like one in person IMO. Its more of a  psammophila type. I hope they do well for us in cali

• Upvote 5

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I was just at Floribunda for a few days. I got to see a good size on in the ground. They are very colorful indeed.

Its not a black stem baronii nor does it really look like one in person IMO. Its more of a  psammophila type. I hope they do well for us in cali

Cool. Looking at the old Jerry Anderson pictures, it was hard to tell. Since I'm not growing the "black stem" version, I've got nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Bret

18 minutes ago, quaman58 said:
18 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Cool. Looking at the old Jerry Anderson pictures, it was hard to tell. Since I'm not growing the "black stem" version, I've got nothing to compare it to. Thanks!

here is a photo so everyone can see.

image1.jpeg.63dbe6ae0542bc21620bd9e2f04dimage2.jpeg.97ca641941dd8279bc27bb6b6d71image3.jpeg.0b14827d03792dc8bf853ff11b7a

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017, 7:38:13, DoomsDave said:

I want some

PANT PANT PANT

Don't we all??!

On 4/2/2017, 9:10:17, Josh-O said:

Josh thank you for the pictures!

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2017, 9:10:17, Josh-O said:

image1.jpeg.63dbe6ae0542bc21620bd9e2f04dimage2.jpeg.97ca641941dd8279bc27bb6b6d71image3.jpeg.0b14827d03792dc8bf853ff11b7a

How's it doing for you Josh?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's lafazamanga from Floribunda (right) next to a DoomsDave lutescens (left). I potted both up today. 

20180814_181913.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I noticed color on lafazamanga today

20181101_173237.thumb.jpg.fcf0fff19fa28c

Looking good. Mine has now finished splitting and looks to have a new sucker that is about to split off again. Getting more and more colorful with a dark maroon spear on the new push. I'll try to get an update pic soon.  I'm starting to think that I should have more than just one of these planted in my yard!!

• Upvote 1

Mine is splitting, but no color yet.  

IMG_1505.jpg

Edited by joe_OC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone chime in with how much sun this can take in SoCal?  I have a potted one that has split and is ready to go in the ground.  I have a spot available, but is pretty much full sun about 5 miles from the coast in Oceanside.  

I think this is the same palm and from what I was told, it's pedigree can be traced back to Jerry's garden. 

Anyway, its turned into a very attractive palm, relatively fast, and trouble free. It's been pruned up a bit........here are a few photos from this morning. 

Tim

P1070744.jpg

P1070740.jpg

P1070745.jpg

P1070748.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@Firepalm I planted one of my 1 gal. in basically full sun back at Easter. So far it's been fine where a Pyriformis next to it has gotten quite a bit of burn. But our weather has been pretty overcast so it's hard to say.

Nice Tim, gotta 1 gallon from Jeff and Suchin, hope it looks as good as yours down the road

much aloha

That is really pretty. Definitely somewhere in the lutecsens complex imo. But gorgeous.

Bret

Thanks for the updated pics Tim! This is a gorgeous palm! I think I'm just going to plant it out and use shade cloth if it struggles with the sun later this summer.  This seems like a plant that should be able to handle the sun here as most of the other Dypsis clumpers do fine at my house with full or nearly full sun.

3 minutes ago, Firepalm said:

Thanks for the updated pics Tim! This is a gorgeous palm! I think I'm just going to plant it out and use shade cloth if it struggles with the sun later this summer.  This seems like a plant that should be able to handle the sun here as most of the other Dypsis clumpers do fine at my house with full or nearly full sun.

I went and looked last night (too dark for good pics). My much larger 5 gal. Mayotte Island has a bit of burn as do both of my 5g. basilongas in the same full sun area. The Laffaz looked pretty good. I think you're probably going to be good to go down there.

12 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

I went and looked last night (too dark for good pics). My much larger 5 gal. Mayotte Island has a bit of burn as do both of my 5g. basilongas in the same full sun area. The Laffaz looked pretty good. I think you're probably going to be good to go down there.

Thanks Matt! Appreciate the update on the Mayotte and the Basilongas too as I have both of those waiting to go in the ground as well.   

Just now, Firepalm said:

Thanks Matt! Appreciate the update on the Mayotte and the Basilongas too as I have both of those waiting to go in the ground as well.   

No prob. All were under shade cloth and I didn't do a good job acclimating them. Oh well.

• 10 months later...

!! BUMP !!

Is yours in the ground Josh?

How much sun has it seen??

...  I Just got a small one.  

I live in Vista and want to plant mine in a spot that gets FULL sun from mid day on, half day full exposure.

Any feedback / advice is welcome... and everyone likes pictures.

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

!! BUMP !!

Is yours in the ground Josh?

How much sun has it seen??

...  I Just got a small one.  

I live in Vista and want to plant mine in a spot that gets FULL sun from mid day on, half day full exposure.

Any feedback / advice is welcome... and everyone likes pictures.

lol i killed mine! :( irrigation malfunction last summer in 100+ degree heat (120+ in the greenhouse). I'll be looking to get another soon though, if anyone is growing them. 

Here is my full sun(east Hawaii) grown one. I would think if you could grow the areca in full sun where you are this will be fine however,  it will look more attractive in a filtered light situation 

15872387873082636197276976723280.jpg

15872388234093070532798148529039.jpg

1587238897560277848915165861720.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Here are some updated photos of my good one. I have another that can’t  seem to stay green so I’m giving it some extra fertilizer and I’ll see what happens. Not sure what the issue is as this good one has been a fast and easy grow. 

C6EAE372-05BA-4D02-80EF-D005D09A2D5E.thumb.jpeg.c7cd2d02eca8c5ad8ca2123cc3c9d3f3.jpeg

AF3C2054-9E12-45CA-9E7C-AA6C05805BA4.thumb.jpeg.5ad6c471ebcd9aa5a54ac00496cebfbe.jpeg

Sandal for scale:

E1F06C30-5705-4A34-85C1-0B94760F1BF3.thumb.jpeg.e4fe0132f9291817d27111b627963647.jpeg

Daughter for scale:

BF0D68B5-4349-4A1A-80FA-C3803F4C429C.thumb.jpeg.dba141fda48af3503757947747dd5533.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I purchased one last spring from Josh Allen.  It has opened new spears, but might still be 'coasting' on its SoCal energy.  We will see if it can grow completely new fronds in my warmth-deprived microclimate.   :36_14_15[1]:

San Francisco, California

I'm wondering if some of these are hybrids.  The vigor and speed of some compared to others is night and day.  My "good" one is now producing seed.  My "bad" one is still yellow and spotty and I can never get it to look good regardless of fertilizer, etc...  

I just bought 3 more of these and I can already tell that 1 of the 3 will be good and the other 2 seem like tough grows.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I'm wondering if some of these are hybrids.  The vigor and speed of some compared to others is night and day.  My "good" one is now producing seed.  My "bad" one is still yellow and spotty and I can never get it to look good regardless of fertilizer, etc...  

I just bought 3 more of these and I can already tell that 1 of the 3 will be good and the other 2 seem like tough grows.   

It’s funny I was looking through some of these photos and thought some look kind a bit like a half and half of arenarum and lutescens. I definitely see traits of both in some of these, but with Dypsis who knows. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I thought I’d throw in an update of this beautiful little palm. I like the open clump of stems and the upright habit.

It looks so clean and tidy, the colors make it look almost soft. Great scale and an interesting garden plant.

Tim

8FDF29DB-05FE-4BB1-8B61-D7ADE109A52F.jpeg

33F3FD96-F692-40E8-A282-69EF3E031978.jpeg

ADED0D24-9712-4733-A0C3-C4D29D0A6D95.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii