Sign in to follow this  
TikiRick

Cyclone Debbie, Queensland

TikiRick

Cyclone Debbie is currently off the coast of Queensland, forecasted to impact the coastal areas with up to 110 mph winds.

To all of our Aussie palm folks in Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Airlie Beach, we are hoping and praying for the best for all of you and your gardens. 

I know how you feel! I've lived through 22 cyclones since I was a little boy in South Florida. 

Thinking of you! 

• Upvote 11

Richie

Thanks Rick , it's starting to get a bit windy here now , but we may be expecting up to 260km/hr winds tomorrow . They are not sure on where it will cross the coast yet , but it sounds like it's going to be pretty bad here over the next two days . I hope the garden survives okay with minimal damage and I hope I have enough beer to ride it out .  

Good luck to everyone here and thanks for your concern , Richie

• Upvote 1

Kennybenjamin

A couple of great palm people and gardens are in the firing line..... let's hope it's not as bad as they are forecasting, good luck people!!!!

steve99

Stay safe all FN Qld folk.  :greenthumb:     I couldn't think of anything worse than the prospect of a cat 4 cyclone making landfall.   :badday:

topwater

Those of us on the Gulf of Mexico feel for you. We go through this too often. Best wishes. 

Edited by topwater

Tyrone
6 hours ago, Richie said:

Thanks Rick , it's starting to get a bit windy here now , but we may be expecting up to 260km/hr winds tomorrow . They are not sure on where it will cross the coast yet , but it sounds like it's going to be pretty bad here over the next two days . I hope the garden survives okay with minimal damage and I hope I have enough beer to ride it out .  

Good luck to everyone here and thanks for your concern , Richie

For those in the US 260kmh is 162mph. :(

Neil C

Stay safe up there. Looks like it's going to be a bad one and hope there is no loss of life.

Regards Neil

TikiRick

I know how you feel. I was on the northern edge of the eye wall of Andrew. It changed a lot but the garden bounced back and offered new possibilities! 

Thinking of you guys down under! 

IMG_2458.GIF

PalmatierMeg

I'll add my prayers and best wishes for all PTers in Queensland. I went through Hurricane Charley (140 mph) in 2004 so can relate. Hope the cyclone weakens before it hits.

• Upvote 1

Las Palmas Norte

Yikes ... here it's rare to see winds exceeding 40 knots. Best o luck down your way.

Richie

Looks like she's heading just north of the Whitsundays and now turned into a Cat 3 and soon to be Cat 4 cyclone . The winds here have increased to 100 km/h gusts and are expected to get worse as the day progresses . It sounds like a freight train coming over the hill at times , then dies off . The gardens holding up well , but when the wind gets stronger and constant we may be in trouble , looks like it might be a long day/night ahead until it crosses tomorrow morning .

tropicbreeze

Once you've secured whatever you can then it's time to just wait and keep your head down. It's important to remember that damage is just damage, living people can rebuild. It's not worth taking chances.

Not much consolation but dry air is starting to entrain into the system and the upper outflow to the north is becoming disorganised. It means intensification is slowing but unfortunately not reducing nor even stopping. But it also means it's more likely to end up a low end 4 instead of an upper end 4, and not at all likely to become a 5. Every little bit counts. Good luck to everyone.

• Upvote 2

edric

Hope everyone is OK, Ed

peachy

Looks like Andrew is right in the firing line...take care all of  you up there and batten the hatches

steve99

This could be a big one.  

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the coastal and adjacent inland areas between Bowen and Sarina, including the Whitsunday Islands, are requested to USE the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before broadcasting the following warning

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 29

Issued at 9:59 pm EST on Monday 27 March 2017

Headline:

Severe tropical cyclone Debbie, category 4, continues moving towards the coast.

Areas Affected:

Warning Zone

Lucinda to St Lawrence, including Townsville, Mackay, and the Whitsunday Islands, extending inland to Charters Towers, Mount Coolon, Moranbah, and Pentland.

Watch Zone

None.

Cancelled Zone

None.

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie at 10:00 pm AEST:

Intensity: Category 4, sustained winds near the centre of 175 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 250 kilometres per hour.

Location: within 30 kilometres of 19.6 degrees South 149.7 degrees East, estimated to be 160 kilometres east northeast of Bowen and 185 kilometres north northeast of Mackay.

Movement: west at 9 kilometres per hour.

Severe tropical cyclone Debbie is currently a category 4 cyclone. It may intensify further as it continues to move west-southwest towards the Queensland coast tonight. Severe tropical cyclone Debbie is forecast to make landfall between Ayr and Cape Hillsborough (north of Mackay) on Tuesday morning.

Hazards:

The VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE of tropical cyclone Debbie is forecast to cross the coast between Ayr and Cape Hillsborough (north of Mackay) on Tuesday morning with wind gusts potentially to 275 km/h near the centre of the system.

DESTRUCTIVE WINDS with gusts over 125 km/h are beginning to occur about the Whitsunday Islands, and will extend further to the exposed coast and islands between Ayr and Mackay later tonight. These DESTRUCTIVE WINDS may extend further northwest along the coast to Townsville and to adjacent inland areas, including Collinsville and Charters Towers, and Mount Coolon during the day on Tuesday.

GALES are now occurring about the Whitsunday coast and south to Mackay. These GALES are expected to extend to the remaining exposed coast and islands elsewhere between Townsville and St Lawrence tonight. GALES could potentially extend further northwest to Lucinda and further inland to locations such as Charters Towers, Pentland, Mount Coolon, and Moranbah on Tuesday.

Residents between Cape Upstart and St Lawrence are specifically warned of the dangerous storm tide as the cyclone crosses the coast on Tuesday morning. The sea is likely to rise steadily up to a level well above the normal tide, with damaging waves and flooding of some low-lying areas close to the shoreline as the cyclone approaches the coast on Tuesday. Large waves may also develop along the beachfront. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by the authorities.

Areas of heavy rain with the potential to cause severe flash flooding have developed around the central coast and Whitsundays and are expected to spread to other parts of the northern and central Queensland coast and adjacent inland areas tonight and continue through Tuesday. Widespread daily rainfall totals of 150 to 250 mm, with isolated event totals of 500 mm, are also likely to lead to major river flooding over a broad area this week, and a Flood Watch is current for coastal catchments between Rollingstone and Gladstone, extending inland to the Upper Flinders, Thomson and Barcoo catchments.

Kennybenjamin

She is a big one alright..... Good luck guys and please stay safe!!! This will be destructive I'm afraid 

IMG_9242.thumb.PNG.b5c1aa5375a9ed73a5de5

IMG_9241.thumb.PNG.1610051c14edd8fab9e6d

foxtail

Hmmmm, that thing have an extremely well defined center/ eye.

My best wishes.

steve99

Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays has recorded wind gust of 262kph ( 163mph ) so far today.    When the weather clears it won't be pretty.  I just hope everything works out OK for the two or three palmtalk members that live in that area.  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 2

palmfriend

Hello there,

I really hope you are all doing fine - and as...

On 2017/3/27 14:21:13, tropicbreeze said:

Once you've secured whatever you can then it's time to just wait and keep your head down. It's important to remember that damage is just damage, living people can rebuild. It's not worth taking chances.

I can`t agree more!

All the best to you and your gardens/plants!

best regards

PS: Our typhoon season will start in a month <_< ...and will last until October/November :(

• Upvote 1

Exotic Life
7 hours ago, steve99 said:

I really enjoyed the Airlie beach area during my australian trip, and have lots of good memories from those days.
Based on the pictures and movies I've seen the whole are should look a bit different now, hope everything will recover again. 

Just read on facebook a message from Andrew his brother that Andrew and his family are safe and okay. 

doranakandawatta

My god, so sad,
These pictures remind me the day after the tsunami I experienced in Sri Lanka. 
I hope that it's mostly material damage and no victims. 
I feel very close to all australians who faced this cyclone and would like to send all the support I can, but this maybe only these lines in this comment.

Hopefully we'll soon read messages of the Palmtalk members giving news and telling they are safe, at least ... if their gardens suffered.
Gladly palms are mostly fast growers.