Gtlevine

Jubaea x Syagrus update

Gtlevine

After a few short years my Jubaea x Syagrus has formed trunk.

IMG_5944.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 15

TexasColdHardyPalms

Nice looking palm.  Any guess to the diameter of the trunk? 

Ben in Norcal

When was it planted again, Gary?  Late 00's?  Mine went in ground in 2014 and has been nothing short of explosive...too bad Patric is out of them.

Looks like it has flowered - are the seeds viable?

More pics please!

JasonD

The plant blew me away, Gary, when you had us for a visit some years back. Love seeing it develop.

sergiskan

Incredible grow rate!!!

please, more pics!!

Jdiaz31089

yes, more pics please! 

Daniel

Gary, your palm is incredible and I would imagine that it is the inspiration for pretty much every other J X S that has been planted since. The growth rate has always been astonishing but it seems to be growing faster than ever now. 

Do you have any idea why it has always grown at such a rate, is it a certain fertiliser that you use? 

kylecawazafla

That looks crazy! Awesome palm. 

Tassie_Troy1971

wow

Inot
On 25/03/2017, 00:23:34, Gtlevine said:

After a few short years my Jubaea x Syagrus has formed trunk.

IMG_5944.JPG

Hello,I am new to this forum and I am about to order a lot of palm seeds.One specific palm I am interested in is the mule palm but the seeds are very pricy so I want to be sure that after 2-3 years of them growing in pots I can transplant them into the ground and minimally protect them in my 9a/sometimes barely 8b garden.

Btw your palm tree is amazing hopefully I'll have a few of my own soon.

Josh-O

Gary,

can you get a full Monty shot ?

i've seen that tree and million times in person and it never gets old to look at

:drool:

Mandrew968

What an ugly palm! And I mean that in the nicest way. It kind of reminds me of a mastodon or a woolly mammoth-or a Georgian Olympic power lifter, with back hair popping out of his tights, as he lifts comedic weight over his head. Wish I had one, but mine turned into something else and then died...

• Upvote 1

Tom in Tucson
On 3/24/2017, 4:50:32, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Nice looking palm.  Any guess to the diameter of the trunk? 

On 3/31/2017, 9:56:24, Josh-O said:

Gary,

can you get a full Monty shot ?

i've seen that tree and million times in person and it never gets old to look at

:drool:

Gary: Any chance of getting another shot with something to give that iconic palm some scale (a horse, an elephant, one of your sons or daughters)?

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 89°, Lo 52°

• Upvote 2

Gtlevine

Here is a picture of the full palm with a five gallon bucket. Its trunk is like three of those buckets wide.

IMG_5967.JPG

• Upvote 13

Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms

Wow, that's a spectacular monster!  Boo!

• Upvote 1

Tom in Tucson

Thanks Gary! I see you've once again relied on your trusty Home Depot bucket. Too bad you couldn't have located an elephant (African or Asian):(. For planning purposes that diameter is important (sidewalks, walls, etc.).

Hi 92°, Lo 54° (4-8)

sergiskan

Yeahhh!!, amazing Jurassic Palm!!

thanks for sharing!

DoomsDave

Wow!

A real 850 pound gorilla!

Alicehunter2000

Posting my little guy for posterity...something to compare to in a few years.

20170408_132736.jpg

Alicehunter2000

A closer shot

20170408_132746.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tom in Tucson
On 4/10/2017, 3:00:51, Alicehunter2000 said:

A closer shot

20170408_132746.jpg

David, I hope it does well for you.

Questions:

Assuming you bought it from Patric(k) Schafer, was it the smallest of the 2 sizes he sold (he's apparently out of both now)?

How long have you owned it?

I bought the smaller size in Oct. '14, and the larger in Sep. '15, A couple months ago I noticed the smaller size had surpassed the larger one. They were both planted in the ground in Oct. '15. They are only about 10 ft. apart, get about the same amount of sun, and both get the same care. Weird.

Hi 91°, Lo 53°

Alicehunter2000

It was the larger size...it's grown quite a bit in the pot since I got it, about 1 year. Hope it grows well, it was darn expensive! ....how bout some pics of yours?

Tom in Tucson

David, I'll try to upload some images (with something included to give them a sense of scale) in a few days. You're lucky to own one (at any price). AFAIK, only Patric(k) has ever sold them worldwide, but I believe one other person in Brazil produced some a few years ago, but I can't verify if any still exist. Let's hope they become more common someday. Gary's is without doubt one of the most famous palms in the world.

Hi 92°, Lo 52°

TexasColdHardyPalms

Here is a pic of my rootbound 15gallon that just went in the ground.  It was a small liner in october 2015. 

20170422_163143.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

donalt

Magnificent specimen! I'd like to see  some streets lined with these !

Alicehunter2000

I posted in another thread...but this is more applicable for showing progress. This palm has grown well in my beach sand and both hot & cold weather. Hoping for an explosion of growth in 2019.

20181210_090106.jpg

• Like 2

howfam
On 4/8/2017 at 12:30 PM, Gtlevine said:

Here is a picture of the full palm with a five gallon bucket. Its trunk is like three of those buckets wide.

IMG_5967.JPG

Gtlevine:

This palm has so much potential to be as popular as the mule palm (Butia x S. rom) one day. Many nurseries are now growing mules here in Florida.  Do you know whether there is an effort in California to produce this palm on a wide scale? Also, is there a common name for this palm yet that it would be marketed under ?  

Edited by howfam
Mispelling nursery's. Should be nuseries.
  • Like 1

8B palms

Here is current pic of my JxS, it hasn't until very recently gotten any special attention (fertilizer). The soil (sand) is crappy, it has seen temps of 21oF and no effects it's pushing around 16-17 feet.  It went in the ground late 2014 early 2015, and it has gone crazy since. The soffits of my house are just shy of 8 feet. Love to see pics of others.  Does any one want to speculate if it might produce fertile seed?dr

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

RJ

Gary's has to be 3' in diameter or pretty darn close. :crying:

Kailua_Krish
2 hours ago, 8B palms said:

Here is current pic of my JxS, it hasn't until very recently gotten any special attention (fertilizer). The soil (sand) is crappy, it has seen temps of 21oF and no effects it's pushing around 16-17 feet.  It went in the ground late 2014 early 2015, and it has gone crazy since. The soffits of my house are just shy of 8 feet. Love to see pics of others.  Does any one want to speculate if it might produce fertile seed?dr

Yours has grown much faster than mine in Ocala. Mine is in thick clay though. :interesting:

Tropicdoc

The trunk isn't as thick as I thought it would be. Once the leaf bases come off it might be around 18" diameter or smaller

• Upvote 1

SailorBold

wow.   Thats insane.  Crappy soil ?   lol.

That palm looks amazing-    How wide is the crown?

8B palms

Sailer Bold, I am being honest the soil here is basically sand, it's taken me about 5 years to build up my raised veggie beds to were they actually produce something that you would want to eat.

So I measured the width of he conopy just now and it's between 22-23 feet wide.  I got a piece of string and but it around the base and the circumference is 7 feet 4 inches around and from the pic below it is about 28 inches wide.  It has grown like a rocket, I have only in the last year started giving it generic Sunniland palm fertilizer (6-1-8) which I got at either Lowes or Home Depot, not sure if the trunk will get much bigger, but if it does I will update the post here.

IMG_0084.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

SailorBold

Updates??

• Like 1