IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Jubea x Butia Odorata) x Butia Eriospatha

Peter G

Bought these seeds from RPS a few years ago, had 2 come up, gave one to a fellow PalmTalker. Planted my one in full sun in Spring and has quite happily grown through our Summer. 

Anyone else growing this hybrid?

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9013.JPG

• Upvote 7

I'm the lucky palmtalker who received the other sprout Peter germinated. I haven't planted mine out yet  but probably will next spring. It is happily growing for me.

FB_IMG_1490183993965.thumb.jpg.ac234ff83

It is starting to show a couple of windows now.

FB_IMG_1490183999688.thumb.jpg.94e583247

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Too young to tell.

What are you talking about, these seeds were bought as hybrids. I didn't collect them thinking they look like Jubea x Butia Odorata back crossed with Butia Eriospatha Seeds. 

• Upvote 1

I'm confused about TexasColdHardyPalms comment too!

I'm not sure if he means that the palms are too young to tell if they will make it or that he can't see any difference between our hybrids compared to pure speices? Thats not really the point of this topic though, Peter was asking if anyone else is growing the same hybrid. Surely we can't be the only palm nuts in the world growing this one.

I have these too. one of them is a rocket and is pinnate already. the others are slower and some died from slugs!!! and rodents  

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Peter G said:

Same palm today

52A741B1-F555-4FC3-A3C1-589AA62F8DE4.jpeg

Not a Butia X hybrid expert but from what I have gleemed from Dick Douglas threads throughout the years, I can say with comfort that this palm's growth rate appears to be demonstrating hybrid vigor.

Looks very happy, and the kitty too :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Nice plant.  I’m also growing this from RPS seed.  I’ll snap a pic of my pinnate youngster tomorrow.  It has displayed hybrid vigor.  

I germinated some Mules around the same time as this plant and both are growing at the same pace

• Upvote 1

Great palm! What is the expected cold hardiness in this species?

Regards

Ondrej

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

I'm  glad I didn't get around to planting mine now that I'm in the process of moving. A nice sunny spot with loads of room awaits, spring 2018 is going to be ridiculously busy.