Jdiaz31089

Anyone into succulents?

GDLWyverex
14 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Cool, I'll have to take a look.

Was curious because, from what I have researched, your area is a supposedly a mecca for things like Bursera ( Copal) sp.  And Oaks ( Quercus sp) in the mountains, As well as numerous, still uncommon to U.S. plant geeks, flowering trees that are native to your region of Mexico. 

I have one small  bursera bipinnata  but no Quercus

BurseraBipinnata.jpg.373ccb9b0711d561f4c

I have a  brachychiton acerifolius  which has a leaf shape reminiscent of some quercus though it's a malvaceae.

BrachychitonAcerifolius.jpg.33f7f98d8dc9

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Upvote 2

Tracy

I came across this Dudleya pulverulenta alongside the trail while hiking in Hellhole Canyon (East San Diego County, CA above Escondido).  They were scattered in the cliff face on this granite in a partially shaded area near the bottom of the Canyon.  I always enjoy finding things growing in habitat.  Apparently there are a lot of Dudleya species native to habitats up and down California.  I want to add a few more Dudleya's interspersed in the dry parts of my garden.

20180107-104A8272.jpg

• Upvote 3

Palm crazy

Just noticed my Aloe elgonica has a small flower bud coming out... at the rate its growing I would guess I will have a bloom come April or May. :D

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Upvote 2

Tracy
On 12/20/2017, 6:38:35, Missi said:

The bottom one I KNOW that I know...my brain just isn't working yet this morning. :indifferent:

Aloe somaliensis, but perhaps someone like Geoff Stein will weigh in to clarify.  It has remained solitary, and I think I have photos of the inflorescence somewhere on a hard drive.

20180317-104A8819.jpg

• Upvote 5

Geoff

looks like Aloe hemmingii, but a lot of those spotted Somalian Aloes look alike... Most A somaliensis have very faded spots once mature and longer leaves (and flowers are different than hemmingii... any flower shots?)

Tracy
On 3/26/2018, 6:05:27, Geoff said:

any flower shots?

Unfortunately, I found one of the plant and the stem of the inflorescence was in the frame, but the flowers were not.  That was late December, so my guess is that it was out of bloom or I would have taken a picture of the bloom as well.  Looks like I'll have to post an update when it blooms again next Autumn to share.  Thank you for looking and providing the feedback!  I have appreciated your photos and articles on aloes, palms and other interesting plants over the years!!!

Tracy
On 3/26/2018, 6:05:27, Geoff said:

looks like Aloe hemmingii, but a lot of those spotted Somalian Aloes look alike... Most A somaliensis have very faded spots once mature and longer leaves (and flowers are different than hemmingii... any flower shots?)

Getting close.  I wasn't expecting another bloom right now, but that shows what I know.

20180425-104A9166.jpg

20180425-104A9162.jpg

• Upvote 3

Palm crazy

Here are three Aloes that did really good for me over the winter in a shed with low heat. I decided to grow them all together in one pot. BTW the colors are much brighter in person, come summer they'll be all orangy bronze. 

They are  A. elegans, hildebrandtii, and cameronii. 

DSC_0018.JPG

• Upvote 1

Palm crazy

Aloe chabaudii is another good aloe for me. Winter over just fine in a shed. The cool thing I like about this one it turns red and pink in summer with chalky powder look to the leaves. Very drought tolerant. 

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0018 2.JPG

• Upvote 2

Josue Diaz

Aloe vanbalenii is probably one of my top 3 aloes to grow. Super fast, super easy and colorful. 

20181007_093638.jpg

• Upvote 2

Manalto

And their blooms bear a startling resemblance to petunias! :rolleyes:

Edited by Manalto
I thought I was making it funnier
  • Upvote 2

GDLWyverex
On 7/8/2017, 6:37:02, 5150cycad said:

Here are a few succulents I have around the house. 

1- aloe hercules

2- aloe ramosissima

3- aloe plicatilis 

Does anyone have any experience with stem propogation of any of these 3 plants? 

image.jpeg

FYI: The aloe plicatilis has been reclassified as a kumara plicatilis.

Richard

5150cycad
On 10/7/2018, 2:56:04, GDLWyverex said:

FYI: The aloe plicatilis has been reclassified as a kumara plicatilis.

Richard

Good to know thanks Richard. 

Gonzer

Plicatilis self seeds all over my yards. Little bastids get into every pot. Stem cuttings have never been needed.

• Upvote 2

GDLWyverex
On 3/23/2018, 10:56:46, Tracy said:

Aloe somaliensis, but perhaps someone like Geoff Stein will weigh in to clarify.  It has remained solitary, and I think I have photos of the inflorescence somewhere on a hard drive.

20180317-104A8819.jpg

It looks like the cultivar "pink Blush" to me

Richard

Jubaea

Plicatilis is easy from cuttings.  

Josue Diaz

Just planted an Agave marmorata this weekend

Screenshot_20190211-091438_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Tracy

My wife just loves the pink flowers on this hybrid Echeveria.  The pink edges on the leaflets against the blue green is a nice contrast as well.

20190810-104A4483.jpg

GottmitAlex

If dragon fruit cacti are considered succulents, then yes.