IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone into succulents?

Jdiaz31089

14 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Cool, I'll have to take a look.

Was curious because, from what I have researched, your area is a supposedly a mecca for things like Bursera ( Copal) sp.  And Oaks ( Quercus sp) in the mountains, As well as numerous, still uncommon to U.S. plant geeks, flowering trees that are native to your region of Mexico. 

I have one small  bursera bipinnata  but no Quercus

BurseraBipinnata.jpg.373ccb9b0711d561f4c

I have a  brachychiton acerifolius  which has a leaf shape reminiscent of some quercus though it's a malvaceae.

BrachychitonAcerifolius.jpg.33f7f98d8dc9

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Upvote 2

I came across this Dudleya pulverulenta alongside the trail while hiking in Hellhole Canyon (East San Diego County, CA above Escondido).  They were scattered in the cliff face on this granite in a partially shaded area near the bottom of the Canyon.  I always enjoy finding things growing in habitat.  Apparently there are a lot of Dudleya species native to habitats up and down California.  I want to add a few more Dudleya's interspersed in the dry parts of my garden.

20180107-104A8272.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Just noticed my Aloe elgonica has a small flower bud coming out... at the rate its growing I would guess I will have a bloom come April or May. :D

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2017, 6:38:35, Missi said:

The bottom one I KNOW that I know...my brain just isn't working yet this morning. :indifferent:

Aloe somaliensis, but perhaps someone like Geoff Stein will weigh in to clarify.  It has remained solitary, and I think I have photos of the inflorescence somewhere on a hard drive.

20180317-104A8819.jpg

• Upvote 5

looks like Aloe hemmingii, but a lot of those spotted Somalian Aloes look alike... Most A somaliensis have very faded spots once mature and longer leaves (and flowers are different than hemmingii... any flower shots?)

On 3/26/2018, 6:05:27, Geoff said:

any flower shots?

Unfortunately, I found one of the plant and the stem of the inflorescence was in the frame, but the flowers were not.  That was late December, so my guess is that it was out of bloom or I would have taken a picture of the bloom as well.  Looks like I'll have to post an update when it blooms again next Autumn to share.  Thank you for looking and providing the feedback!  I have appreciated your photos and articles on aloes, palms and other interesting plants over the years!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018, 6:05:27, Geoff said:

looks like Aloe hemmingii, but a lot of those spotted Somalian Aloes look alike... Most A somaliensis have very faded spots once mature and longer leaves (and flowers are different than hemmingii... any flower shots?)

Getting close.  I wasn't expecting another bloom right now, but that shows what I know.

20180425-104A9166.jpg

20180425-104A9162.jpg

• Upvote 3

Here are three Aloes that did really good for me over the winter in a shed with low heat. I decided to grow them all together in one pot. BTW the colors are much brighter in person, come summer they'll be all orangy bronze. 

They are  A. elegans, hildebrandtii, and cameronii. 

DSC_0018.JPG

• Upvote 1

Aloe chabaudii is another good aloe for me. Winter over just fine in a shed. The cool thing I like about this one it turns red and pink in summer with chalky powder look to the leaves. Very drought tolerant. 

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0018 2.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Aloe vanbalenii is probably one of my top 3 aloes to grow. Super fast, super easy and colorful. 

20181007_093638.jpg

• Upvote 2

And their blooms bear a startling resemblance to petunias! :rolleyes:

Edited by Manalto
I thought I was making it funnier
  • Upvote 2

On 7/8/2017, 6:37:02, 5150cycad said:

Here are a few succulents I have around the house. 

1- aloe hercules

2- aloe ramosissima

3- aloe plicatilis 

Does anyone have any experience with stem propogation of any of these 3 plants? 

image.jpeg

FYI: The aloe plicatilis has been reclassified as a kumara plicatilis.

Richard

On 10/7/2018, 2:56:04, GDLWyverex said:

FYI: The aloe plicatilis has been reclassified as a kumara plicatilis.

Richard

Good to know thanks Richard. 

Plicatilis self seeds all over my yards. Little bastids get into every pot. Stem cuttings have never been needed.

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2018, 10:56:46, Tracy said:

Aloe somaliensis, but perhaps someone like Geoff Stein will weigh in to clarify.  It has remained solitary, and I think I have photos of the inflorescence somewhere on a hard drive.

20180317-104A8819.jpg

It looks like the cultivar "pink Blush" to me

Richard

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My wife just loves the pink flowers on this hybrid Echeveria.  The pink edges on the leaflets against the blue green is a nice contrast as well.

20190810-104A4483.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If dragon fruit cacti are considered succulents, then yes.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 1 year later...

I don't recall the name of this particular Echeveria, but it adds a nice low texture to the garden as it forms a little colony.  The blooms are colorful as well.

20210124-BH3I2370.jpg

• Like 1

No leaf-type succulents, but a package of succulent goodies to pot up on a chilly Tuesday afternoon..
DSC00494.thumb.JPG.759a6a6d9642d62a98f9b76ca2c02cd9.JPG

Left to right: Yucca endlichiana (2), Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus var. albiflora (2 Mammillaria longimamma var longimamma (1)  Couple more things on the way. :yay:
DSC00495.JPG.b9b025ed3c5aee4cd4db684c4562e8ab.JPG

Potted up and sitting inside until after tomorrow night.
DSC00496.JPG.8dc25fd8e5125b5aed7061279a66a291.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Box o' goodies #2:

Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. perezdelarosae:

Small sized solitary or slow to offset Mam. from Jalisco and Augasaclientes States, Mexico.  Late winter/early spring flowering ( Flws. pink -whitish pink tinted greenish ). May be confused w/ similar looking Mammillaria bombycina but technically differing both in color of the central spines ( often reddish, w/ out the darker tips on Mam. bombycina )/ denser radial spines. 2 forms.. Of the two,  M. p. Subsp. andersoniana  has straight spines ( no hooked ends ) and is slower growing/ stays spherical longer than the species type.

Might be the most attractive Mammillaria in the Genus. If not, definitely in the top 10.

Nicer-spined of the pair:
DSC00501.thumb.JPG.83e6df6f21fead60ba7e74addfd46d0f.JPG

2nd:
DSC00502.thumb.JPG.97022fdad9895b8cfd849ff1ce2591da.JPG

Side by side.. Flowers already starting to push out on both:
DSC00498.JPG.841ed37f6acb4276e99e33db388efe67.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Here is my Aloe ‘blue elf’ growing in full sun. One of the only aloes hardy enough for me.
Has enjoyed the rain; I’m looking forward to watching these blooms.  

502E8801-6DFA-4FD9-A8C7-803D5CA0DF77.thumb.jpeg.67c8921c612028d8bfd38b0c22a948fc.jpeg

A1A5D423-A844-4528-837E-340457CC9055.thumb.jpeg.235ec2f00e3c310e767d4ced448f4587.jpeg

69F8E3FD-0786-4B57-8649-D6D0712758AC.thumb.jpeg.fba53c4ac88989d17e4c2344c597b53a.jpeg

Brahea armata for color comparison:

4CC9C6E7-E694-47B1-A126-F7F4BE3BD584.thumb.jpeg.f97683ba4bfc4ae83c21bed64cd61f34.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hi Nathan,

How do you keep the Y. endlichiana alive? Tried so many times but never was successfull. This is a yucca I'm loving so much.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

14 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Nathan,

How do you keep the Y. endlichiana alive? Tried so many times but never was successfull. This is a yucca I'm loving so much.

Eckhard

Have killed a couple myself as well.. The biggest one i have is planted in a well draining, open soil mix that contains a lot of chunky Pumice, some Limestone i collected and broke into smaller pieces, Turface MVP ( think they sell the same basic product ( Calcined Clay ) in Europe under the name Seramis ) and very little -anything- organic. In habitat these grow on chunky Limestone. And follow -as best as possible- a similar watering  schedule as what they would receive in habitat.. ( leave it pretty much dry in winter.  water once a week/ every other week in mid Spring thru about August.. )  I honestly probably could water a bit more in summer but am nervous about doing so w/ our heat ( Our extreme heat keeps pots warm, even in shade.  Add wet feet to that and plants can / do rot, almost as easily as wet/ cold feet in winter. )

When i stepped it into a larger pot, was real careful not to mess w/ the roots ( have heard some of the non-trunking Yucca can be testy when repotting. Even if these are easy,  Not taking chances, lol. )

Obviously i'm referring to plants in pots. Far less of an issue w/ plants in the ground as long as the drainage is excellent. Here, in-ground specimens handle the heat, occasionally wet feet during a wet summer ( or winter ) fairly well. Notice most are planted below something that provides afternoon shade in summer though. Doubt that would be an issue in cooler areas.

**On a side note, after talking to the person i picked up the babies from, looks like this Yucca is going thru some Taxonomic changes soon and will likely be re-listed under a different Genus.** 

Was also told, unlike other Yucca, these are easy to pollinate by hand. He told me his biggest specimen took 17 years to flower ( forgot to ask if that was from seed ).. but, this was simply because he'd kept it in too small a pot for quite some time. ( is in a 24gal pot now ) My biggest will go into a wide 7 or 10Gal this year hopefully.  They can skip years between flowering as well, from what i gathered in our conversation.

Is my favorite of the Genus as well.

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2021 at 11:31 AM, Tracy said:

I don't recall the name of this particular Echeveria, but it adds a nice low texture to the garden as it forms a little colony.  The blooms are colorful as well.

20210124-BH3I2370.jpg

What is your secret to growing these.  I have tried multiple times and they just die on me.  Do these need a sandy soil?  Thanks.  Anybody can chime in with any advice.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

15 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

What is your secret to growing these.  I have tried multiple times and they just die on me.  Do these need a sandy soil?  Thanks.  Anybody can chime in with any advice.

Reyes, I'd bet the trouble you're having growing these is heat ( and/or humidity ) related..  Can't grow them here ( wayy too hot ) and would quickly melt in Florida ( hot/ humid ) though a few people had luck.. In those cases, these were grown in the coolest, north facing spot they had and rarely were watered.. which matches the environment you'd find these ( and the related Genus Dudleya, Graptopetalum, majority of Sedum, Sempervivum ) cool, moist, shaded spots under trees/ in between rocks ..often growing among mosses / ferns.. often facing north.. even the few species that will withstand more indirect heat ( Echeveria strictiflora = West Texas, Dudleya saxosa / arizonica = AZ/ CA. ).  Coastal CA is about perfect for growing these in more direct sun.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Reyes, I'd bet the trouble you're having growing these is heat ( and/or humidity ) related..  Can't grow them here ( wayy too hot ) and would quickly melt in Florida ( hot/ humid ) though a few people had luck.. In those cases, these were grown in the coolest, north facing spot they had and rarely were watered.. which matches the environment you'd find these ( and the related Genus Dudleya, Graptopetalum, majority of Sedum, Sempervivum ) cool, moist, shaded spots under trees/ in between rocks ..often growing among mosses / ferns.. often facing north.. even the few species that will withstand more indirect heat ( Echeveria strictiflora = West Texas, Dudleya saxosa / arizonica = AZ/ CA. ).  Coastal CA is about perfect for growing these in more direct sun.

Thanks Nathan.  That's probably what it is.  A combination of both heat and humidity.  We get both hot and very humid in spring summer and fall.  Plus I probably over water as well.  I probably will try to grow it one more time since I do like the plant, maybe try it as an indoor plant.

1 minute ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Thanks Nathan.  That's probably what it is.  A combination of both heat and humidity.  We get both hot and very humid in spring summer and fall.  Plus I probably over water as well.  I probably will try to grow it one more time since I do like the plant, maybe try it as an indoor plant.

That might work. Could also try growing in the cavities on a good sized chunk of Holey Rock/ weathered Limestone, tucked into a cool spot in your yard, if you have access to such rock in that part of Texas.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Box o' goodies #2:

Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. perezdelarosae:

Small sized solitary or slow to offset Mam. from Jalisco and Augasaclientes States, Mexico.  Late winter/early spring flowering ( Flws. pink -whitish pink tinted greenish ). May be confused w/ similar looking Mammillaria bombycina but technically differing both in color of the central spines ( often reddish, w/ out the darker tips on Mam. bombycina )/ denser radial spines. 2 forms.. Of the two,  M. p. Subsp. andersoniana  has straight spines ( no hooked ends ) and is slower growing/ stays spherical longer than the species type.

Might be the most attractive Mammillaria in the Genus. If not, definitely in the top 10.

Nicer-spined of the pair:
DSC00501.thumb.JPG.83e6df6f21fead60ba7e74addfd46d0f.JPG

2nd:
DSC00502.thumb.JPG.97022fdad9895b8cfd849ff1ce2591da.JPG

Side by side.. Flowers already starting to push out on both:
DSC00498.JPG.841ed37f6acb4276e99e33db388efe67.JPG

Where did you buy your Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. perezdelarosae cacti?  I would like to try some.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Where did you buy your Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. perezdelarosae cacti?  I would like to try some.  

Found these on Ebay from a seller in Southern California. Not sure if he has any more atm but there were other listings of this species up on Ebay also.

• Like 1

Just a PSA to add to @Silas_Sancona recommendations for some of the hard to find, small cacti (for my taste anyway):

I’ve had good luck from various backyard growers selling on EBay/Etsy, from the Tucson area.

I’ve ordered seed from Mesa Gardens as well, If you mine the slower route, with no problems as well. 

A frustrating matter of futile searching, but something pops up every now and then for me.. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I have played with some of the varieties to find the right spot, but Nathan has it pretty much on the mark above.

7 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Plus I probably over water as well. 

Definitely a no-no to over water these (Echeveria and Dudleya).  I have seen at least one So California coastal species of Dudleya growing in full sun in it's native habitat, but it is a habitat highly influenced by coastal marine layer.  I think some of these actually get most of their water from condensation of dew once we leave the rainy season which is winter here.  My natural soil here in Leucadia is very sandy, fast draining as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Just a PSA to add to @Silas_Sancona recommendations for some of the hard to find, small cacti (for my taste anyway):

I’ve had good luck from various backyard growers selling on EBay/Etsy, from the Tucson area.

I’ve ordered seed from Mesa Gardens as well, If you mine the slower route, with no problems as well. 

A frustrating matter of futile searching, but something pops up every now and then for me.. 

Agree, though i've had a few misses as well in the past. Will say it seems some far more reliable sources for Cacti ( and other succulents ) have popped up on Ebay in the last few years. Think a few may attend the various Cacti/succulent sales in AZ/CA also. Bigger shows held in San Diego and Los Angeles bring out the extra special growers -and a lot of really hard to find plants-.

That said.. and as @RyManUtah mentions, there are numerous things i myself might be looking for that i'll just to have patience to track down until they show up.  Starting from seed is even more reliable, even if you may have to wait longer for X plants to mature/ reach flowering age. ( Mesa Garden and a couple other places have most things, most of the time ) Avoiding ordering anything from overseas, no matter how tempted.

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have played with some of the varieties to find the right spot, but Nathan has it pretty much on the mark above.

Definitely a no-no to over water these (Echeveria and Dudleya).  I have seen at least one So California coastal species of Dudleya growing in full sun in it's native habitat, but it is a habitat highly influenced by coastal marine layer.  I think some of these actually get most of their water from condensation of dew once we leave the rainy season which is winter here.  My natural soil here in Leucadia is very sandy, fast draining as well.

Agree.. Can find various Dudleya and Sedum growing in all day sun in un-developed areas on bluffs north of Santa Cruz that seem to survive on just fog drip most of the year. Further inland, ( imagine the same applies w/ most Echeveria -and numerous, smaller Cacti that also grow in a similar environment- down in Mexico ) the moss / Selaginella mats i'd find most native Dudleya, & Sedum growing with might look crispy dry and not hospitable enough to sustain leafy succulents ( and/or cacti ) during the dry season, ( summer in most of CA ) but these basic plants and the detritus they add and trap retain quite a bit of moisture well after rains have passed. They can also continue to wick lingering moisture from the rocks they grow over, or between for a little while longer. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Here is a Manfreda undulata ‘chocolate mint’ in bloom.  Neat looking plant and strange looking blooms.  Just thought I would bump the thread cuz I don’t see these every day round here.

DA907DE0-5DDC-4550-A796-5840C72F1837.jpeg

2D5886C3-50FC-4982-B4FB-EDF1368F2E1A.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

A fave of mine.  Decided to keep it in the GH this year since last year was so beastly hot!  Cyphostemma uter var. macropus.  Also some Agave V. R.  albomarginata small offsets from my profusely suckering TC stock plants.

thumbnail_20210809_115711.thumb.jpg.032c444454d63c581cdf4cb9727f3c75.jpgthumbnail_20210809_115243.thumb.jpg.13c2205720f57f0b7f612ab15f1d8325.jpg

This is one of my many grafted Pachypodium brevicaule plants.  I have a real hankering for these.   They bloom furiously in spring with these neat buttercup yellow flowers.

thumbnail_20200518_093640.thumb.jpg.5a611290e05884bec2f4aeb5b00342ce.jpg

This is the same plant now August, later in the summer.  It's actually two grafted plants planted together to achieve the specimen look!

thumbnail_20210809_114322.thumb.jpg.81bf23eb1e435e67fc718c626190310e.jpg

Edited by GeneAZ
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Surprise find while scouting an in- town Monsoon season storm chasing location..

Of all the things i'd have expected to come across in a city park, this certainly wasn't one of them. Not looking good for the sad looking specimen on the left of picture #1

Aloe dichotoma..  Really need to be moved from this planter though.

IMG_1895.thumb.JPG.8b13db8ddb62b58db239ddf883bcb8b7.JPG

IMG_1896.thumb.JPG.9e7df0f45bae343a6c75f3562740952d.JPG

IMG_1897.thumb.JPG.ecd90a149a133b0e66313294fad82dd9.JPG

IMG_1898.thumb.JPG.28755c943b95d218e79ba2ffeac33fe3.JPG

IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.eb81c7aa5ffef0b09a61cc8a182a5b0d.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Surprise find while scouting an in- town Monsoon season storm chasing location..

Of all the things i'd have expected to come across in a city park, this certainly wasn't one of them. Not looking good for the sad looking specimen on the left of picture #1

Aloe dichotoma.

Nice find Nathan.  On a side note, I'm trying to retrain myself to use the new genus/species name for the tree Aloes.  So Aloe dichotma is now Aloidendron dichotomum.  I get the change in the genus name, but still don't quite understand the changes to all the species portion from ending in "a" to ending in "mum".  So Aloe ramosissima became Aloidendron ramosissimum.  Any insights into the changes in the species portion when they split off a genus like this?