IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone into succulents?

Jdiaz31089

I’ve grown small A. dorothaea and they always color up for me in the summer. But just one drop of water and they turn back to green. So this year I got a 3 gallon one and haven’t water it for a month and I’m still waiting for it to change color.  Mine only get 4-5 hours of full sun, so maybe thats not enough. Also the 3 gallon one has no sucker on it. 

DSC00080.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Can any of you Southern CA palm folks recommend a place to buy some succulents/aloes/agaves?

Want to add some to my yard for more diversity.

Thanks!

Grigsby Cactus Gardens
2326-2354 Bella Vista Drive
Vista, CA
T:(760) 727-1323

This place has some absolutely amazing stuff. A lot of rare stuff that I had never seen before. Definitely worth the trip. FYI, I would call before you go. I ended up just showing up and I felt like I was a nuisance. Although I did spend quite a bit of time just cruising around admiring all of the amazing plants.  It might have been because it is by appointment only. Worth the trip 
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I only know of places north of you - Dream Garden in Hollywood has lots of really cool, large plants as well as a collection of small plants to choose from. I saw a large, Aloe sabaea there last time I went. Rancho Soledad nursery I've heard it a must-stop place for succulents. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, 5150cycad said:
Grigsby Cactus Gardens
2326-2354 Bella Vista Drive
Vista, CA
T:(760) 727-1323

This place has some absolutely amazing stuff. A lot of rare stuff that I had never seen before. Definitely worth the trip. FYI, I would call before you go. I ended up just showing up and I felt like I was a nuisance. Although I did spend quite a bit of time just cruising around admiring all of the amazing plants.  It might have been because it is by appointment only. Worth the trip 

Cool and thanks B!

On 7/10/2017, 3:02:54, Palm crazy said:

I’ve grown small A. dorothaea and they always color up for me in the summer. But just one drop of water and they turn back to green. So this year I got a 3 gallon one and haven’t water it for a month and I’m still waiting for it to change color.  Mine only get 4-5 hours of full sun, so maybe thats not enough. Also the 3 gallon one has no sucker on it. 

DSC00080.JPG

Are you sure this is A. dorotheae? Maybe a hybrid of A. vera?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

I am not 100% sure but thats what the tag said… there was another one also but it had lots of suckers around the base. It possible it could be something else. I love A. dorotheae because it does color up really good in summer. The tips one this one is starting to turn color but thats it. I think aloe vera has smaller thorns on the leaves than this one does, so now I am not really sure. I might go back and get the other one I saw that has sucker (if its still there) come august. 

After looking at picture os A. dorotheae they don’t seem to have such large upright leaves as this one does. So maybe a hybrid of some kind?

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

As long as it gets enough sun, my small Aloe vaombe (Malagasy Tree Aloe) colors up nicely during the summer here. It's never water-stressed but certainly has to endure considerable heat. 

Aloe_v.jpg

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Missi said:

After doing some research it looks to me you may be right… this is not A. dorotheae.

A.dorotheae leaves are more horizontal and when stressed curl back. This one doesn’t do any of that… I got this one a the B.B. store. I still going to go back soon and check out the other one there with the same name.  Maybe if this blooms for me I’ll be able to ID it for sure. 

Here is what real ones look like. from the internet. Love this plant. 

Aloe-dorotheae-Sunset-Aloe3.jpg

0cf363.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

I am not 100% sure but thats what the tag said… there was another one also but it had lots of suckers around the base. It possible it could be something else. I love A. dorotheae because it does color up really good in summer. The tips one this one is starting to turn color but thats it. I think aloe vera has smaller thorns on the leaves than this one does, so now I am not really sure. I might go back and get the other one I saw that has sucker (if its still there) come august. 

After looking at picture os A. dorotheae they don’t seem to have such large upright leaves as this one does. So maybe a hybrid of some kind?

Gorgeous, nonetheless! :wub:

8 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

After doing some research it looks to me you may be right… this is not A. dorotheae.

A.dorotheae leaves are more horizontal and when stressed curl back. This one doesn’t do any of that… I got this one a the B.B. store. I still going to go back soon and check out the other one there with the same name.  Maybe if this blooms for me I’ll be able to ID it for sure. 

Here is what real ones look like. from the internet. Love this plant. 

Aloe-dorotheae-Sunset-Aloe3.jpg

0cf363.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

I got my A. dorotheae from a mom and pop nursery, but by the grower Monrovia, years ago. BB stores carry Monrovia plants. My dorotheae doesn't get big at all. However, I have it in a smallish clay pot, rather than in the ground like that nice big one in your photos, because succulents in the ground in S FL = rot in my experience :crying: It doesn't get the issues with rot and black spotting like my other Aloes do, though. Definitely a little treasure!

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2017, 12:02:54, Palm crazy said:

DSC00080.JPG

I think this is A. elgonica

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I think this is A. elgonica

I’m not to sure, A. elgonica leaves are more wider and shorter than mine. I am thinking it might be Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) or something similar. If it blooms this winter or next spring that should help to I.D.

Heres a picture of A. elgonica. Very pretty but the leaves are much to short and wide. But you never now?

7f25ce55bf869f068b357832b36aa822.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

12 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

I’m not to sure, A. elgonica leaves are more wider and shorter than mine. I am thinking it might be Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) or something similar. If it blooms this winter or next spring that should help to I.D.

Heres a picture of A. elgonica. Very pretty but the leaves are much to short and wide. But you never now?

Hmm, I'm not sure that's barbadensis either. Barbadensis has plump, long, and narrow leaves - also less prominent teeth and the color is more of a pale green. The ones in the picture have flat, wide and relatively short leaves with very prominent teeth. They also curve out in that signature elgonica/dorothaea look. Dorothaea is rather small, Elgonica is a pretty large plant. But yes, once it blooms you might have a better idea of what it is. Barbadensis will have yellow flowers.

• Upvote 1

Ok after doing some serious searching at Smart Planet ( mine came from them) and Altman Plants I think mine is ALOE ARBORESCENS. Here are some pics from there website that pretty close to what I have;  :rolleyes: but still not 100% sure. If it flowers that will help. 

desktops25a.jpg

Aloe-Arborescens.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Palm crazy I've got both elgonica and arboresens at home. I'll try to get pictures of both for a side-by-side comparison. 

And that vaombe you have looks great. Mine is totally drought stressed but still green. Who knows what this plant wants to color up. 

• Upvote 1

This is arborescens on the left, and elgonica on the right. Notice the overall size of the plants - arborescens is roughly 4 feet tall and multi-branched. Elgonica is maybe 18 inches tall and pups from underground. There's a very distinct color difference, too, that isn't quite captured in the pictures. 

20170720_134041.thumb.jpg.79beb93bfb9bb8

Leaf Detail - Again, arborescens on the left. 

20170720_134257.thumb.jpg.a5f8dbb2685345

• Upvote 4

And further leaf detail - Arborescens has spines that are spaced closely together, almost fusing together at the base actually. Elgonica has spines that arise from flat leaf edges and are spaced far apart. Arborescens spines are a pale yellow/white.

20170720_134306.thumb.jpg.d0bd7a3a222930

• Upvote 3

Great pics Man!  I can clearly see why you think it is A. Elgonica.  The leaves (on right) looks just like mine when I look at them closely, right down to the light streaking on the leaves, looks like mine all right. Coloration is spot on too. This also explains why the other Aloe at the nursery (same name) had suckers at the base, I’m still going back this evening and see if it still their…..two months have gone by so maybe not? Stay tuned. 

Aloe elgonica (Mt. Elgon Aloe)

DSC00080.thumb.JPG.6a9970d218d54f3e8cf092c60a9f35c7.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

It was still there so I got it. Lots of suckers on this one…  So sorry about the quality of my old camera, its on its way out. 

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

Just noticed something different on the new one that has suckers…. the foliage is blueish green while the non suckering one is apple green. Could they be two different aloes? or maybe one has more sunlight? Sorry I can’t take a better picture. I guess in a year I will know. :crying:

Edited by Palm crazy

11 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Just noticed something different on the new one that has suckers…. the foliage is blueish green while the non suckering one is apple green. Could they be two different aloes? or maybe one has more sunlight? Sorry I can’t take a better picture. I guess in a year I will know. :crying:

Your second aloe looks like very much like aloe arborescens. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Your second aloe looks like very much like aloe arborescens. 

Thanks! Time will Tell. :D

On July 21, 2017 11:12:50 AM, Palm crazy said:

Thanks! Time will Tell. :D

Thanks Jdiaz for all the I.D.s  could not have done it with out your help…:D

Here is my other colorful Aloe called A. chabaudii A nice semi compact one that has nice foliage and orange flowers in winter. Seem like all my big aloes are winter/spring bloomers. I have a few seedlings of Aloe striata to small to plant into container this year but next year look out. :hmm:

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00022 copy.jpg

• Upvote 3

This is one of the first aloe I planted close to 10 years ago from a small 1 gallon. This is Aloe pluridens.

20170724_111832.thumb.jpg.0b1b660e4e02d5

• Upvote 4

Nice looking Aloe down their….. Cacti are succulents too, right?

Here are some cacti 3 miles south of my house at all places Taco Time, lol…. I borrow these photo from Loree Bohl blog called http://www.thedangergarden.com

These cacti have been here for some time and since they have some rain protection, slugs and snails are not a problem in the rainy season. Last photo is a cacti garden in Seatlle from the Seattle Times. 

Taco Time a.JPG

Taco Time b.JPG

Taco Time c.JPG

5cf7fc4e-22ba-11e6-941b-e7f252815342-780x669.jpg

• Upvote 4

On July 10, 2017 10:42:52 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Can any of you Southern CA palm folks recommend a place to buy some succulents/aloes/agaves?

Want to add some to my yard for more diversity.

Thanks!

Here is one of my Favorite Nursery for succulents in Southern Cali….  Serra Gardens in Fallbrooks…. prices are some of the best around. 

https://shop.cacti.com/serra-gardens/#  Here is a picture from their website. Check them out they are awesome place to shop.

HomeGarden_fullsize_3007x1564-e1397598850169.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I was really happy with the way agave desmettiana seemed to be glowing the other morning - I thought I'd share a photo. I think it's getting close to blooming size, which means I won't have this beauty much longer. I'm noticing shorter and thinner leaves in the center. 

20170827_101417.jpg

• Upvote 5

On 8/28/2017, 3:57:31, Jdiaz31089 said:

I was really happy with the way agave desmettiana seemed to be glowing the other morning - I thought I'd share a photo. I think it's getting close to blooming size, which means I won't have this beauty much longer. I'm noticing shorter and thinner leaves in the center. 

You will lose that plant when it blooms but likely gain multiple pups.  I've not grown Agave desmettiana, but every other agave I have grown has yielded multiple offsets after flowering.  Your A. desmettiana is an attractive plant so the dilemma will be where in your garden to put the pups if you get more than one.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎19‎:‎40‎, Jdiaz31089 said:

This is one of the first aloe I planted close to 10 years ago from a small 1 gallon. This is Aloe pluridens.

20170724_111832.thumb.jpg.0b1b660e4e02d5

I love this species, especially when the leaves get their orange hues going.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Tracy said:

A couple of smaller Aloe species... which I don't recall names.

20171219-104A8109.jpg

20171217-104A8081.jpg

Top one appears to be Aloe peglerae, one of my favorites, so thanks for the pic :wub: The bottom one I KNOW that I know...my brain just isn't working yet this morning. :indifferent:

• 2 weeks later...

How about something commonly grown as a house plant in your garden?  Sedum morganianum or Donkey Tail growing in pots on my deck.

20171231-104A8235.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

My collection is very general in nature; lots of palms, cycads, cactus & Succulents, fruit trees, flowering trees... I use succlents to fill out the bottoms of my planters.

Suc-1.jpg.39616facf3cc35043ff2c10b19a112Suc-2.jpg.77eda8d0490df42723349112221c4eSuc-3.jpg.e42020f1e2f77d8a9735ecf8b7c12fSuc-4.jpg.71b753e79ab971817bd38af93f754dSuc-5.jpg.2fe0a08065942dacd0f711e1f7acc7

They are pretty spread out over the roof top garden so here are a few of the better ones.

Richard

• Upvote 4

On 1/1/2018, 12:20:32, GDLWyverex said:

My collection is very general in nature; lots of palms, cycads, cactus & Succulents, fruit trees, flowering trees... I use succlents to fill out the bottoms of my planters.

Suc-1.jpg.39616facf3cc35043ff2c10b19a112Suc-2.jpg.77eda8d0490df42723349112221c4eSuc-3.jpg.e42020f1e2f77d8a9735ecf8b7c12fSuc-4.jpg.71b753e79ab971817bd38af93f754dSuc-5.jpg.2fe0a08065942dacd0f711e1f7acc7

They are pretty spread out over the roof top garden so here are a few of the better ones.

Richard

Nice collection Richard,

Curious which Discorea sp. you're growing ( knobby, Turtle shell- like plant in second picture from the last)

Off topic for a sec. Which flowering trees are in your collection? I know your area has lots of cool things to choose from.

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Nice collection Richard,

Curious which Discorea sp. you're growing ( knobby, Turtle shell- like plant in second picture from the last)

Off topic for a sec. Which flowering trees are in your collection? I know your area has lots of cool things to choose from.

The dioscoria is d.Mexicana

dioscorea-2.jpg.2fbfd432584b954d5e2566a0

dioscorea.jpg.8628b26d66bc8703558d227bac

dioscorea-3.jpg.4826ef1f468d8e3996cf798b

As you can see, it has a long vine bursting with leaves, but no potatoes as yet. I let it climb the pachypodium.

As to flowering trees and schrubs:

allamanda blanchetii, allamanda carthartica, cascabela thevetia,  jacaranda mimosifolia, spathodea campanulata,  tabebuia rosea, clusia rosea, magnolia iltisiana, alcea galilaea,  hibiscus acetosella,  hibiscus sabdariffa,  hibiscus schizopetalus, pseudobombax ellipticum,  talipariti tiliaceum,

and MANY MANY more

best to consult my online inventory, complete with pictures. at Selva.Cabal.mx

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GDLWyverex said:

The dioscoria is d.Mexicana

dioscorea-2.jpg.2fbfd432584b954d5e2566a0

dioscorea.jpg.8628b26d66bc8703558d227bac

dioscorea-3.jpg.4826ef1f468d8e3996cf798b

As you can see, it has a long vine bursting with leaves, but no potatoes as yet. I let it climb the pachypodium.

As to flowering trees and schrubs:

allamanda blanchetii, allamanda carthartica, cascabela thevetia,  jacaranda mimosifolia, spathodea campanulata,  tabebuia rosea, clusia rosea, magnolia iltisiana, alcea galilaea,  hibiscus acetosella,  hibiscus sabdariffa,  hibiscus schizopetalus, pseudobombax ellipticum,  talipariti tiliaceum,

and MANY MANY more

best to consult my online inventory, complete with pictures. at Selva.Cabal.mx

Richard

Cool, I'll have to take a look.

Was curious because, from what I have researched, your area is a supposedly a mecca for things like Bursera ( Copal) sp.  And Oaks ( Quercus sp) in the mountains, As well as numerous, still uncommon to U.S. plant geeks, flowering trees that are native to your region of Mexico.