IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis multifida

mppalms

2-ft. 5g Rhapis multifida (multiple stems, > 10) upslope from a measurement station recording 28.1 deg F on a hillside in Menlo Park (CA).  Exposed to sky.

No damage.

I've heard that these palms can take sub-20 deg. F.

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 8 months later...

Small plant 8" planted out for two years, with little to no overhead protection. 22.8F (Dec 2006); 23.3F (Jan 2008) and a few other frosts/freezes each year mid- to upper-20s. Never any damage.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 2 months later...
Small plant 8" planted out for two years, with little to no overhead protection. 22.8F (Dec 2006); 23.3F (Jan 2008) and a few other frosts/freezes each year mid- to upper-20s. Never any damage.

Michael,

I think your data on this one are the best I've seen. I always suspected this one was hardier than advertised. Thanks.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 2 weeks later...

After my last post and as the new spear had pushed out, I noticed that the base of the new leaf had received some damage, it snapped off at the petiole but a new leaf is now pushing, so I should change my report to "slight damage"...and remember that it's still a very small plant (one thin cane, approx. 8" tall) in the ground without any overhead canopy in winter.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 10 months later...

This species at UC Berkeley Botanical Garden was described as one of the least affected by the 1990 freeze, when temperatures reached as low as 14F in the coldest parts of the garden. It's a nice vigorous hedge around the bathroom in the palm section, so I suppose it got a little protection from the structure, though I'd be surprised if it's heated.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I think this might be my favorite of the Rhapis.

There is a great looking hedge at the exit of the Hawaii Botanical Gardens.....

...see!?

post-646-1236203413_thumb.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

• 1 year later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 50% overhead protection. 1 plant purchased at a CFPACS meeting as a 3 gal now in a 10 gal pot. NO DAMAGE. All caps because I forgot to protect this one. Holy crap. Very attractive palm.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 11 months later...

No damage after past two winters, lows of 21 and a few degrees lower. Very cold tolerant, and quite beautiful!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 year later...

Do you think this species would survive on a north wall in north texas (zone 8a)? (north so they wouldn't get fried)

MIght be worth a try, considering the numbers so far.

There's a couple of Texians on the board who have some California-looking gardens who can give better advice, like Greenhand, among others.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 6 months later...

Do you think this species would survive on a north wall in north texas (zone 8a)? (north so they wouldn't get fried)

Yes. Once established, they'll come back from the ground. That's what happened for me with the freeze in 2010.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 5 years later...

Hardier than R. excelsa for me.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

R. multifida were killed to the ground in last winter's freeze (13.5F) at my place up in Natchez, Mississippi, by far the lowest temperature recorded since we bought the place in 2004, including the brutal 2010 (18F). But it resprouted (as did R. excelsa). This one grows a bit faster than R. excelsa, which is just a difficult plant in 9a Gulf-state areas since the recovery is so slow and it takes years to get back up for the traditional effect. However, the best Rhapis in my experience at the annual recovery thing is R. laosensis. Funny thing is that it is less cold tolerant aerially, I think it dies back around 24F, but it springs back from the ground very quickly in spring, never getting tall but lots of leaves and a full, ground-hugging effect. If I had enough of them I'd use it as a sort of annual mini ground-cover, for which purpose I think it would be very attractive though no doubt too expensive a project to ever really cover a good patch of ground. And I certainly feel that R. multifida is the better choice as one that stays up more of the time in that climate and has a faster vertical growth rate than R. excelsa. Anyone ever tried R. humilis in Gulf 9a areas? I could never get my hands on any to try.

Remember also that Chuniophoenix is another to keep in mind for milder 9a/b areas. Both species are beautiful and quite unique, though they tend to die back somewhere in the very low 20s, they are overall quite cold-hardy and pretty good at resprouting from rare upper teens, but were slow growers for me, perhaps due to too much shade/poor siting or uneven watering/rain. I would think they would just be about perfect for a novel Rhapis-type palm right along the Gulf Coast in the panhandle, also Baton Rouge, Houston, Jacksonville and certainly in New Orleans. But none of mine came back after that 13.5F, whereas all my Rhapis species did.

• Upvote 1

Michael Norell