IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter comparison of PBIA and PB 2016-2017

bubba

A Weather Underground location on Kenlyn Rd. at the North-end of PB reveals the expected large micro-climate between PB near the super warm year round Gulfstream and the reported temperatures at the West Palm Beach airport (PBIA). There is no question that this was a ridiculously warm winter in South Florida but this micro-climate cuts both ways.

Between Dec.1-31 2016, the high temperature at PBIA was 87F on Dec.6, 2016. The high on the same day on the site in PB was 82.4F. The low at PBIA for the month was 49F on Dec. 31,2016 while PB recorded 59F on the same date.

Between Jan.1-31 2017, the high at PBIA was 86F on Jan.3, 2017 and the high the same day was only 79.5 in PB. The low for the month at PBIA was 43F on Jan.31, 2017 while PB recorded 54.9F on the same date.

Between Feb.1-28 2017, the high at PBIA was 88F on Feb.19, 2017 while the same day in PB, the high was only 79.3F. The low for the month was 51F on Feb.17, 2017 while PB recorded 62.2F on the same date.

PBIA's highs were on average 7F higher than PB in winter 2016-17. The low's, however, were nearly 11F higher in PB near the warm/hot Gulfstream(2 miles) compared to PBIA. This substantial difference in low's between PB and PBIA is rather staggering this year. It should be noted that this was one of the first year's where weather data was available in PB.

What you look for is what is looking

I been staying at Boca Raton for almost a year. There was a only a couple of days I needed a long sleeve shirt.  I am about a half mile from the Atlantic. According to FAU's weather station, 46.5 was the coldest it got here this winter. Maybe it was much warmer on the beach.

Bubba I found two Boca beach weather stations with coldest readings for the winter in the 50s.  Pretty remarkable if correct. The same night it was in the mid 30s not to far north at the treasure coast. That is why so many like the Palm Beaches, including our President.

I was in Palm Beach recently and while it is obviously very warm there it looks a little warmer from about the Broward County line and all points south. This is just based on the general look of the area, nothing empiracle... I think Broward County might be the point at which you cross into 11a.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to say mid 40s and low 50s for the absolute low for the winter is extremely mild for the area. Sorry I don't think there is a difference between Coastal Southern Palm Beach county and Coastal Northern Broward.   I believe the USDA growing zone map got it right for the area except right on the beach. Could be zone 11 or a strong 10b. According to the map, Zone 11 is small area from southern coastal Broward to the end of I-95 around downtown Miami.

The difference seemed noticeable when you compare Palm Beach vs Deerfield Beach. I think Deerfield Beach is still zone 11a but I could be wrong. It seems to go further north than what USDA has it at.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b