IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visiting Gene ("gbarce") in Manila

bgl

I am so happy I can discover all these pictures of your wonderful garden this Saturday morning, while having breakfast.
Bo-Göran must have had a good time visiting you, many thanks to Bo and you for posting.

Gene, you're welcome in  Sri Lanka but we don't have such wonderful gardens. Maybe some habitat can interest you, like Loxococcus's habitat. 

BTW ; do you grow Loxococcus rupicola?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

As Dave says, SWOON!  This is quite the collector's garden, and the photos are just mesmerizing!  Your Coccothrinax are wonderful, almost as wonderful as the Copernicia. All the elements -- the palms, the bromeliads, epiphytes, cycads, and other accent plants -- it all adds up to splendor. Well done! Thanks for taking the time to add the full complement of photos -- it was a pleasure wandering through your garden. B)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

WOW Gene! (And Thanks Bo for starting this thread!) Gene, you've been missing a while and it's so great to see how STUNNING your place has become!! Looks like its time for a biennial to the Philippines!! 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow, great growth on your garden Gene. Amazing. Great photos too. You captured it well. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Gene, thanks a lot for adding all the photos of the palms that I missed! :D Let's just say I was overwhelmed - in a very good way! :mrlooney: And thanks everybody for the additional comments. :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow, what a fantastic garden Gene has.  Thanks for starting this thread Bo, you must of had a great trip and tour of the garden and city.   That Licuala peltata sumawongii looks great.  Gene, has this been growing in full Sun?  Can you post a close up of it?

Thanks for your photos!

Nope - no Loxoccocus ropicula.  I tried it once but the seedling didn't survive.  Such a shame because the colors out of the new leaves are pretty amazing.  Maybe i'll be able to try those again in the future.

Here are a few more photos:

Variegated Phoenix sylvestris

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I failed to show these two guys to Bo.  These were in a secluded garden in the back

Calyprocalyx micholitzii and my biggest Hydrastelle affinis

DSC_0520.JPG

DSC_0521.JPG

• Upvote 3

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Here are a few more epiphytes on palms 

Tillandsias - these guys are well established now and have gone through a few generations resulting in good size clusters.

The Platyceriums are relatively newly attached and still need to be supported by wires

DSC_0522.JPG

DSC_0523.JPG

DSC_0524.JPG

Edited by Gbarce
redundant photo

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Some non-palms in the container ranch.  This is a variegated banana that we dug up because it was too big where it was growing.  New shoots are coming out with different degrees of variegation

DSC_0529.JPG

DSC_0531.JPG

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Chambeyronia macrocarpa seedlings -- different degrees of redness.  Based on my experience the ones with the best color are the slowest growers.

DSC_0543.JPG

DSC_0544.JPG

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Some of the things that Bo was most amused by were our backyard birds

Peacocks and Malaysian Seramas ( a type of bantam chicken) 

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I failed to show these two guys to Bo. I am sure Bo will come back :)

... notice anything???? Nice flower, soon will you get fruits ? How old is that plant ? :D

pekins and Runner Ducks .... do you have nice recipes ?

More serioulsy, many thanks for showing such a beautiful garden.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Bo-Goran123123!"#$%&//(()=??¡uytrewqq

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Bo Goran, thank you so much for posting those gorgeous pictures of Gene´s garden, one we have all seen and admired over the years here on Palmtalk. 

Gene, your garden is nothing less than spectacular and I am sure that all the seasoned collectors are aware of the years of dedication that is required to have a garden so lovely as yours.  One question: Are your birds, chickens and peacocks caged or restricted to one area of the garden?  We have had chickens but were quickly removed when we saw how bare they left the garden!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017‎ ‎12‎:‎58‎:‎53‎, humangenomaproject said:

What a weird looking ginger! Do you have a name on that?

Unfortunately the vendor doesn't have a name for it --which is often the case over here.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

6 hours ago, Peter Pacific said:

Bo Goran, thank you so much for posting those gorgeous pictures of Gene´s garden, one we have all seen and admired over the years here on Palmtalk. 

Gene, your garden is nothing less than spectacular and I am sure that all the seasoned collectors are aware of the years of dedication that is required to have a garden so lovely as yours.  One question: Are your birds, chickens and peacocks caged or restricted to one area of the garden?  We have had chickens but were quickly removed when we saw how bare they left the garden!

THanks Peter.  But believe it or not I only started working on it for about 12 years now, but then again it was a pre-existing garden that was started back in  the 1930's.  I have the benefit of decades old trees ( but just one or 2 palms) already in place.

All the birds just run around free, except for the peacocks which we keep in a really big cage.  We let the peacocks out in the mornings when the weather is good and chase them back in the cage before it gets dark or else they might roost up in a tree.  There have been a couple of time when one of them roamed out of our property -- and we are in the middle of the city so we had to chase them off other people's roofs.

yeah the birds sometimes eat garden plants -- specially the geese.  And I have to "cage" my seedling because the birds just dig them up or try eating the new sprouts.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

42 minutes ago, Gbarce said:

Unfortunately the vendor doesn't have a name for it --which is often the case over here.

Gene, the ginger is Alpinia rugosa.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thank you Gene for answering the question concerning your birds.  They add such color to a garden.  I have two large dogs that run around the property I don´t think the birds would live very long!

I always look for gardens in the Philippines for inspiration (and Philippe´s garden in Sri Lanka) because if something grows in your garden surely it will grow in mine, sometimes I am wrong.  If you go directly west from my garden, across the Pacific you will hit Manila.  Kudos to you for your hard work and diligence.

Peter

Peter

Gene,

You rock! 

Hello from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, zone 10a-b.

Tell us more about where you acquire such rarer palms, your climate, and typhoon risk....

Your garden is simply amazing - and in the heart of the city!!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Am pretty lucky with the house which my family has had since the 1930's.  It use to be in the middle of nowhere but the city expanded and eventually grew all around the house.  It's a grand old house so I wanted the gardens to be just as grand -- which is how I got engrossed with collecting palms and rare plants.

I usually get my plants and palms in the annual garden shows over here.  I basically save up for these events and am very decisive when I see a palm that is rare and unusual.  Most of the vendors here get their stuff from Thailand though.  I've bought seeds and try to germinate them and I've also stuffed my suitcase with seedlings when I travel :D

My location is purely tropical.  We have a wet/monsoon season, a dry season where the temperature  gets up to 39 degrees Celsius.  And of course the humidity is typically high.

The Philippines gets about 20 typhoons a year but not all of them will pass through my area, which is in the northern end of the country. We probably get hit by 6 typhoons a year. My location though is on the side of a hill so we are a bit protected from strong winds -- so my palm aren't totally decimated every year..  Lately though the typhoons/storms we are getting are just super heavy rains which results in really extreme floods -- it's a very big contrast to the type of typhoons/storms we had about ten years ago which had very very strong winds and not so much rain.   These "rain heavy" storms that we get now I think are loved by my palms.

Gene

Manila, Philippines