IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FREE Dypsis plumosa seed

DoomsDave

Everyone:

A good friend of mine gave me the seed yield from his mature Dypsis plumosa, and I'd like to share them with you.

Here's a picture of my mature specimen, which unfortunately had a very small yield this year:

IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.1134dc079cdb8eb275158

• Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've got enough for there to be a giveaway of seed.

If you don't know the drill:

INSTRUCTIONS

PM me (don't send a status update) with a "private message" that says "Free Dypsis plumosa seed" in the message, with your full mailing address.

I'm sending seed to the U.S. and the rest of the world, free, no charge. I drop them in an envelope, and send it off. They usually get to places in the U.S. in about a week; overseas, maybe two or three.

This palm is a bit on the small side; the mature specimen pictured is about 8 feet (2.6 M) in overall height, about 1.3 M (4 feet) across the crown. They're best in full sun. They'll take some frost, though they're nowhere near as hardy as Dypsis decipiens.

Plant in at least 6" (18 cm) potting soil, or more. These make deep roots, so deeper pots are better. They're skinny things, never getting much more than a bout 6 = *" across, though I've heard they're a lot more robust in places like Hawaii and Florida.

Full sun is best; I'm honestly not sure how they'll do as houseplants in, say, Canada, but if you want to try some and find out, do it and let us know what happens.

Happy palm growing!

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave,

will you also send cleaned seeds? I'm afraid the german customs will destroy them if not.

If yes, it would be a pleasure for me to receive some seeds.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Everyone:

I've gotten a few PMs, but I have a lot of seed. I don't do a general giveaway unless there's a lot of seed to give.

So, if you're "on the fence" send me a PM and the Seed GenieTM will grant your weesh', sire . . . .

Ask and ye shall receive.

Keep the requests coming.

Seeds are terrible things to waste.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Keep the requests coming.

Seeds are terrible things to waste.

So true DD!!!!

• Upvote 2

It's been a week, and there's been interest!

Good!

There's plenty more seed still left.

I'm going to wait about another week before sending seeds out all at once.

So, send me a PM, "Dypsis plumosa seed" and your full mailing address and you will get some seed, unless you're on Antarctica.

PM sent. Really looking forward to these seeds. Dypsis plumosa will be a perfect addition to my landscape. I love the bamboo like rings on the trunk and the whiteish crownshaft. Despise being an idea climate I've never seen any here in Central Florida. Are they more common in California? Either way Dypsis plumosa will be a cool unusual palm, yet one that won't look out of place. The fine leaves on these beauties will perfectly accent the Queens, Majesty's, and Christmas palms I have.

I hear from rare-seeds.com that these are an easy species to germinate. That's a big bonus to a novice like me who's never grown anything in his life (currently having my first go with Dave's Trithrinax seeds).  Plus I'm running out of room so a short pencil thin tree is just what the doctor (er, gardener?) ordered. Thanks again DoomsDave for the seeds. ^_^ Be sure to tell your friend how much we appreciate these seeds, and that they won't be wasted. 

Edited by ThePalmNovice
  • Upvote 1

Oh yes, there are more.

Ask away!

More more more

How do you like it, how do you like?

Send your address

If  you'd like some . . . (seed)!

30 minutes ago, ncpalmtree1 said:

It would be awesome if these would grow outdoors in zone 7 in NC

They might still be a good houseplant, though they'll need a lot of light.

There's still plenty left. Send me a PM with "Dypsis plumosa" and your full mailing address and the Seed Genie will grant your wish.

Ask and you shall receive

plenty of seeds still

• Upvote 1

32 envelopes mailed today

(No one got the shoes. Lucky you.)

IMG_2119.thumb.JPG.9811880e091a4e930eab5IMG_2120.thumb.JPG.057158efbd459ae5c0841

• Upvote 5

These seeds were NOT cleaned. They're butt ugly but they'll grow into beautiful plants.

just soak em for a day or two and plant in 6" 15,cm potting soil half an inch 1 cm to cover and wait.

IMG_2118.thumb.JPG.b106eda3ecd195bea4a79

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much Dave for seeds. This is my mini-greenhouse: ^_^ I hope, that I will sprout. Silence yet. I have 20 Celsius in my room and 60% level of humidity air.

EXGtcCy.jpg

Edited by Ilovepalm
  • Upvote 2

Hello Again Dave, I sent you a PM earlier about another batch. I wonder if I can have some these to try. If you are still sending out more. Thanks

• Upvote 2

Everyone:

I still have plenty of seeds left.

If you want some and haven't already gotten some, ask.

The seeds arrived in Germany after only 4 days. Never before seen a postal service work that quickly!

Thank you very much, Dave!

• Upvote 1

Frank

Hi Dave,

seeds arrived here today as well. They are already swimming...

Eckhard

scream

Hi Dave,

no need to scream, now they are diving (all down to the bottom of the bag) :D

Eckhard

Seeds arrived and soaking!

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

6 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Seeds arrived and soaking!

Just say "eh?" all the time and they'll think they're in Canada . . . :)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mksmth said:

got mine Saturday.  Thanks Dave!

soaked for a day and now planted in the greenhouse waiting.

D plumosa seeds.jpeg

Plant all of them.

THey're not cleaned, so some will float from the dried fruit on the outside.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Plant all of them.

THey're not cleaned, so some will float from the dried fruit on the outside.

i did.  soaked, cleaned then planted. 

thanks again!

Mike

3 minutes ago, mksmth said:

i did.  soaked, cleaned then planted. 

thanks again!

Mike

You're welcome!

I'll be curious to see how they do indoors, long-term.

5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

You're welcome!

I'll be curious to see how they do indoors, long-term.

Im building a new 20-24' long greenhouse.  roof probably around 9-10 feet.  They will only be in there for 3-4 months.  I think they will do great.  

34 minutes ago, mksmth said:

Im building a new 20-24' long greenhouse.  roof probably around 9-10 feet.  They will only be in there for 3-4 months.  I think they will do great.  

Do keep us posted!

Should we aim for 1 per pot, or can we double or triple these up?  (assuming they hatch)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

4 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Should we aim for 1 per pot, or can we double or triple these up?  (assuming they hatch)

You can double and triple them, but they don't lean. I recommend one to a pot, once they grow. The babies move from community pots relatively easily.

• Upvote 1

AND

There's more send me a pm put on your dancing shoes . . . .

Hello Dave,

I just wanted you to know that the seeds arrived today and are having a warm bath. thanks " o generous one " !