IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

need urgent comments - Pebbles around Dypsis decaryi

Mohsen

Hi All

We have done some landscaping and I was not home yesterday and today I noticed that the landscaper have pour pebbles all around my  Dypsis decaryi...

as the needed to level the Dypsis decaryi is buried  deep with pebbles touching the crown...

we had argument as I said this will hard the palm and he said no pebbles don't hold water in them so no issue unlike soil or mulch touching the palm...

Actually it looks nice  from the appearance but of course don't want to harm it in a long term ...

please let me have your comments : do I need to add a round edging so separate the pebbles from the Triangle palm or the landscaper is right and no issue with pebbles around even this depth?

IMG_9760.JPG

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

• Upvote 3

this will not injure your palm at all.

you are safe

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

this will not injure your palm at all.

you are safe

Thanks Josh

so the landscaper is right and pebbles are not like soil or mulch and won't cause rot ?

34 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Josh

so the landscaper is right and pebbles are not like soil or mulch and won't cause rot ?

that is correct

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

I prefer the look of mulch.

Steve, I prefer the look of mulch as well but I guess for this case, it's better than mulch as I guess mulch could stay wet and if touch the palms ( specially like this one without a trunk) would cause the rot ? also hopefully thick layer of pebbles would prevent weeds better than mulch?

I might keep it that way without getting a round cement edge , but then how should I give  fertilizer ?

I don't think mulch would cause rot unless it's piled up too high on the trunk. Both will prevent weeds. I like how mulch eventually breaks down and improves the soil. The pebbles might be a pain in the arse when planting additional palms and plants in the garden bed.

If you have overhead gumtrees the pebbles get covered in leaves and looks messy.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Palms4Steve said:

I don't think mulch would cause rot unless it's piled up too high on the trunk. Both will prevent weeds. I like how mulch eventually breaks down and improves the soil. The pebbles might be a pain in the arse when planting additional palms and plants in the garden bed.

If you have overhead gumtrees the pebbles get covered in leaves and looks messy.

Thanks Steve for the comment

in this case the pebbles piled up too high on the trunk and that's why I started this thread , it seems that unlike mulch , pebbles won't cause rot even if piled  and palm is buried deeply ... There is no room for any other plant there anyway ...

• Upvote 1

Mulch is better for the palm, if it's done right, here in FL, we shy away from stones because the sun in sop hot, plus it's just not as effecientn at breaking down the fert.  Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Mohsen, I think your palm will love that. They love heat, which those rocks will reflect. Looks nice, too!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree with Dave,  the pebbles will actually be better for this palm as it will create higher ambient heat.  I hope the landscaper put down landscaping fabric before he laid the rocks. 

• Upvote 1

LA | NY | OC

19 hours ago, OverGrown said:

I agree with Dave,  the pebbles will actually be better for this palm as it will create higher ambient heat.  I hope the landscaper put down landscaping fabric before he laid the rocks. 

I checked and tgey use black cover beneath the pebbles ...