IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What temp to bring indoors potted Trachycarpus fortunei

Allen

For a potted Trachy in a large plastic 28" pot (double wall with 1" air pocket),  around 1.5 feet of trunk what temp would you bring it indoors to prevent roots from damage? 

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

For a potted Trachy in a large plastic 28" pot (double wall with 1" air pocket),  around 1.5 feet of trunk what temp would you bring it indoors to prevent roots from damage? 

How cold do you get there? I've seen potted T.fotunei take -10 celcius (14F) they could possibly take lower and I know of specimens that have taken -13 celcius (8.6F) and many reports of them taking colder. My tiny one which is in a pot has taken -4 celcius (24F) so far this winter and it was wet.

James

• Upvote 1

I've never known anyone bring a trachy indoors here and many are exposed to freezing wet. 

Hope the info helps a bit

Edited by Plantasexoticas

I guess I'm worried about the roots freezing because a pot will freeze solid well before the ground.  It rarely gets under 14F but we have a lot of nights in 20's (F) (-7c)

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

26 minutes ago, Allen said:

I guess I'm worried about the roots freezing because a pot will freeze solid well before the ground.  It rarely gets under 14F but we have a lot of nights in 20's (F) (-7c)

I think the fact your pot is double layered will help and you could always wrap the the pot and plant in fleece if you need to. Personally I've owned lots of trachycarpus and know lots of people who have them in pots and in the ground. If they were my own I wouldn't be concerned about bringing them in, even at -7C. If you are concerned you can bring them in during sub zero nights. To add, a nursery I go to has had on/off weeks of below 0C including down to -8C and they have around 50 or more potted T.fortunei outside and they were not brought inside. 

A neighbour has trachycarpus, Chamaerops and cycas revolta in pots and she would of had at least -5 where she is and they are never brought inside - just a fleece covering on the coldest nights and tied up fronds. 

Thanks guys!!!  I'm a noobie

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

Thanks guys!!!  I'm a noobie

You are welcome. If it makes you feel better you can wrap some horticultural fleece around it and the pot on frosty nights - just unwrap it when it's above freezing. :)

I would recommend to wrap some bubble wrap around the pot and place the pot on a piece of styrofoam.  Styrofoam does not conduct heat and protects the pot from freezing to the ground. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

I would recommend to wrap some bubble wrap around the pot and place the pot on a piece of styrofoam.  Styrofoam does not conduct heat and protects the pot from freezing to the ground. 

Great tip 

Thanks so much for giving me some great tips!   I'm sure I'll be back  I have 5 Trachy and 3 Sabal Minor now.

• Upvote 1

I have a few in pots that are around 5 years old.  I put them in the garage when the temps get towards the lower 20's (Fahrenheit) or if its going to snow.  Although they have been out in the snow but only when its warm and I know the snow will melt during the day.  They could probably stay out in lower temperatures but i'd rather not take the change of loosing foliage and its not a big deal to wheel them inside.  Sometimes they have stayed inside the garage for a month or so with little light but I try to leave them outside as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

@Allen - I live in zone 6b, central Pennsylvania and grow Trachycarpus fortunei, Trachycarpus princeps, Trachycarpus takil, and Trachycarpus fortunei x wagnerianus, all in pots. 

My oldest Trachycarpus fortunei I bought six years ago and it has seen 16 degrees F in its med/large pot with no issues.  

My Trachycarpus takil is on the smaller side and has seen 17.7 F in its medium sized pot with no issues.

My young Trachycarpus princeps saw 19 F in its pot and had minor spear pull, but recovered quickly.

To date, I have brought these palms into an illuminated, unheated garage when temps drop below these.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to these and accidentally exposed various trachys and S. minor still in nursery sleeves to lower temperatures than intended.  A month ago they survived a 10 degree (-12C) night with no damage.  I kept them outdoors as long as daytime temperatures are not much below freezing and night not below 20.  Indoors now of course.  In unprotected 2" to 3" wide sleeves, the roots have obviously been cold and the plants show no damage.  Not a recommendation on how to care for these, but shows they are tough little buggers.

• Upvote 2