NorthFlpalmguy

Various Sabal seeds

NorthFlpalmguy

I have various fresh Sabal seeds (martima, causiarum, bermudana, mauritiiformis, riverside) with surpluses in the hundreds each if you are looking to trade. I prefer cold hardy (9A) species to trade. Will consider selling some as well.

Ben in Norcal
3 minutes ago, NorthFlpalmguy said:

I have various fresh Sabal seeds (martima, causiarum, bermudana, mauritiiformis, riverside) with surpluses in the hundreds each if you are looking to trade. I prefer cold hardy (9A) species to trade. Will consider selling some as well.

I have a bunch of stuff, but not a lot 9a hardy.  Let me know if you are interested in Brahea Super Silver, Brachychiton rupestris, Sabal minor or palmetto.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I began germinating palm seeds in 2008 and started with various species of species of Sabals because they are easy for palm beginners. In 2009 I planted a variety of Sabal seedlings at the edge of the vacant lot to the east of ours to block the view of an abandoned house nearby (it was the height of the Great Recession and many homes in Cape Coral were abandoned). Today I took the following photos of these 11-year-old plantings. Sabals causiarum, domingensis and maritima have grown to be massive palms and most have been flowering for years. At one time I had each of them tagged but those tags are long lost so telling the large Sabals apart is difficult. Sabal palmetto is the smallest  trunking Sabal and the specimens on Sabal Row look almost dwarfish compared to their massive cousins. None of the palmettos have flowered yet.
      Sabal Row, May 2019, Cape Coral, FL

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Among the very large Sabals inhabiting Sabal Row on the east side of the yard is one that outshines the rest. Even though it is several years younger than the original inhabitants but is just as tall and big around, with the largest leaves. It carries these leaves on massive, upright green petioles. Its stem has long papery ligules unlike any of the other Sabals. My husband is no Sabal afficionado but he really likes this palm. I grew it from seeds I obtained as "Sabal mauritiiformis" way back around 2009/10 but two visiting PTers whose opinions I highly value have told me it is not that species. But no one has been able  to confirm what species it is. Can someone here tell me?
      I took the following photos this evening and I can take more tomorrow when lighting is better. It is hard to encompass the full scope of this Sabal
      Photo #1) Trunk with my husband for scale

Photos #2) Ligules on trunk

Photo #3) Width of petiole with my hand for scale

Photos #4-6) Views of fronds

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Welp it’s that time of the year. Spring has sprung and it’s time to plant. I will show you guys what I have planted. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I have these Sabal minor, and this weekend is going to be in the 70s and not get too cold, even at night. But over the week the highs are in the mid to high 50s and the lowest low is 30 (one night). Would I be rushing these or do you think they world be ok to be planted now? Would they be able to handle a frost freshly planted? 

• Ben OK
      By Ben OK
      I thought this was a pretty good testament to the difference in hardiness between sabal palmetto and  birmingham sabals. I don't think we got below 10F to 12F at my house this winter, though we did have a spell or two where we went between 2 to 3 days without getting above freezing. We had a few small snow events, none more than about 1.5" at a time. The birmingham is in the SW corner of an L-shaped bed on the south and west sides of my garage. Both are shielded from north winds by the house.  
      Here is the difference between the two at my house given the above winter conditions: