IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whats going on trachycarpus fortunei

Latinmtl67

Hi guys, im very sad tonight

i dont know whats going on with my trachycarpus fortunei

3-4 days ago i noticed the soil dry so i put it in the bath and turn on the shower to water it... and let the water drained for 1 hours before putting it back to the leaving room..

and today i found it like this! 

What could it be? 

The heating in the living room? 

Water damage? 

Im very worried 

i cut the leafs and left the middle ine there since its not fully out and its still solid so far 

IMG_8766.thumb.JPG.0eac7a1b4cdd07c44f8b8

IMG_8760.JPG

• Upvote 1

What is the soil composition?

What was its water schedule prior to going dry?

What temperature was the shower water? 

The answers to these three questions will be helpful with diagnosis. I am assuming it had already been acclimated to its position and not recently moved aside from the shower.

On 2/6/2017, 9:22:05, knell said:

What is the soil composition?

What was its water schedule prior to going dry?

What temperature was the shower water? 

The answers to these three questions will be helpful with diagnosis. I am assuming it had already been acclimated to its position and not recently moved aside from the shower.

All of these answers are important.  The pics are helpful as well.    You say it did not get like this until after the watering.  One thing that I always have thought was a no no was any sort of tap water in the crown.   IF you put it under the shower water def got in there.  Tap water is vastly different than rain water unless you have an RO unit or something else to remove all fo the salts / impurities. 

Another thing that I noticed in your photos there appears to be some whitish almost fuzzy looking things on your palm in spots.  Not being able to see it clearly or be there I can only guess what it could be.  Dried salt stains or possibly mealy bugs.  Hard to tell without very clear photos of it.  

The more info you can give us the better we might be at figuring out what is going wrong with it.