IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Planting my parents backyard

blue240z

Hello everyone, I've been looking around the forum and enjoying everyone's garden so I figured it was about time to post up my own even if it is only months old and pales in comparison to most here! We are located in San Diego about 8 miles up the coast on top of a hill so freezing temps are rare and with clay soil, hopefully it turns out to be a good spot for growing my garden. All of the palm people that I have met have been more than generous with their time, knowledge, and plants so thanks to everyone for that! I do not yet have any good pictures of my own garden but here are some palm related pictures to introduce myself...

• Upvote 4

Brendan,

Welcome to Palmtalk.  Nice photos.  There are some very experienced California palm growers here on this site that can probably give you all sorts of advice on what to plant in your yard.  Since you are in the San Diego area on a hill with no freezing weather, I would say try planting a coconut palm on the south side of your house and add to the growing collection of California coconut palms.  Just don't water it too much in the cool damp winters

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to the forum! 

There truly is a lot of people especially down your way that have some amazing gardens. Sounds like you are in a perfect area for Southern California too! Just a list a few that will grow well in your area. Chambeyronia also known own as the Flame Thrower, Kentiopsis olivaformis, Beccariophoenix alfredii, Bizmarkia, any form of King palm, and well the lost goes on. Also there's so many gardens to visit.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to PalmTalk!!

What are you planning on planting?

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The software is being very picky with which photos will upload and when...The collection so far includes acathophoenix rubra, archontophoenix myolensis and purpurea, chamadorea microspadix and stolonifera, pritchardia schattaueri, a couple chambeyronias, and a dypsis leptocheilos. More photos soon!

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

• Upvote 4

Brendan:

Nice to meet you!

You have come to the right place.

We'll never say your palms are ugly, though I suspect you never listened anyway . . . .

More pictures!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This chambeyronia has a lot of color, should turn out pretty awesome...forgetting which dypsis next to it

IMG_7403.JPG

IMG_7404.JPG

• Upvote 4

bigger hookeri and a little trunk on the king next door.Small chamedorea radicalis hard to see with weeds of identical color around it. That's about up to speed, as you can see I'm a visuals type of person

Brendan

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

• Upvote 5

As the others have already said welcome to palm talk! It's always a pleasure to see new people getting started with palm trees. You'll find each garden on here is unique and the users are from all different levels of experience. Don't worry, not every yard has to be overflowing with rare super-tropical palm trees to look great. The pictures you've shown already are fantastic! As you can probably guess from my username I'm in about the same boat as you, just getting started with growing a palm trees. You seem to be off to better start however.

Those are a huge variety of species, a few of which I've yet to familiarize myself with. Of those I do know I can assure you you've picked out some good ones. Have fun watching them grow over the years, and be sure to keep track of these pics to look back on! 

Edited by ThePalmNovice

Well it looks like you're off to a great start already! Nice to see everything is getting planted too. Soon they will spread the roots and beef up.

Thanks everyone! Topwater I believe it is. There's a couple huge clumps at Balboa Park in San Diego near the greenhouse

• 1 month later...

These past couple weeks my collection has grown rather quickly from generous donations and local buys and from a large batch of palms from floribunda, thanks to Bret, Joe Palma, and Jeff Marcus! My favorites today are laccospadix australasicus, dypsis rosea, and lanonia dasynthia...

IMG_7461.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

• Upvote 4

Great pictures Brendan! I hope you don't mind if I Pandofied™ these two exceptional images, just a little:  ;)

ekiye3o.jpg

Gyi9OLf.jpg

• Upvote 4

pant pant pant

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wait a bit and you can have plants like these:

IMG_1983.thumb.JPG.1bd75c4211dea3c178112IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.6d5c6632c9dff88779251IMG_2068.thumb.JPG.1090c573982f8a20f332f

• Upvote 5

In a few decades you can get a garden like this

IMG_2138.thumb.JPG.f2e4b60e6d9e0937f4d31

• Upvote 7

Pando , those edits look great I need to get lightroom for my computer. Would you mind sending me the files? I'm thinking a 20x30 of that bottom one would look great on my wall...Dave, one can dream!

Brandon, for those two images above I wasn't using Lightroom. I just increased shadow detail slightly with windows photo editor and posted them here. Great shots though.

• Upvote 1

Brendon and Pando,

Those two photos are really inspiring. Makes me want to drag out the real camera when I get back to my garden. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update with Euterpe Edulis, Chamaedorea woodsoniana, Roystonea Regia, Lutescens (golden form),and Cyphophoenix Nucele. Can anyone ID the Caryota? There's a couple shots of the key parts including the waxy leaf bases. That sharpie mark shows about 10 inches in 2 weeks, pretty quick especially considering how much mass there is to the spear.

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

IMG_7474.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Update on the yard- some things died and others are growing quite quickly. Hopefully everything makes it through the winder unscathed! 

IMG_8350.JPG

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8354.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

• Upvote 2

Several new areas of the yard have been planted out recently and also one very large tree in our yard has fallen down and taken out of the fronds of my unidentified caryota. My dogs have developed a taste for palms trees , particularly the rare and slow growing varieties! So all of my plants are now fenced off and the ones that are, mostly are spiky and unappetizing. Many of my palms were eaten down to the spike and slowed significantly. A few of the new and recovering plants- mini banana, fruiting chamaedorea, microspadix recovering, a reddish sugarcane, a very sad caryota, and the ever growing nursery area.

IMG_8370.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8380.JPG

IMG_8381.JPG

IMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8372.JPG

IMG_8376.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

IMG_8379.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I figured it might be a good time for a little update since things are looking semi pulled together, a few lost here and there but mostly everything growing.This Parajubaea was just dug from another garden (pot planted 15g) and it the spear was marked and hasn’t moved. Fingers crossed it doesn’t die! 

9B338D9C-56CC-47C5-AA21-EE441D654E98.jpeg