IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

fastest growing palm

Plantasexoticas

Thanks Kevin, wow! Beautiful picture above, I really like the group planting! Those must be some 12+ feet tall now?

Neophloga sp. pink crownshaft = Dypsis rosea. I also bought it as Neophloga sp pink cs. I need to get a few more of those, it seems to like my climate also...

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Great photos Kevin and Pando.  I have a small Neophloga that I am going to put in the ground later this year. 

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Jeff_Cabinda said:

My 30 month elaeis guineensis

20170926_125027.jpg

From seed? If so thats really getting with the program.

I grew a few veitchia joannis this year just for fun and they are way faster than washingtonia at the seedling stage. 

Here our fastest grower was definitely Pigafetta filaris and by far the fastest grower of them was on a steep slope in full sun and more than 7 meters in 1 year was measured a few years back.

Now they are all gone thanks to TC Winston last year. Roystonea regia would be second and they all survived the cyclone as did the Carpies that would be third fastest. Chambeyronia are slow here. A lot depends on the location though.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

On 2/2/2017, 7:32:50, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

For me personally in coastal 10a/10b central Florida with supplemental irrigation and full sun the fastest in order:

1) Cocos nucifera 2) Archontophoenix tuckeri, 3) Roystonea regia , 4) Veitchia sp., 5) Dypsis pembana

Agree on the cocos nucifera.  Way faster than any palm around here: washies, queens etc.

13 months of growth

20170927_211117.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

So far only freestanding palms were discussed. Some rattans are much faster, growing several meters per year. Calamus manan, for example, grows over 7 meters annually under ideal conditions. Probably the fastest measured palm.

On Wed Sep 27 2017 01:28:23 GMT+0100, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

From seed? If so thats really getting with the program.

I grew a few veitchia joannis this year just for fun and they are way faster than washingtonia at the seedling stage. 

From seeds indeed. I bought a full bucket of nuts in the market digged a hole and dropped everything down. I just kept the biggest. Elaeis is very fast in tropical climate.