IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lets see your

Ken Johnson

Bump !

Where are these darlings ?

These are special palms...I'll have to take a few pictures of my small pruniferas this weekend.

Let's wait for a few pictures from Jeff Wilson, cfkingfish and John Bischock...and of course Ken...

Here's a picture from Montgomery's collection:

post-157-1153919823_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

I second that motion; Copernicias are awesome and I'm surprised that no one else has posted images that we all can lust over. I know some fellow Floridians are growing some nice examples, too bad none of mine are large enough to show off.

Minneola, Florida

I was thinking that many of you may not be able to grow Copernicia. It does seem to like the Carib climate. I have seen the ones in Thialand but as far as other areas of the world I have seen only a few. Bo?

Here is a Bailyana that still shows hurricane damage but it is the biggest one I have in my nursery.

post-50-1153921831_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I have a nice little Copernicia prunifera I bought at HD last year for $4.99.  Was looking very good till my son beat it up with the weed wacker while trimming around it. Think I'll wait till it recovers before posting any pictures of it.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Gileno,

That looks like a Coccothrinax borhidiana.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

BTW the evolution of Copernicia is interesting. Those of you that grow any of the three from South America have the relitives of the "original", and ancient, copernicia. The only other place to find them is two islands that are very far from South America but have remnant plants that they took with them when they split off the continent! The Cuban specie (plural) are the ones I like the best but the "carnuba" from S.A. is way cool too. The Hispanola palms are not as interesting except for the Echman (what do they call it?)

Here is a picture of my favorite. Copernicia hospita!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-50-1153927825_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hi Guys

Yeah, I love these too.

Here are some C.prunifera growing in our local Bot gardens.

Cheers

Dennis

post-35-1153929016_thumb.jpg

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dear Ken Johnson,

Even iam a lover of the copernicia Hospita Sp,since i always loved plams which do not have regular green colour, are all my favouriates.

Such as Blue hasper palm,Med fan palm(vari),red latan palm etc.If you have more pictures of C.hospita kindly share with us.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Copernicias do very well here in Hawaii but are predictably slow. Here's a C. hospita, about 7 ft tall.

post-22-1153933375_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Bo Goran,

I have a question to ask about your C.hospita,are there 2 forms(colors) since all the sites where i have seen c.hospita are mild blueish silver colored leaves similar to blue hasper or some Biz(silver form).

how come your palm appears so green,is it due to your climate ?

kindly explain this.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Actually, it's not as green as it appears to be in this photo. Could be because of the strong sunlight when the photo was taken. Here's another (night time) photo of the very same palm, back in May 2006. The silvery look is more obvious here.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1154072720_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here's Copernicia ekmanii from Haiti. These leave the hospita in the dust as far as growth rates.

1-9-2006-17.jpg

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Thank you ken,Bo Goran & Caribbean palms,

your pictures are terrefic.

Bo thanks for the quick reply to clear my doubt.

And now to you Caribbean Palms your picture was superb, i have not seen anything like that.here in India we call such bleech colored plants as the albino type.

U guys have never failed to impress me or our forum members_my heart felt thanks to you guys.there is full of surprises on palm trees going on daily in our forum. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a pic of my Copernicia fallaense which is approaching a height of about 3m (10') . . .

post-90-1154121079_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

A group of Copernicia alba.

Al, that's a splendid palm!

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

A young C.alba which is much bigger now and really silver. This is a really fast grower for a Copernicia.

IMG_0289.jpg

David

It said my post didnt go though so I sent it again and got multiple posts of the same thing.

David

Here's a Copernicia (I think baileyana) at Mt. Cootha BG's in Brisbane.

100_0396.jpg

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Dear Al,Norm,DavidL,Tim Brissy,

Thanks for those Lovely pictures,At times i used to think wheather our forum has become a national Geographic Channel or what.  :)

So much of palms & plants i have never encountered them in my entire life...

I always make it a point to speak out my opnions to you guys,just make shure that you know that our member are seeing your pictures.but some do not have time to write the post.

so on behalf of all those busy people of our forum i wish to thank you for the strain you guys take in uploading & even identifying plants to us.

A big thank you to all active members !  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif