IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fast growing Monkeypod-how to prune/train

Patrick

Hello all,

I wanted to ask for some advice on how to continue growing a monkeypod that I planted a couple years ago in our Leilani estates Property. We wanted to get some foundation plants going so that they would be larger once we "jump ship" and move over there/ build.

The concern for me with this monkeypod is that the central stem is growing really fast and bending over, and I fear that I will wind up with a tree that has very little actual trunk before it umbrellas out. Any thoughts on how I could continue on with this thing? You will see that I have it tied up with a rope about 5' up but of course it continues to grow up and bend over. I know Leilani's ideal climate is a contributor to its speedy growth. Perhaps I am trying too hard? I was thinking to tie it up a bit higher this visit...

Thankyou for the insight I know there is a wealth of knowledge here and perhaps some people could share their experience.

The main stem in the picture is probably 12' overall, mabe longer, if you were to make it vertical. Thanks

tmp_29409-20170111_174907_resized-622141624.jpg

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I'd be inclined to prune it above the crotch, close to one the small outward growing branches.  You want to prune close to branches -- so that they take over.  crown-reduction.jpg

You don't want a dead spot in the end of the branch with weak growth around the edges like the picture below.

topping.jpg

I would cut off the lateral branch forcing the tree to keep growing vertical before it branches out? I do this with some acacia's and sausage trees at my Vista garden. Works like a champ.

I fear if you gut the dominate leader trunk off it will pup around the cut making it branch out prematurely give you a lower canopy.

My method works on the species mentioned above but I'm not sure about a monkey pod tree. Looking at pictures on the net they seem to branch out low anyways.

good luck !!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

You could probably prune the branch just above where you want a new leader.  It is not to thick.  You might get a really stout, long bamboo and straighten out the offending bend.  You can sometimes temporarily girdle the stem by twisting a wire around it.  After a while, it should sprout some growth under the girdle.  Choose one of the new sprouts to be the new leader.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Is this tree overtopped by trees (to its left in the photo)? If so, it will continue to grow at an angle towards the most available light. If not, use long bamboo stakes to tie it up vertically for awhile. Bamboo is nonpariel for a staking material.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"