PalmTreeDude

AAAA - Virginia Palm Freeze Damage Data

PalmTreeDude

A few of my palms did have some damage,  one Butia had a lot of browning (it was covered with a bucket), another Butia had tip browning (it was covered in a large pot), and my Mediterranean Fan Palm had a lot of browning on random places (covered with a wooden structure and a tarp). My Needle Palm and Windmill Palm appear to be fine. The windmill had a tarp over it and many layers under and the needle had no protection. No heat was applied to any of these palms.

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

PalmTreeDude

We went down to 3 degrees F one night. 

• Upvote 2

newtopalmsMD

Derwood MD zone 7a.  we had 3 nights of lows at 5F, at least 1 of which had 20-30 mph winds

First pic is Sabal Minor - 8 or so inches of oak leaf and straw mulch.  Also a 4 foot high wind break with frost cloth (That fence is north of the plant also providing wind protection.)  Basically no damage and a spear developed (to the right of the yardstick)  First winter in the ground.

Second Pic Needle Palm. Same protection as sabal.  Main plant and two pups.  Main plant and one pup  unphased and sending up new spear.  Other Pup in front developed spear pull in November before any real cold weather.  Been fighting it with copper fungicide and hydrogen peroxide.  You can see dying fronds front left The frond in front with the blackish leaves was buried all winter beneath the mulch.  First winter in ground

Third Pic is trachy.  Some tip burn.  I covered with a cage and that blue tarp in background during the 3 cold nights and had xmas lights on the ground providing heat.  Second winter in ground

The last two are Chinese fan palms. tried to keep them in the garage (not heated but usually in the 40s) when outside temp got below 20ish, otherwise spent day in the Sun (southern exposure) There are some completely green fans most many have partially turned yellow.  I added grow lights in the garage in January.  This did not turn out so well, though do have some new spears  Planning to trim off dead materiel and leave all the green.

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Jhonny
      By Jhonny
      Hi guys, brand new to this site. I’ve been on here for quite some time as a reader but never posted before.
      I wanted to talk about Sabal Palmetto’s range possibly being officially extended to Virginia Beach. Usually the cut off is in North Carolina and naturally it is. But this past week I went down to VA Beach with the sole intention of finding as many volunteers as I could at the oceanfront, and let me tell you how shocked I was by the amount there was. First let me start off by saying I went on the 2 most rainiest days so unfortunately I was only able to cover 1/2 of the strip. And of that half I only covered the east side of Atlantic Ave. And of that east side I was only able to cover the street side, not the boardwalk at all. And after only covering that fraction of the strip, I found dozens, if not hundreds of Sabals growing at all stages. And not just Sabal, Pindos as well! 
      On every block there was at least a few barely beginning to sprout, but there were definitely some a few years and older. The biggest one I found was at the Capes Resort which easily was 12-15 feet tall, the trunk starting to rise. There were several around the height of stop signs and most were to my hips and lower. There were a few that were growing nearly at the boardwalk, the limit before you get to the sand. I would say half of these things were growing in bushes, or under trees, or in other protected areas. But there was a good chunk growing out in the open, exposed to all elements. 
      Having resisted multiple winters and continuing to grow (most showed little to no damage), I have no doubt they will grow to be some of the hardiest Sabals in existence. The offsprings of these strands will only get hardier and adapt better to the climate so I 100% believe Sabal is permanently here to stay. I know that most of these trees have come from Florida or other nurseries much further south and this isn’t an extension of range occurring naturally from its NC counterparts. But I think the range for this tree has officially crossed the state line. 
      I’m planning to take another trip next month to finish the other half of the beach where I know there are just as many growing. What do you guys think of these Virginian palmettos?

• BamaPalmer
      By BamaPalmer
      It looks as though nature (or Divine Providence) is sparing the Miami-Lauderdale, FL area "Is-Aye-Ee-Ahs"  That is a nice way to begin August!  I guess that this is a temporary "reprieve" though as the next 60-70 days are a virtual shooting gallery in the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico!
      I wish all our palm-loving, palm nurturing & growing members the very best of wishes (and freedom from bad storms) during this stressful season ahead.
      It kind of makes up a portion of my mind that asks itself: "what do I most fear as a threat to keeping my palmy landscape intact?"  Is in tropical cyclone season, or is it winter with it's potentially fatal, or at least damaging freeze/frost events?  I tend to lean towards fearing winter's cold more, because it seems more likely to get a bad cold spell than a hurricane.  What do you all think?  Which type of weather peril brings more shivers down your spine: cold waves or really bad storms?  
      Regards, Andy.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I received some Chamaedorea radicalis seeds about one week ago, and have had them soaking in water since (changing water out, of course). I’m about to sow them but I noticed there is a thin looking layer of shell or something around the actual seed, should I try to peel that off or is it fine if it stays on? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I just bought my first Dypsis lutescens (clump) at a local nursery to use as a potted plant. What are some things I should know about these? How fast do these grow? I saw some big ones in the nursery that had full sized trunks. Would it be possible to separate some of the smaller ones from the edge of the clump without hurting the others?