IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

For the entire time I have lived here, we have never seen (or I have never seen) a 7a winter, until now. We went down to 5 degrees a few times, but that was it. 

PalmTreeDude

Did you know it was coming, with a decent weather forecast? Nasty cold like that is even worse if you can't prepare.

Cheers, Barrie.

1 minute ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Did you know it was coming, with a decent weather forecast? Nasty cold like that is even worse if you can't prepare.

Cheers, Barrie.

I knew of it three days before it came. But I didn't think it would get as low as it did. We went to 3 degrees F last night. :(

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Just now, Las Palmas Norte said:

Yikes !!! :o ... warm up soon brother.

Cheers, Barrie.

It is suppose to get to 67 soon. I think Friday.

PalmTreeDude

About thirty-five years ago it got down to -7F on Christmas Day at our house in S. Alexandria. I wouldn't let my kids go outdoors to visit their friends across the street. All our windows froze on the insides from the cold meeting indoor humidity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

37 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

About thirty-five years ago it got down to -7F on Christmas Day at our house in S. Alexandria. I wouldn't let my kids go outdoors to visit their friends across the street. All our windows froze on the insides from the cold meeting indoor humidity.

Now that is chilly!

PalmTreeDude

7 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I knew of it three days before it came. But I didn't think it would get as low as it did. We went to 3 degrees F last night. :(

Still planting that Washintonia in the ground come spring? lol

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Still planting that Washintonia in the ground come spring? lol

Probably.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

A one off temperature does not change your hardiness zone, as it is worked out from the average of the annual absolute minimum temperatures recorded over a 30 year period (current period used 1981-2010).

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

On 1/9/2017, 10:41:46, PalmTreeDude said:

For the entire time I have lived here, we have never seen (or I have never seen) a 7a winter, until now. We went down to 5 degrees a few times, but that was it. 

Like SouthSeaNate wrote, that <5F low isn't out of line for USDA 7b, nor does it make you 7a now. A true z 7a location has other cold events z 7b probably won't get. A zone takes 30 years as the USDA states on their website (http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/About.aspx).

The USDA zone system is climate, so I don't think one can have a "zone -- winter"; one can only have a "zone -- climate".

I lived on the foothill edge of Albuquerque my last 15 years there, also z 7b - an average winter low of +5 to +10F. 15 years is a short time, but Feb.2011 hit -11F (an all-time record or near it), 2 other winters had 0-2F lows, and my other 12 winters had 12-15F lows. Average or mean = 9F, so that's z 7b for my too-short 15 year period. I'm confident given previous decades' lows were cooler, the mean annual low for a 30 year period would be 6-7F, so still z 7b. The median for my 15 years was 12F.

Someone told me I had a zone 5b winter all because 1 of 15 winters saw -11F! As I went to HS in Denver (z 5b or 6a), I can assure you they and other similar zoned towns like Omaha, Kansas City, or Idaho Falls have more hard freezes, highs <32F, snow, ice, or anything "winter" my 2011 winter didn't come close to.

I think you'll be fine and learn more than had you stuck to the usual plants in your area!

Edited by Desert DAC
  • Upvote 2

On 1/9/2017, 5:20:48, PalmTreeDude said:

Maybe someday.

Oh you will.   Ive been saying Im going to for a decade, and I am finally placing things in motion to make that happen.  

• Upvote 1