IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

butia x polyandrococos

corsafafa

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small one. Too young still to tell what its ultimate habit will be. This is a picture of the entire plant. 

20170120_130628.thumb.jpg.2c0f9e44577101

This is the upper side of the leaves

20170120_130415.thumb.jpg.14659cd5e9b7ed

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 3

The underside of the leaves

20170120_130531.thumb.jpg.1aa2c006831b15

And a close-up of the petioles

20170120_130501.thumb.jpg.4795a36e3faf25

And for comparison, here it is next to a Butia x P. Sunkha (left side). The B x polyandrococos (a. caudescens) on the right is a darker shade of green. The leaves, even at this stage, are droopy as opposed to upright and almost wiry like the BxP. The B x polyandrococos (a. caudescens) also has a more delicate feel to it, the petioles snap and break pretty easily. 

20170120_130223.thumb.jpg.07e2868588170f

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for posting the comparison to the Butia (mutt) x Parajubaea sunkha. That's what I thought the first image was when I first saw it. Since I own 2 of the (B x Ps) hybrids that Patric(k) bred (one from '14 and one from '15).

Good luck with both of them!

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 58°, Lo 47° - showers

• Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Jealous...I still need to get mine from Patric!  Waiting for him to come down to the Bay Area.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Pictures of mine... from patric !!! he sell this palm for a butia x polyandrococo

What do you think? hybrid or not???

20161115_205008.jpg

20161115_205025.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jdiaz, your butia x sunkha is : butia odorata x sunkha or butia paraguayensis x sunkha ??? because patric has made this two hybrid...

I just potted up my two. They are not as big as Josh's but they are nice looking so no need for pics just yet. Will post updated pictures in a few months for growth comparison 

I'm really excited about the butia O. X para jubea sunkha PS made. I hope they will turn out to be fast growers like his butia O. X para jubea cocoides??

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I'm really excited about the butia O. X para jubea sunkha PS made. I hope they will turn out to be fast growers like his butia O. X para jubea cocoides??

I've got that big 5g BxPJS in the ground now...will let you know what growth rate is like this summer since mine is pretty good size...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

18 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I've got that big 5g BxPJS in the ground now...will let you know what growth rate is like this summer since mine is pretty good size...

Awesome!!

any pics?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

23 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Awesome!!

any pics?

I've posted this before, but here it is last summer (not going out in the torrential rain now!)

14264090_10153692051157234_5046492074634193321_n.jpg

• Upvote 5

Ben Rogers

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎06‎:‎08‎, Jdiaz31089 said:

Yeah! no problem @Tom in Tucson! the B x Polyandrococcus looks like it'll be a smaller palm than the B x Parajubaea. 

Just paid Patrick for 2 of these. Was wondering why you thought it would be smaller than x parajubaea (of which I have 4)? Just thinking about where to site the palm. I like the b x pjc. I have 2 in the ground that just went through two consecutive nights at 25 F without any damage. I am hoping the b x poly is hardy also and maybe have denser leaflets than the x pjc. What spread do you think the b x poly will have?

On 1/21/2017, 9:43:01, corsafafa said:

Jdiaz, your butia x sunkha is : butia odorata x sunkha or butia paraguayensis x sunkha ??? because patric has made this two hybrid...

I'm actually not sure. I just emailed him to see if he knows which species of butia was the parent. @Josh-O yours is Butia odorata x P. sunkha?

1 hour ago, Tropicdoc said:

Just paid Patrick for 2 of these. Was wondering why you thought it would be smaller than x parajubaea (of which I have 4)? Just thinking about where to site the palm. I like the b x pjc. I have 2 in the ground that just went through two consecutive nights at 25 F without any damage. I am hoping the b x poly is hardy also and maybe have denser leaflets than the x pjc. What spread do you think the b x poly will have?

My reasoning is based on the size of the seedlings I have. The x P. sunkha is just bigger. The petioles are thicker, the pseudostem is swollen and much larger than the x polyandrococos. It's also more upright and the leaves are thicker. They both seem to be of the same age too, so unless the x polyandrococos puts on some mass later on, it might end up smaller than the x P. sunkha. As far as spread goes, it's kind of up in the air. Both polyandrococos and P. suhnka have a spread of around 20 feet, so perhaps the spread will be about the same? Polyandrococos just has a thinner trunk and is reportedly taller in habitat so if those traits are expressive we might end up with a taller, thinner palm overall. Just a guess though! :)

B x sunkha on the left, B x polyandrococos on the right. 

588922bddc0ba_20170125_125318(1).thumb.j

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Mine after it's first winter. We never went below 31 degrees this winter so it wasn't much of a test. Still, it didn't seem bothered one bit. It's going into active growth now with lots of movement on the new spear.

20170410_180706.thumb.jpg.35918f2f23d683

20170410_180106.thumb.jpg.9828efe9a63bf4

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd post regular updates on this palm, seeing as to how this is a new hybrid in cultivation. Same palm, not missing a beat in dry, 100-degree (F) heat. 

20170620_181609.thumb.jpg.c269ea5832343d

20170615_124427.thumb.jpg.410d844b644574

• Upvote 4

Mine is starting to split leaves in mostly shade hot and humid lots of rain I'll get a pic soon

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2017, 2:49:37, Tropicdoc said:

Here you go

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

Mine's just barely catching up to yours. It'll be good to compare growth of this palm across climates as different as yours and mine - humid & hot vs dry & hot. 

Here's mine today.

20170829_065205.thumb.jpg.7e8b9228009105

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have thoughts on cold hardiness? I’ve heard the butia crosses with tropical syagrus are pretty tender 

This seems like it would be an interesting cross; can't wait till we can actually see something with these palms...

If it is a cross with a caudescens then hardiness wise they would be a weakling similar to a Coranata mule. 

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

If it is a cross with a caudescens then hardiness wise they would be a weakling similar to a Coranata mule. 

how is resistance of mule of coronata?

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Weak. And I bet this hybrid will be too. 25F or lower would kill it I bet. Cold hardiness is an important trait, but a beautiful hybrid is a beautiful hybrid. I hope it turns into something nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing Josue, I have one of those in pot and looks stocky same as yours. It has silverish back side of the leafs and I think with the time will be even stronger. :yay:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to plant mine deep in the jungle so if it dies in a cold spell, my landscape wont be messed up

• 4 weeks later...

I´m curious how this palm will look. I wanted the make this hybrid also but its difficult to find Polyandrococcos [Allagoptera] pollen

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

4 hours ago, Alberto said:

I´m curious how this palm will look. I wanted the make this hybrid also but its difficult to find Polyandrococcos [Allagoptera] pollen

What about areniara that will be interesting to 

• 1 month later...

Nice to see it growing. Patrick made and for sure still makes some really nice hybrids. Keep us updated on its growth

Would like to grow one or more hybrids too but its impossible to get seeds of any Cocoid hybrids.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 3 months later...