IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FREE Trithrinax acanthacoma/brasiliensis seeds

DoomsDave

6 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

My seeds unfortunately do not germinate :(

Keep waiting, they sometimes take a long while.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Glad to hear that. There's still nothing from my Trithrinax seeds. I was starting to worry I might have killed it. I've been keeping it warm in my back window seed tray, and giving it a spray of water everyday. I hope these seeds like that. I'll give it another 6 months to grow before I give up on them.   

3 hours ago, ThePalmNovice said:

Glad to hear that. There's still nothing from my Trithrinax seeds. I was starting to worry I might have killed it. I've been keeping it warm in my back window seed tray, and giving it a spray of water everyday. I hope these seeds like that. I'll give it another 6 months to grow before I give up on them.   

Don't give up till they rot. That sometimes takes a while.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, JimP said:

Happy for you but, very jealous! ;) 

If I sent you some, advice applies.

If not, send PM of address and I'll send you some. No charge.

Have had mine in a small Tupperware container in slightly damp peat with very slight bottom heat (on top of another container that is on a warming mat).  Noticed one root pooping above the surface, so I dug in.  Jackpot.  About 50% have started roots and got moved to the community pot today.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Have had mine in a small Tupperware container in slightly damp peat with very slight bottom heat (on top of another container that is on a warming mat).  Noticed one root pooping above the surface, so I dug in.  Jackpot.  About 50% have started roots and got moved to the community pot today.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

keep us apprized of their progress!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ivorhooper said:

Guys, I've just found my first sprout. Do these need a deep pot?

Just  a 1 lt cylindrical is fine

On 4/16/2017, 8:18:20, Ivorhooper said:

Guys, I've just found my first sprout. Do these need a deep pot?

Yes, I agree with Konstantin. They root deep from the very beginning.

If placed outside, try to keep off dirt, and put on concrete or "air prune" by placing on boards instead.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

If placed outside, try to keep off dirt, and put on concrete or "air prune" by placing on boards instead.

Hmmm, it seems they are very long.

Rio_Grande.gif

I am torn between giving up and preparing deep pots to receive sprouts...

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

2 minutes ago, Funkthulhu said:

I am torn between giving up and preparing deep pots to receive sprouts...

Hang on. . .    I don't even have any of these!  What am I thinking?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017, 1:37:26, DoomsDave said:

:bemused:

590fdff1220bf_2017-05-0722.59.42.thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

1 hour ago, foxtail said:

:bemused:

590fdff1220bf_2017-05-0722.59.42.thumb.j

I meant put the pots with the plants in them on concrete etc

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I meant put the pots with the plants in them on concrete etc

5 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Is this a deliberate planting or has the seedling lifted itself?

The seed lifted itself!!!!

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

On 4/20/2017, 7:06:35, Funkthulhu said:

Hang on. . .    I don't even have any of these!  What am I thinking?

Want some? PM if you do.

On 5/8/2017, 9:13:57, DoomsDave said:

Want some? PM if you do.

Well, then, I'm your huckleberry.  

PM sent

I love that movie Tombstone. Still holds up too--Kilmer's best work.

Mine are popping now--prolly have close to a dozen spikes in the com pot. Thanks Dave!!!!

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2017, 5:07:58, southpacific73 said:

Got one germinated!!:D

That was fast!

When did I send them to you?

Seeds were sent and received in January. So 4 months for the first to germinate. Hopefully the rest start to follow the leader lol.

• Upvote 1

First sprout in Dalmatia. Summer is coming, I hope it's not the last one :D

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2017, 10:24:36, dalmatiansoap said:

First sprout in Dalmatia. Summer is coming, I hope it's not the last one :D

Have a little Slivovitz . . .

URK

The first three seedlings are sending down a big root while two more are just starting to germinate (white tip emerging).

Thanks Dave for sending.

Eckhard

• Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

7 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

The first three seedlings are sending down a big root while two more are just starting to germinate (white tip emerging).

Thanks Dave for sending.

Eckhard

Sehr gut!

6 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

I received mine in March, still no germination :angry:

I planted a bunch at the same time, back in January, still no germination. I won't throw seeds away till they rot.

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I planted a bunch at the same time, back in January, still no germination. I won't throw seeds away till they rot.

Oh , that's for sure, they're to precious. They still look viable and healthy though.

I was going to come in and ask how long until these germinate...  I guess I need to be patient.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

short update. Now 8 little Trithrinax acanthacoma/brasiliensis have germinated in total. Today I transferred 5 new ones into a community pot. The curious situation is that I received two envelopes from Dave and all are out of the second one. Non of the first envelope germinated until now, under the same conditions like the eight others....

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

18 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi all,

short update. Now 8 little Trithrinax acanthacoma/brasiliensis have germinated in total. Today I transferred 5 new ones into a community pot. The curious situation is that I received two envelopes from Dave and all are out of the second one. Non of the first envelope germinated until now, under the same conditions like the eight others....

Eckhard

Thanks for the update.

Mine are still waiting, gestating . . . .

I was just about to give up on these by the end of the month and try new seeds. Then I checked and found my first ever palm sprout.  

SpinyFiberPalmSprout.thumb.jpg.01360b74a

So excited to see the seeds didn't go to waste. I'm going to be nurturing this sprout like its my baby now. :wub: Here's hoping I can get it growing healthy.  

• Upvote 1