DoomsDave

Archontophoenix maxima before and after

DoomsDave

Here's an Archie maxima in June of 2008, and today.

IMG_4069.JPG.57d46c369f81a312e14a5b4a0eaIMG_4070.JPG.630c98b349517e88a0707b02363

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.58260ca56011d769f6a6eIMG_1843.thumb.JPG.7883814906ebd3da6a340

• Upvote 10

DoomsDave

Some of you have gotten a few free seeds from the maxie pictured.

• Upvote 2

RedRabbit

It's amazing it could grow so fast in Ca where you get so little rain. 

• Upvote 1

Josh-O
1 minute ago, RedRabbit said:

it takes lots of irrigation for them to form that famous fatty trunk for us in California.

Nice palm Dave!!

DoomsDave
5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Where nature fails, man succeeds!

With water anyway.

Ladies, too  . . . .

• Upvote 5

Panamajack

Wow, beautiful, beautiful palm, Dave!

Briank

I like that species vs all your Tukeri. Just my taste.  Maxima & Beatrice my fav. 

Palm Tree Jim

Well done DD!

And i'm sure the plants are loving this rain we are getting.

Cikas

Beautiful palm!

Tropicgardener

Some great growth there....... I have planted a few in my seasonally boggy creek just on a year ago. They are certainly rockets when compared to our local form of alexandrae.

• Upvote 1

Dave-Vero

Mine, after a happy summer, is returning to slightly ratty leaves in fall.  It got doused with palm minerals last week.  

Xerarch

What a rocket! I would need a rather large greenhouse to attempt one here ha ha. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone know how far north a healthy king palm (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, or another species if you know about one up north) can be grown in California? I have seen videos of them in San Francisco and the general San Francisco Bay area, there was even a video of some on YouTube in Lafayette, California. Are there any north of these areas? How far up along the coastline can they go before they struggle? I never heard of an exact northern limit for these on the west coast, so this topic is interesting to me. I know California has a ton of microclimates due to the ocean and topography. 
    • Jillian
      By Jillian
      The branch’s pictured were over my head. I think it has several problems with the waves in the leaves, and some type of bug.  I recently sprayed it with Neem oil and Bio Bayer about 7 to 10 days ago and the new growth is already looking better. 

• Jillian
      By Jillian
      Please be gentle, it’s my first request, ha, ha. So a couple of years ago I found someone with a similar problem and they were told that “the white fuzz” on the guys king palm was normal. Well, mine isn’t white close up but it looked like it from the ground. Is this white flies, or mealy bugs?? Don’t suggest soapy water my tress are tall and I need to use a sprayer to take care of this. I’m sad and scared. Thank you. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I love Archontophoenix palms, and I am sure many of you do too. I couldn't find an Archontophoenix specific thread, so I thought I'd make one in hopes of people showing off their Archontophoenix palms, any species! Here is my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, which has been thriving for me indoors and outdoors (when its warm and sunny enough, like today). It's small, but is growing quickly. I am surprised at how much it seems to not care about being in cooler conditions. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have this artificial light that I bought for pepper plants (which basically didn't respond to it at all), but my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana seedling seems to like it. It has been growing quickly with it, for being indoors. It gives off a small amount of heat too, not much, maybe one or two degrees F, but I believe it helps a bit. I marked the spear with a Sharpe a couple days ago and it has been growing steadily.