IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CALIF or Bust!

NCpalmqueen

BS

Cool Beans!    :D

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Just got home from dinner and atour at Deans with Cindy and Keith. Great folks!  I'm glad my trip home is a lot shorter!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Zac,

You can make up for that once you get to Hawaii! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill

You CA palm peoples are the best.  That was an awesome restaurant...sorta of surreal.  Delicious.   Thank you for the great tour as well, Bill & Matt.  

Travel update:

I got to hug jubs to my heart's content today.   Speaking of surreal, the Mission jubs certainly are.  What a treasure.  BS--get me some BLUE seed this year., if you know what I mean.  

We also got to visit the famous San Diego Zoo today and it was everything I had imagined.  My first viewing of an actual Panda, chomping away on bamboo.  Of course, the palms and plants were awesome,too.

Holy moly, what a mountain climb up and then back down at night getting out of CA.  I think I'm glad it was dark outside as the deep dropoffs next to the road probably would have turned my hair even grayer!   As we approached the low desert, the temps rose.  We hit 90F at 1100 at night!  

So what's to do in Yuma, Az?  All I see are lights and flat land.  Why are all the hotels booked up?  And why is the border patrol all parked out front?  hmmmm

To be continued.

Only 2,300 miles to go.       <sigh>

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Cindy,

Glad you enjoyed your trip.  What route did you take to get here?  About 30 west of palm springs near Redlands  during the day you can see what seems to be thousands of tall mature W robustas along with some W filferas.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

It was great to meet you Cindy and Keith.  We had a peacefull afternoon tooling around Dean's place.  Cindy should change her name to NC_Jub_Queen!  Have a safe trip.

Keith, Cindy & BS around a Kentia.

post-126-1178813304_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

By the way...Dean's Ravenea glauca is not getting any smaller that's for sure! :P

post-126-1178813421_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(NCpalmqueen @ May 10 2007,02:27)

Bill

You CA palm peoples are the best.  That was an awesome restaurant...sorta of surreal.  Delicious.   Thank you for the great tour as well, Bill & Matt.  

Travel update:

I got to hug jubs to my heart's content today.   Speaking of surreal, the Mission jubs certainly are.  What a treasure.  BS--get me some BLUE seed this year., if you know what I mean.  

We also got to visit the famous San Diego Zoo today and it was everything I had imagined.  My first viewing of an actual Panda, chomping away on bamboo.  Of course, the palms and plants were awesome,too.

Holy moly, what a mountain climb up and then back down at night getting out of CA.  I think I'm glad it was dark outside as the deep dropoffs next to the road probably would have turned my hair even grayer!   As we approached the low desert, the temps rose.  We hit 90F at 1100 at night!  

So what's to do in Yuma, Az?  All I see are lights and flat land.  Why are all the hotels booked up?  And why is the border patrol all parked out front?  hmmmm

To be continued.

Only 2,300 miles to go.       <sigh>

they have animals at the zoo?i never noticed... :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

That's because when you're raised like you were it's hard to tell that you're any different than animals.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

thats so funny i forgot to laugh.

still "warning-free."

you talka lotta smack for someone who needs help moving this weekend...

still "warning-free."

I meant the other....it was another post that I was responding to...sorry for the confusion sir.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

thats better.

still "warning-free."

lol

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

See Paul?  THEY liked the Italian  restaraunt I wanted "the gang" to go to last time we were at JM, but no, namby pamby excuses were aflutter....   :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i only eat sushi & vietnamese ay present. :cool:

"italian" is neither of those 2.

still "warning-free."

"at present" I see...I guess we were lucky with your presens (sp) at the Peruvian place a while back.  :cool: :o

Yeah, thats them, I recognize the NC gang. Be safe on the way back C and K. I'm going to Big Bloomers on Saturday with mom to buy plants for her new place.

Paul, Matt and Bill- You guys crack me up

Bo- Yeah, I plan to make up the lost time in Hawaii. Its really back on the front burner now. It got moved to a back burner for a few months, but now its back in the plans. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

i would definitely do the peruvian place again.great food.

good recommendation.i am also up for dim sum.i guess i went too far in my estimate of what i will & wont eat. :D

still "warning-free."

travel log update:

============

Hmmm...my face plastered on the net.   hmmmm  

Today, we spent the mid morning and afternoon touring around Tucson with Mr. Tucson himself, Lee F.  Awesome city and U.A. campus!  The Brahea armata's we saw (pictures to come later) at the campus were bigger than any I've seen anywhere.   <Tucsons gotcha beat, Calif. peoples!>  We also walked a bit in the Saguaro Nat'l Park, sidestepping cactus.  Nope, didn't see a snake in sight.   Lee, if you're out there in Tucson cyberland, thanks for the great tour!  We made it to the nursery, and dang, somehow more plants jumped into the back seat of the truck, since there was no room in the cab.  

Pray that we do not get a flat tire...wouldn't be a pretty sight in the desert.

And Bill, that was the perfect evening at the Italian place to end our mini jaunt in California.  Thanks again.  

Tomorrow...big day headed to the big D.   We hope to get further than that, though.

The tops of my feet are sunburned...must remember lotion on the toes next time.  

Adios..

p.s.  Matt & Bill...we have a 3rd pronunciation of the word of the day "Sabal" by Tucson Lee.  Eastern, Western, and Desert dialects!   Is there a 4th?

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Checking in from Monroe, LA, to say 'hello'.  Too much driving; too little sleep.

Only saw a couple of washies  on the drive thru Texas.   :(

C from NC

Siler City, NC

We are home in sunny NC.  Only added 5500 miles to the odometer.  What a great country we live in.  From coast to coast, we met wonderful palm people.  

Now to get some rest.

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Post pictures!!! :)

Hooray!  Glad to see you made it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

hope you had a great trip!when do we get to see the pix of everything you bought?

i bet the gasoline cost a frond & a leg...

still "warning-free."

Yay. Lee is very nice too. I am trying to remember how he said Sabal. WE know how Gary Hollar says it, and I was with Richard and Lee and I think we all said it differently, if my memory is right.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

you say "sable",i say "sawball". :D

still "warning-free."

All you left coasters will recognize this.  This was one of my reasons for my whirlwind trip.

152625022-O.jpg

And y'all are tired of looking at this one, too, eh?

152629279-O.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

cool!!!

there was one at the bahia hotel tha had almost 70' of trunk that was apparently removed.i drove by one day & it was just "gone". ???

still "warning-free."

Show us your new stash of palms!  Glad you had a good trip.  The drive sounds exhausting, though!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim

I'm working on getting the bigger plants into the ground.  I should be able to get some photos this weekend.  Lots of work to prep areas for palms since I do all raised bed gardening.  I am off work this week, so I'm slowly getting things done.  More than half of the palms I purchased in CA are not big enough to go into the ground here.  We need to grow 'em big before they can face their first NC winter.

I am still trying to figure out what I need to wear to plant out a 10 gal sized Trithrinax campestris.  It is a lethal weapon and very heavy.   :(

C from NC

Siler City, NC