IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CALIF or Bust!

NCpalmqueen

Look out Southern California......You are about to be invaded by palm heads from the Right coast!   :P

Do all San Diego Palm Nurserys have "by appointment only" hours during the week?  What's up with that??

Can anyone recommend THE best nurserys to visit (not to be missed) in the S.D. area?  How far in advance does one need to make an appointment?

XMRadio weather for S.D. call for highs in the 60's.  That sounds really cold to me since it's been in the 80's & 90's here in the SE.  Should I be packing long sleeves and jeans instead of shorts & halters?    :)

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

kevin weaver's place is a must do if your buying and transporting back. kw's is in lake elsinore(?)

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

This week is chilly. Sweater weather on the coast and at night inland.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(palmotrafficante @ May 02 2007,21:23)

kevin weaver's place is a must do if your buying and transporting back. kw's is in lake elsinore(?)

Does Kevin have a nursery open to the public?  Website?  Directions?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

www.palms4u2.com

make an appointment, but it is worth it.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Have fun Cindy. Try Rancho Soledad, in between LA and SD. Its a great nursery and I know you'll be impressed. They have Agaves and palms and other things you'll be interested in. Are you going to pick up a larger Jub?

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Jungle Music in Encinitas just north of SD is a must stop as well and although I've never been there I've heard good things about JD Andersons also.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Cindy,

We are open to the public 3 days of the week no appointment nessesary every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 10 to 5. We would love to show you around.

Don, you should come and visit us sometime. A lot of new things are happening.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

(NCpalmqueen @ May 02 2007,18:21)

Look out Southern California......You are about to be invaded by palm heads from the Right coast!   :P

Do all San Diego Palm Nurserys have "by appointment only" hours during the week?  What's up with that??

Can anyone recommend THE best nurserys to visit (not to be missed) in the S.D. area?  How far in advance does one need to make an appointment?

XMRadio weather for S.D. call for highs in the 60's.  That sounds really cold to me since it's been in the 80's & 90's here in the SE.  Should I be packing long sleeves and jeans instead of shorts & halters?    :)

No one can afford a place out here only living on rare palm sales I suspect....

Kevin's usually there on weekdays after 4 pm If starting in SD, you need at LEAST 2 days to get to JM, Rncho Soledad, JDA's, Neoflora, some others,KW Palms..(Kevin Weavers), by then you will have left San Diego county!!  Tropical Vibe...

I'm sure you have alotted a hour for the "Jubea Grove" at Mission Bay in San Diego...The SD Zoo, Palm canyon, the Quail Gardens...  Again, THEN you leave SD county..  Have fun, SAY HI!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jerry,

I'd like to make a trip down there sometime in June.  I've heard that many of your plants are already sun ready which is always a good thing with our brutal summers

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I think you need at least two weeks to enjoy San Diego.  I spent four days palm shopping there in March and had very little free time for other persuits.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Thanks everyone for the hot tips!   Jerry--I think we can make it on Tuesday.  Bill & Palmo--Thanks for the inside scoop...will follow up.

Now, could y'all please get some heat turned on there ASAP?

We will squeeze in as many BG tours as we can, but seeing and touching giant JUBs is my No#1 reason for the visit!  As the ad goes:

Cost of a cross country trip:  Thousands!

Time spent in a truck:  Ohhh my achy back!

Touching a Giant Jubaea:   Priceless!

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Cindy...IMHO, the coolest Jub in San Diego is at Gary Woods garden in Fallbrook. A must see. Google 'south coast palms'...or 'plant signs'

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Cindy, May Gray and June Gloom say it all as far as SoCal weather.  It's usually overcast in the mornings and evenings w/ a burnoff during the midday.  Long sleeves is a must especially if you're gonna by near the coast, but be ready to peel off layers if you go inland as it heats up the farther in you go.  "I'll take Microclimates for $500 Alex".  See you when you get here.

-Matt

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

You could visit JD Andersen Nursery and check out Gary Wood's Jubaea as part of the same day trip. It's not the tallest, but I visually estimated it's diameter at over 5ft.

Has anyone else seen that killer Jub' at Legoland?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Well, Matt, I switched out some of my packed-already clothes because of your post. ....and it wasn't easy!   :laugh:  

South Coast palms---check!

Killer Jub?????  Someone pls. post a photo of it!!

C from NC

Siler City, NC

FYI....60s this week and 70s next week.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(NCpalmqueen @ May 03 2007,13:55)

I agree, Gary at South Coast Palms is worth the stop. Here is the Jub (it is much more impressive in real life.)

post-716-1178248654_thumb.jpg

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

(m_crowther @ May 03 2007,20:17)

(NCpalmqueen @ May 03 2007,13:55)

I agree, Gary at South Coast Palms is worth the stop. Here is the Jub (it is much more impressive in real life.)

Hey!  Nice Ranch Hand!!!   :D

Seriously, I put a tape measure to it a year ago, it is just over 5feet across!!!  Gary said its smaller than its parents from the bay area.

And yes, you will more or less pass Gary Woods place on the way to JDA, although Gary is a teacher, mid-day visits may be a problem.  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt from T., Thanks for posting the photos.  Awesome Jub!

Howdy from western Arkansas.

Trip update:

We are 1,000+ miles into our trek!  The ol' hip flexors won't move!   I never knew how little populated Arkansas was, and how pretty it is.  81F and humid.  Pretty state, but what is there to do here?  The mountain vistas are wonderful, though.

The Easter Day frigid spell here in the East, doing very little damage home at the ranch in NC, really had a devastating impact west of the Smokies and all the way to Western Arkansas.  The landscape for hundreds and hundreds of miles is 90-100% browned out trees.  The frigid temps hit the trees right at their peak of bloom/leafing out.  I didn't realize how widespread the damage was.   I don't know how cold it was here either.  

Tally ho!

:P

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Your biggest shock will be fuel prices when you get here!!!  :(  Fill up in Arizona.

(NCpalmqueen @ May 04 2007,22:02)

Matt from T., Thanks for posting the photos.  Awesome Jub!

Howdy from western Arkansas.

Trip update:

We are 1,000+ miles into our trek!  The ol' hip flexors won't move!   I never knew how little populated Arkansas was, and how pretty it is.  81F and humid.  Pretty state, but what is there to do here?  The mountain vistas are wonderful, though.

The Easter Day frigid spell here in the East, doing very little damage home at the ranch in NC, really had a devastating impact west of the Smokies and all the way to Western Arkansas.  The landscape for hundreds and hundreds of miles is 90-100% browned out trees.  The frigid temps hit the trees right at their peak of bloom/leafing out.  I didn't realize how widespread the damage was.   I don't know how cold it was here either.  

Tally ho!

:P

Yeah Arkansas is pretty from what I have seen. You are probably like in Texas or something now. Thats a huge state. I remember the drive from San Antonio to El Paso was looooooooong on I-10.

Zac

Zac  

552. somthing, thats not too bad zac, my front gate to el paso is like 900 some odd miles.

we usually start here and stop in demning new mex when we travel to phoenix!

Abraham Lincoln

note to self never ask zac to be a truck driver!

Abraham Lincoln

are you back in school yet?

Abraham Lincoln

Keith and Cindy,

Good to meet you guys today.  Glad we could grab dinner and talk palms...

Happy hunting in San Diego!

JD

Cindy,

If you are reading this, it might be that this Sat, the 5th, thru tuesday, are supposed to be warmer than normal.....now that you brought all your sweaters. :P

(JD in the OC @ May 06 2007,23:27)

Keith and Cindy,

Good to meet you guys today.  Glad we could grab dinner and talk palms...

Happy hunting in San Diego!

JD

Is Endres traveling with you C? Hope you have fun.

And Tad, not yet. I am planning to finish at UH-Manoa in Tropical Botany. I want to be out there in 6 months to a year. Hawaii here I come. Better get ready everyone.

Zac

Zac  

(Zac in NC @ May 07 2007,00:17)

And Tad, not yet. I am planning to finish at UH-Manoa in Tropical Botany. I want to be out there in 6 months to a year. Hawaii here I come. Better get ready everyone.

Zac

oooooo gon be haole akamai

Abraham Lincoln

Travel log update- Monday:

Arrived in sunny CA Sunday afternoon and immediately started the palm quest.  No time for taking a rest or going to the bathroom or getting food.  Run,run,run to the palm Gods!   JD--Great meeting you and Kev.  I wrote down the stuff you are looking for.

BS--I stepped outta the car upon arrival and said, "Hey...it's hot here??!!!"  Oh well, I used the warm duds for the 27F day in Gallup, NM.   brrr

Zac--yes, A grueling ride but with gold at the end of the rainbow.

My truck is loaded down with goodies...luckily the shocks can be adjusted for the weight.  

All you Calif folks::  Too many hills around here...up and down and up and down then up and down and around at 80mph!   This is crazy here!   But seriously, do y'all even notice all the palms?  Every yard has palms...and there is a nursery around every corner.   Life is good. :D

Matt

Not sure where I'll end up tomorrow, but I'll leave the cell on.

Anyone know where I can buy some proteas and other S.African plants?  

Gas is not so bad here....it's not much cheaper out

East.  

On-the-go-C

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Cool!  

Let us know what you think of the "Jubea grove"............

Aren't you glad you brought your long sleeves.......ooops sorry....it's freakin' hot!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Well, have fun Cindy. I need to get back out there at some point. I didn't have enough time to do what I wanted to and see everything that was to be seen and I didn't get to meet enough people. LOL

Zac

Zac  

Travelog continued from the palmy state of CA....

I've had to make some really serious decisions while sorting through palms at nurserys here.  Decisions..decisions...decisions.   One can only stuff so many palms into a truck bed without flattening tires!  So, I've had to NOT buy big wonderful palms, and opt for some smaller stuff.   I hated to turn down 15 gal trithrinax acanthocoma.  Dang, those 15 gal heavy palms!  We've also had to pick and choose stuff that we think may be viable for our neck of the woods.  

After a hair raising, white knuckling trip through God's country in the middle of no where, we found JD Anderson's place.  (You have to remember I am from the flat lands.)   Sadly, no one was there, so we looked around a little bit but then left.  We weren't sure if we had stopped at the right spot or not.  You know you're in a remote area if your GPS unit doesn't show the road you are on, and there is no cell phone service!

We  managed to get to Quail Gardens for a brief tour.  It was quite nice.  If there was a huge Jub there, I didn't see it.   We found several smaller jubs, though along with one huge sabal minor.  We were surprised that a minor was there!  

Mission Jubs and the Zoo on the agenda tomorrow.  Looking forward to meeting you Matt, as well.

===adios==

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Suprised Dan wasn't at JDA's ?   He might have been up the hill.  Open on Tues, Thurs and Sat.  3 "levels" and he mave have been on the top one.  They have a white steel gate at the end of a bumpy dirt road about 1/10 of a mile of marvinga lane.  :(

I may see ya'll tomorrow too!  :D