IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DoomsDave

Howdyall!

Peter (OverGrown) asked me to assist with a score of some big Teddy Bears down in Anaheim at Bluebell nursery.

Of course, yea, though I walk into the den of temptation, I cannot avoid it

And I made some nice scores of my own.

IMG_1793.thumb.JPG.6c7f80c5384337009ce74IMG_1794.thumb.JPG.85678a14e9a08f44af34c

• Upvote 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a doozy of a temptation 

IMG_1798.thumb.JPG.3ae4ed10c5f63cfa4862dIMG_1797.thumb.JPG.1065ab217a35b6e312311IMG_1800.thumb.JPG.3e8a6d9d73c704013e42b

• Upvote 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bluebell is, in fact, a "den of temptation"............great scores!! Thanks for sharing the booty.

The sellers are very nice folks, indeed. Icing on the cake!

• Upvote 4

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Will they fit in the Trucklet of TerrorTM?

Of course they did.

And we went first to his place, then to mine.

5 minutes ago, Stethoscope said:

Congrats Dave is that a Pinanga Coronata? 

Yes indeed!

I stood it up when I got it home to get a better impression of why I was so tempted . . .

$100

not a bad deal!

Just now, Josh-O said:

Jack and Arlene are dope!!

Da bomb, too!

And, totally rad

TOTALLY

G

• Upvote 1

Here's a couple of studies in total tubularity

Two grey and red dypsis decipiens!

IMG_4856.thumb.JPG.99b1ee047141d71f280a4IMG_4857.thumb.JPG.4551a079fe8d898f9ddacIMG_4858.thumb.JPG.581634175792ea6e3bf5d

• Upvote 6

They're both fifteeners and they look a bit like Jeff's big blue/grey one in Hawaii . . .

LOTS of roots, if not much on top

Temptation!

muah ha ha ha ha (mommy!)

• Upvote 1

cool looking plants but they are not the blue variety. just the good O'l fasioned kind..:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

5 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

cool looking plants but they are not the blue variety. just the good O'l fasioned kind..:greenthumb:

Okay, I'm in love anyway

They're a lot smaller and more compact than the usual ones I've seen

• Upvote 1

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Okay, I'm in love anyway

They're a lot smaller and more compact than the usual ones I've seen

they have been in those 15's for to long.

Sunset zone 24

That's likely true!

• Upvote 1

Jack wants to show you his butterfly collection while Arlene does all the real work..lol

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

He tried to sell me some

Arlene's still quite the trooper

Jack was abed; I gather his health isn't the greatest

14 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

They're both fifteeners and they look a bit like Jeff's big blue/grey one in Hawaii . . .

LOTS of roots, if not much on top

Temptation!

muah ha ha ha ha (mommy!)

Nice score Dave! Congratulations. Seems you locked up Jiminy Cricket for this one.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

50 minutes ago, Pando said:

shoulda used da palmscrapertransportationdevice

Nice Pinanga Dave, they grow fast!

They're not that fast in this climate. That one had a few miles on it, though I lost the tag.

It will make a striking accent somewhere in my dark deeply shaded garden . . .

36 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

They're not that fast in this climate. That one had a few miles on it, though I lost the tag.

Nice score indeed DD!

And it's also time for a death camp PRA!

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice score indeed DD!

And it's also time for a death camp PRA!

Bring your day of the dead masks and candles and visit.

Or, don't bring anything and visit anyway!

13 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Must need some big Zig Zags.

hehehehehehe

Sunset zone 24

Peter that's an Actinokentia divaricata, putting out its (spectactular) annual new leaf. Slow as Congress with constipation, but always nice looking (unlike Congress with constipation).

21 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

FWIW, I'm surprised by how (relatively) fast these grow. I have two that are 7+ feet tall after 2 years in the ground from small 5gal. 

IMG_8102.JPG

• Upvote 1

Here's Peter's plants

Four lethal Teddy Bears (one already moved to the back) and a nice Dypsis ambositrae 

IMG_1796.thumb.JPG.7659705a24f9ad73fcdc6

• Upvote 2

Peter's new plants aren't a lot smaller than my old ones, back in 2009, right before they got to mature caliper.

IMG_5672.JPG.1e6f6f057b46d9215365fb61949

IMG_5674.JPG.46ad3663fa1bd188dadaea62a12

5 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Matt, time for some update pics of your yard!

Thanks, Peter. Hopefully soon! Good luck with your awesome new plantings!

Here's a shot of one of IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.3456a772b3027ef1fdad9Peter's Teddy Bears after planting

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2016, 10:56:20, Pando said:

shoulda used da palmscrapertransportationdevice

Nice Pinanga Dave, they grow fast!

Finally made my first trip up there... A Great place!!! and really hard to find any nicer people!  Yes, I should have brought the palmscrapertransportationdevice.. lol

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Finally made my first trip up there... A Great place!!! and really hard to find any nicer people!  Yes, I should have brought the palmscrapertransportationdevice.. lol

bout time! what did you get?

Sunset zone 24

Oh, just a few things.. ;)

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

40 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

:):rolleyes:

Sunset zone 24

11 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Care to share Bill??????

14 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Pant pant pant 

licky!