Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Got Time Lapse Photos of Whashingtonia?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone have before and after pics of their Washingtonia growing? It is interesting to see their growth after years. 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I posted yearly photos in a thread this summer. From one gallon to 14' of trunk.

Pal Meir

Here a couple old Before & After pix of potted Washies.

1972 & 1974:

584d8b80c1fb8_Washingtonia72N11-0401.thu

584d8b87a8759_Washingtonia74N07-0305.thu

1982 & 1984:

584d8b8e3cd8e_Washingtonia1982-06-16N06-

584d8b9302240_Washingtonia1984-01-08.thu

1989 & 2012:

584d8bc5d3e8e_Washingtonia1989-09-07.thu

584d8bd17f9ed_Washingtonia2012-07-06IMG_

• Upvote 1

iwan

I do not have a before picture, but this is three years growth (~6' of trunk) from a volunteer seed.   Do not plant palms, especially Washingtonia near a septic tank!  Roots got down through the clean-out lid and had unlimited water and fertilizer (and clogged the inlet).

DSC03148 (Custom).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello palmtalkers!
      Another question to our gurus from a newbie - when is it okay to cover Washingtonia palms (day-night air temperatures pattern)?
      Some Washingtonia owners suggest to only cover the palms if both day and night temperatures entirely fall below freezing (below 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F) and not to cover the trees on above freezing days and subfreezing nights forecast pattern to keep the trees as healthy as possible, how true is that?
      To cover or not with the forecast like this?

I have two Washingtonia palms planted in the ground this spring and by now by the end of this growing season they reached this size. What are the limits of this sized Washingtonias survival? -5C(23F), -7C(19F)...?

PS. Some details about the plants discussed:
      Apr 2021. Before planting. Two washies brought from two different nurseries, same sized but with some minor differences in appearance

Washy 1 (Apr 2021). Probably pure Filifera or filifera dominant x Filibusta? Grows slower, has produced 8 new leaves during the growing season.

mid-season (Aug 2021)

end season 2021 (Nov 2021)

Washy 2. (Apr 2021). Probably pure Robusta or robusta dominant x Filibusta? Grows faster and produced 15 new leaves during the growing season.

mid-season (Aug 2021)

end season 2021 (Nov 2021)

Thanks!
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      A few from Weymouth on the south coast of England...

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am currently on the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast of England. You can cross over from Portsmouth on the ferry, which takes about 30 minutes. The island is a palm paradise in general, but the southeastern portion is almost like a mini Califronia. I will let the photos do the talking. All these CIDP and Washingtonia were planted tiny about 10-15 years ago now.

I'll start with the Trachycarpus Fortunei...

Phoenix Canariensis...

Brahea Edulus...

Brahea Armata...

Going in heavy with the Washingtonia now. Excuse the sun in my eyes...

There were several Jubaea Chilensis planted out...

Butia Odorata...

Chamaerops Humilis...

Musa Basjoo...

Cycas Revoluta...

About a mile down the road we sat down to have lunch, as dolphin pods jumped out of the water while we ate...

Off the coast of Niton, right next to the spot we ate at, I spotted a Washingtonia in a back yard. Unfortunately the garden was not really accessible to get photos, so I unlawfully hopped the fence to get some shots. Not really being one to follow rules, I am certainly glad I went over, since it turns out there were two Washies in that back yard...

Massive palm updates from the Isle of Wight coming. I have barely scratched the surface here...

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Good afternoon! 
      Today I saw a Variegated Washingtonia in Tempe Arizona, in front of someone’s business. First one I’ve seen in person randomly around. Enjoy.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale are seedlings of some of my mother palms
      Cost for each seedling = $0.25 each for all 5 species. Mix & match.              Minimum Purchase = $10.00
      Shipping = $10.00 for up to 400 plants via Priority Mail.       No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI.

Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seedlings you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Species available with Photos
      1. Archonotophoenix maxima:    http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_maxima

2. Archonotophoenix tuckeri:  http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_tuckeri

3. Dypsis pembana:     http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_pembana

4. Ptychosperma elegans (limited #):    http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_elegans

5. Ptychosperma robusta (limited #):   I could find no info on this palm