Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Got Time Lapse Photos of Whashingtonia?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone have before and after pics of their Washingtonia growing? It is interesting to see their growth after years. 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I posted yearly photos in a thread this summer. From one gallon to 14' of trunk.

Pal Meir

Here a couple old Before & After pix of potted Washies.

1972 & 1974:

584d8b80c1fb8_Washingtonia72N11-0401.thu

584d8b87a8759_Washingtonia74N07-0305.thu

1982 & 1984:

584d8b8e3cd8e_Washingtonia1982-06-16N06-

584d8b9302240_Washingtonia1984-01-08.thu

1989 & 2012:

584d8bc5d3e8e_Washingtonia1989-09-07.thu

584d8bd17f9ed_Washingtonia2012-07-06IMG_

• Upvote 1

iwan

I do not have a before picture, but this is three years growth (~6' of trunk) from a volunteer seed.   Do not plant palms, especially Washingtonia near a septic tank!  Roots got down through the clean-out lid and had unlimited water and fertilizer (and clogged the inlet).

DSC03148 (Custom).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      These are all in London and the outer suburbs...
      Robusta's

Hybrids

Filifera's...

I repeat... this is just the London region only. I've probably missed a fair few, especially ones lurking in back yards. I know of quite a few more that are out there.
    • Palmlex
      By Palmlex
      Hello everyone,
      I've put a Washingtonia Robusta (Filibusta maybe?) in the ground this year, in zone 7a (if using the average annual extreme minimum temperature, which is around 7F/-14C). The issue with my location is that while most winters it's a solid zone 7b (last winter was actually a zone 8a), every few years (5-10), a seriously cold front can get here and plummet temperatures way below that. -9F/-23C is the lowest I've personally experienced, but I didn't have anything to actually measure it at the time, so I just have to trust the temperature at that time's forecast.
      As you might have already figured out, -9F/-23C is pretty much zone 6a temperatures, almost 5b, so the temperature swings here can be pretty drastic from one year to the other.
      To get to the point, I have a Washingtonia that I have already covered (too soon, but I want to be as sure as possible that I'm able to protect it) in the ground that looks gorgeous for its first year, at about 4ft/1.2m height for the tallest frond. Its current protection consists of 3 walls of 100mm (4'') thick polystyrene sheets and a 10mm (0.4'') thick twin wall polycarbonate window on the south side.
      After having done this, I noticed the night time temperatures inside were almost the same as outside. So to try to help it store some of the sun's heat, which is actually too much, since the enclosure can easily surpass 102F/39C on a 42F/6C day (ask me how I know), I've also added black containers filled with around 27 gal/100L of water around the palm. I was hoping the water would tone down the daytime temperatures too, but I still have to ventilate it so I don't cook it. At night, the water seems to help somewhat. So far, what I can tell is that at 32F/0C, the water keeps the enclosure at around 40F/4.5C and I'm expecting it to make an even greater difference when it's colder outside.
      The issue is I'm not expecting this to be good enough if we get another freak 6a/5b winter and heating it electrically is a serious no-go for me since the place is full of mice and other critters and I really don't feel safe doing that. I was thinking I could add hot water in some of the containers before one of those really cold nights, but I'm not sure that would be enough and it would also be a lot of work to carry around lots of hot water to it every day when one of these cold fronts hit (especially if the water freezes in the containers, that would be a nightmare).
      Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how I could insulate or warm up this palm better that doesn't involve doing anything that could be dangerous (like a shock or fire hazard)?
      Thanks so much for reading and I hope you guys out there in zone 9+ love your palms and appreciate how much easier it is to have them around. 
    • MSX
      By MSX
      Hello palmtalkers!
      Another question to our gurus from a newbie - when is it okay to cover Washingtonia palms (day-night air temperatures pattern)?
      Some Washingtonia owners suggest to only cover the palms if both day and night temperatures entirely fall below freezing (below 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F) and not to cover the trees on above freezing days and subfreezing nights forecast pattern to keep the trees as healthy as possible, how true is that?
      To cover or not with the forecast like this?

I have two Washingtonia palms planted in the ground this spring and by now by the end of this growing season they reached this size. What are the limits of this sized Washingtonias survival? -5C(23F), -7C(19F)...?

PS. Some details about the plants discussed:
      Apr 2021. Before planting. Two washies brought from two different nurseries, same sized but with some minor differences in appearance

Washy 1 (Apr 2021). Probably pure Filifera or filifera dominant x Filibusta? Grows slower, has produced 8 new leaves during the growing season.

mid-season (Aug 2021)

end season 2021 (Nov 2021)

Washy 2. (Apr 2021). Probably pure Robusta or robusta dominant x Filibusta? Grows faster and produced 15 new leaves during the growing season.

mid-season (Aug 2021)

end season 2021 (Nov 2021)

Thanks!
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      A few from Weymouth on the south coast of England...

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am currently on the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast of England. You can cross over from Portsmouth on the ferry, which takes about 30 minutes. The island is a palm paradise in general, but the southeastern portion is almost like a mini Califronia. I will let the photos do the talking. All these CIDP and Washingtonia were planted tiny about 10-15 years ago now.

I'll start with the Trachycarpus Fortunei...

Phoenix Canariensis...

Brahea Edulus...

Brahea Armata...

Going in heavy with the Washingtonia now. Excuse the sun in my eyes...

There were several Jubaea Chilensis planted out...

Butia Odorata...

Chamaerops Humilis...

Musa Basjoo...

Cycas Revoluta...

About a mile down the road we sat down to have lunch, as dolphin pods jumped out of the water while we ate...

Off the coast of Niton, right next to the spot we ate at, I spotted a Washingtonia in a back yard. Unfortunately the garden was not really accessible to get photos, so I unlawfully hopped the fence to get some shots. Not really being one to follow rules, I am certainly glad I went over, since it turns out there were two Washies in that back yard...

Massive palm updates from the Isle of Wight coming. I have barely scratched the surface here...