Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Got Time Lapse Photos of Whashingtonia?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone have before and after pics of their Washingtonia growing? It is interesting to see their growth after years. 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I posted yearly photos in a thread this summer. From one gallon to 14' of trunk.

Pal Meir

Here a couple old Before & After pix of potted Washies.

1972 & 1974:

584d8b80c1fb8_Washingtonia72N11-0401.thu

584d8b87a8759_Washingtonia74N07-0305.thu

1982 & 1984:

584d8b8e3cd8e_Washingtonia1982-06-16N06-

584d8b9302240_Washingtonia1984-01-08.thu

1989 & 2012:

584d8bc5d3e8e_Washingtonia1989-09-07.thu

584d8bd17f9ed_Washingtonia2012-07-06IMG_

• Upvote 1

iwan

I do not have a before picture, but this is three years growth (~6' of trunk) from a volunteer seed.   Do not plant palms, especially Washingtonia near a septic tank!  Roots got down through the clean-out lid and had unlimited water and fertilizer (and clogged the inlet).

DSC03148 (Custom).JPG

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• IVO
      By IVO
      Hello! I have 3 washingtonia robustas growing from seeds in 1.5 gallon pots. This spring I'm going to repot them into bigger ones. So my question is. How important to them is root damage, because some of roots are sticking out from drain holes and there is no way rather that clip them off? 
      My 6 moths old palms and me on the picture.

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      I have two Washingtonia Palms in the back yard, I'm wondering what type I have. I have a 5 gal, which I'm pretty sure its a Robusta but on some days I think its a Filbusta. I also have a little seedling that I posted a while back, but its put out some new leafs. Filifera, Robusta, or Filbusta? 
      First 5 pics are the 5 gal
      Last 3 is the seedling

• McClell.Col829
      By McClell.Col829
      Hello my Fellow Palm Talkers, I purchased a Washy (labeled as a Filifera, imo its a Filibusta) about a month ago from HD, I normally don't get my palms from big name corporations, however this palm was priced very low for its size and for the area I live in, St. George, Utah. It's been in the ground for a month, I've been good about watering it,  and I use fish emulsion fertilizer during planting, in my experience it usually helps reduce transplant shock. Anyways, I'm concerned about a couple of things, however the speckling on the petioles is my main concern. I'm wondering what it may be, and what I can do to treat it or remedy it. Any input, recommendations, thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. I hope everybody is doing as well as they can during these stressful and challenging times! I hope you all stay safe and healthy! God Bless,

Thanks

Colby

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a 10" pot of 60+ seedlings of Ptychosperma robusta from my mother palm. About 10 years ago I bought a young clustering Ptychosperma at a sale. The seller called it "Ptychosperma robusta", which was not then and is not now a valid binomial, to my knowledge. He knew nothing else about it. When it was smaller I posted photos in hope someone on the forum would recognize it but got no response. Anyway it has grown quite large and so tall I can't easily photograph its crown. I remove its offsets to keep it at two stems that are 4-5" diameter each, quite chunky by Ptychosperma standards. It grows quickly, flowers and seeds easily and ripe fruit is vibrant red. The infructescences are so high up we can no longer reach them with ladders or pole saws. As a result seedlings pop up all around it in the jungle. The other day I dug up over 80 seedlings and rather than compost them, will find them a new home. I can say this unknown species is completely hardy here and took down to 38F last winter. I hope some enterprising palm lover can offer these seedlings a home. And I hope someone can give it a valid name if one exists. Seedlings will be sent via Priority Mail with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil. Take  a leap into the unknown. See summary below
      Ptychosperma sp "Robusta": 60+ rooted seedlings @ $18.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail.   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $28.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      TOTAL = $30.00
      Photos

Mother palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we returned home from our annual two-week stay at our timeshare on Fort Myers Beach. I took the following photos of the view outside our apt. at sunset on our last night on the beach. Silhouetted against the glowing sky are a coconut and a couple Washingtonias. May everyone's view be as glorious as this.
      Sunset at Ft. Myers Beach, 8-6-2020