IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RobustaEnvirons

Back around August I gave 3 family members potted Washingtonia Robusta. These family members are complete novices to growing palm trees, so I wrote up an MS Word document of Care Instructions. I tried to write everything in a clear and easy to understand way. I just thought I'd share my Instructions page with the PT community. These people have absolutely no previous experience with growing palm trees. So, I had to explain things and have them grasp what the palm would or could require of them. I realize that Washingtonia Robusta are probably not the best palm to give to somebody as a gift/experiment, but I had the spare seeds so I went for it. I had been successful in growing an keeping alive a potted Washy, so I know they may be able to as well.

I also gained experience along the way since I grew them all from seeds beginning in January and February of 2016 until August of 2016 (when I gave them to their respective owners). I live in Toledo Ohio and so do all of the new owners as well. Each family member knows what it will take to keep them going since I've explained quite a few times about sunshine requirements, watering, and etc. This care instructions document synthesizes almost all of what I've learned about how to care for a potted Washingtonia Robusta indoors (and outdoors during Spring/Summer). This isn't obviously all I know about the Washingtonia Robusta, just what I could cram into a couple pages for readability purposes.

All of the potted Washingtonia Robusta are still alive to this day. One in particular is thriving quite well actually (better than my own actually). I think I did pretty well, but I thought I'd share it with everyone to get feedback. What do you think of it? 

Here are the instructions I made up:

Mexican Fan Palm: Tips/Care Instructions

This palm is a Desert palm and is native to the northern regions of Sonora Mexico. It’s often found in California, Florida, and etc. The Mexican Fan palm doesn’t need much care and grows quickly. It’s decently hardy, tolerant, and strong. 

Soil Requirements/Potting-

1.   It requires sandy, fast-draining (but rich and moist) soil.

2.      Use potting mix “made for palm trees”, such as “Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix”.

3.      Use “Miracle-Gro Perlite”, as well as sand (sand box sand).

4.  Mix each by hand into the growing container a little each at a time.

5.      Try to mix 60% potting mix, 20% Perlite, and 20% Sand or thereabouts. This should allow for fast drainage and still retain some water in the soil.     

When to Repot: After much growth, the palm will need to be removed from its current pot and planted into a slightly larger pot. Potting should only be done after the palm’s roots take up all available space (are densely packed) inside the growing container. The roots will take over the pot, at which point there will be more roots than soil. Ideally you’d want to repot it in a cheap pot (it will eventually be outgrown). Select a pot only about 1-2 sizes larger.   

Watering Requirements-

1.      In Spring/Summer= Water every 2-3 days.

2.      In Fall/Winter= Water every 3-5 days (or as needed). During Winter Months (indoors) pots can dry out fast; water more often. Furnace heat can be very harmful.

3.      In high-heat temps, water OFTEN.  Water every 2-3 days! The container dries out much faster in heat.

4.      Keep soil moist, but not too saturated in winter. Allow the soil to dry out some between waterings. This is a Desert Palm tree, and doesn’t need to be overloaded with water as a Tropical Palm tree does. It uses water efficiently, but does need water (just not sitting in water or daily watering).

5.      When the top 2 inches of soil dry out, water it. Every 3-4 watering’s you should fully soak the palm. Its best to use only filtered water, as tap water can allow impurities to collect overtime in the soil and could eventually kill the palm.

6.      Don’t overwater, as this can cause Root-Rot (although it takes a lot of over-watering).  

7.      Keep the bottom drainage holes clear so as to release excess water.   

8.      If it has been awhile since watering (and you’re unsure when to water again), you notice some leaf tips are turning brown, and maybe a certain leaf seems to be browning; it is time to water it!

Lighting Requirements- 

1.      Grows best from South-facing sunshine, but can also do well from West-facing sunshine. East facing sunshine is okay also, but isn’t as intense as South or West facing sunshine.

2.      This palm does best under Full-light, but can tolerate Medium or even Low-light (such as cloudy days).

3.      During Spring/Summer it thrives outside. Place it outside as much as possible; this helps it sustain itself throughout winter and push new growth. 

4.      During winter its growth will slow, but it should survive just fine.    

5.      Under decreased light, leaf tips will brown and growth will slow down.   

Temperature    

1.      Place outdoors as much as possible during the warm Spring/Summer/Fall months. Keep indoors during winter months (or while below minimum temperature).

2.      It grows best in high-heat temperatures (80F-120F), since it’s a Desert palm. It doesn’t mind average home temperatures at all though.

3.      Minimum Temperature: 20F, but no lower than 40F is recommended (since it’s potted).

4.      Leaf tips will burn at lower temps. Overall, it’s pretty tolerant and should recover well.

Helpful Tips:

1.      If leaf tips turn brown, resist the urge to trim off the brown. If trimmed, the tip will continue browning.

2.      It’s best to keep it in a Southern-Facing window when indoors; to ensure adequate growth!

3.      Don’t forget to water every now and again.

4.      If kept in the same spot for a while, rotate the palm a quarter-turn every now and then (ensures the palm grows straight up).

Enjoy!

Palm Care.doc

Edited by RobustaEnvirons
  • Like 2

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

My only comment is I might go higher on the minimum temps.   20F is awfully low for a potted washy.  Since it is potted I would consider the mid 20s or even a little higher.  It is all subjective depending on how much damage one will tolerate and how long one wishes to wait in spring for the palm to grow out of the damage.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

7 minutes ago, _Keith said:

My only comment is I might go higher on the minimum temps.   20F is awfully low for a potted washy.  Since it is potted I would consider the mid 20s or even a little higher.  It is all subjective depending on how much damage one will tolerate and how long one wishes to wait in spring for the palm to grow out of the damage.

Good point. Since we all live in Toledo Ohio we don't fool around too much anyhow when it comes to Fall/Spring low temps. I kind of made it clear to all of them that its best to bring it indoors once the temps drop below 60F day or night just to be safe. We all keep our Washies indoors and on our window ledges all winter until Spring temps are at least 50-60F day or night. I myself bring my Washy out every morning at sunrise and I bring it indoors at sunset everyday from Spring-Fall. I know I don't really have to once temps get warm day/night, but I've found that the bugs can really eat the leaves and stuff after sundown. So that's why I bring mine indoors overnight. As for the temps though, I don't take chances, let alone down to 20F. I would agree though that maybe that's a little too low of a minimal temp.   

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

Very sensible, detailed instructions!
But I would add one more point. I think this is important!
If the palm is grown in a pot (especially if the pot is made of plastic), it is will be better to protect it from overheating using any thermal insulation material. In the summer, in direct sunlight, the plastic is very heated. And the soil dries instantly! ..
P.S. Sorry for my English!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yurabotan said:

Very sensible, detailed instructions!
But I would add one more point. I think this is important!
If the palm is grown in a pot (especially if the pot is made of plastic), it is will be better to protect it from overheating using any thermal insulation material. In the summer, in direct sunlight, the plastic is very heated. And the soil dries instantly! ..
P.S. Sorry for my English!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that honestly. I'll be sure to add it to my instructions. I did give my family members their Washies in a plastic container. So that's helpful to know. Your English isn't too bad.  

Richard Berry