IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Freeze warning for CA

enigma99

Was 27F last two mornings when I woke up at 7 a.m. Suspect it was colder in my low spot.  I was surprised that my 55% shade cloth didn't do any protection for my C. Benzei, and C. Hooperiana.  They were hit, but were only partially exposed, so, should recover.  We did some thinning of our tall redwoods, because everything was stretching for light.  I just didn't expect it to get that cold Friday night, early Saturday a.m.  The frost was very, heavy here this morning, first time I have seen it up on my redwoods is 34 years.  We spent alot of time getting things prepped for Saturday night.  Cecile

• Upvote 1

Seems I dodged the bullet. Hit 32 Saturday morning and then last night got down to 35 but strange thing it was 40 at 6am. So far I see no damage what so ever. 

1 hour ago, SHEP said:

Was 27F last two mornings when I woke up at 7 a.m. Suspect it was colder in my low spot.  I was surprised that my 55% shade cloth didn't do any protection for my C. Benzei, and C. Hooperiana.  They were hit, but were only partially exposed, so, should recover.  We did some thinning of our tall redwoods, because everything was stretching for light.  I just didn't expect it to get that cold Friday night, early Saturday a.m.  The frost was very, heavy here this morning, first time I have seen it up on my redwoods is 34 years.  We spent alot of time getting things prepped for Saturday night.  Cecile

Yeah it was cold but I have never seen thick frost like this morning here. It was like snow everywhere even on the plants. This morning they were dripping as it melted off the tops of trees. Some of my Archontophoenix Cunninghamania took some slight damage. They have never been damaged during the winter and typically shouldn't at around 29/30. Ready for winter to be over

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

We still don't have our own weather station, but using a neighbor's readings a few blocks over, he got to a low of 27F. He was showing 31F at 1am and it didn't get above freezing until around 9am. No wind down here on valley floor either unlike Ben who got lucky. Most but not all of our frost-tender stuff got covered yesterday, unfortunately for some of it, and I do expect we'll be cutting 3 unprotected orange birds of paradise down to the ground later this spring. Really sad as it's been 3 years for them to finally grow out beautifully since the 2013 freeze. They have all been in bloom and we had lots of new flowers about to emerge. The uncovered SunPatiens are a given loss, but feel badly we didn't get all of our birds covered. Nothing to do about it now. Pretty sure we'll have damage to the Philodendron 'Hope' that was uncovered but with lights underneath. It too really looked great this past fall. Oh well.

Fortunately don't need to be concerned about our palms really. None really need protecting. We added a new Rhapis excelsa, to the yard this past year. It's a mature size so despite being a new planting assume it will be fine. We had that almost day-long drenching of rain just prior to yesterday so everything has been well watered. We also have two Chamaedorea (one microspadix and other unknown variety but fast tall grower) in pots on the porch so will be curious to see how they fare not being in the ground. 

I'm shocked by this. 50% of my plants in Fairfield, CA were damaged or killed by the 2013 freeze, including my giant bird of paradise, but my orange bird of paradise had zero damage. I don't know how cold it got in my yard, but I'm pretty sure it got down 25 degrees.

• Upvote 1

So far looking like a repeat of this morning for tomorrow outside of the urban heat island.  Currently 34F with 31F dew point for the last three hours.  I was expecting about 25F this morning, but we bottomed out at 28F for nine hours.  Frost so heavy that I measured 0.01" of moisture in the rain gauge when it melted.  Not worrisome lows for me, but prolonged duration freezing will damage the normal hardy "tropicals".

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Didn't think it would get as cold last night but this morning we went right back down to the freezing point. Then the wind started picking up when I was leaving for work at 5 am. From what I see on Weather Underground the nearby station is showing 42 now and it's located in the neighborhood next to mine. Hopefully this is all done after today. Good thing most of my palms can handle this kind of cold no problem but I do worry about my two Tribears since those are one of my favorites. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, this has been the worst night for me as well - hovering right around freezing since 4 a.m.  Likewise, not too concerned - may show some damage on bananas etc., but I don't start getting really concerned until we're under 30.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

It feels cold this morning.  Ok, nothing like it is back home in Omaha but for Coastal SoCal.

Local Wunderground says 42°f. My "smart" irrigation system says 39°f. My cheap dial thermometer leaning against the stucco wall of my house says 34°f.  Feels closer to the 34°f to me.  

As the sun is starting to peek out above the horizon, there is a very slight breeze.  I walked the vulnerable areas of the garden a few minutes ago and see no signs of frost.  I can pretty reliably count on frost at about 37°f.  

That little breeze is saving my bacon I think.

Now I checked Weather Underground and that local station is showing 47 and the sun still isn't up yet. I have to agree the wind has probably helped out big time. Hopefully the bananas are okay. They have fruit on them and wanted to finally try them but the cold could ruin that. So far over the weekend they never showed any damage which is amazing. Bananas tend to be the first. 

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yes, this has been the worst night for me as well - hovering right around freezing since 4 a.m.  Likewise, not too concerned - may show some damage on bananas etc., but I don't start getting really concerned until we're under 30.

Seems your weather station is by far the warmest location in Clayton. Saw plenty of 27, 28's around town.

Looks like we had 33 Saturday night, 31 Sunday night and will have 32 tonight (heavy frost each night so far here in Fresno). I moved some young, potted cyphophoenix and dypsis carlsmithii into the garage, but left everything else outside underneath a canary island date for overhead protection. So far, I haven't noticed much damage except for some spotting on dypsis decipiens (surprising to me), phoenix rupicola and young syagrus abreojos. No spotting yet on beccariophoenix alfredii (seedling) or bismarkia nobilis (3 gallon size in the ground). I didn't get a good look at my archontophoenix this morning but I'll get a look at it later. From my kitchen window I wasn't able to see any damage but it's got some slight overhead protection from a deciduous magnolia tree so I suspect it could be ok. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎37‎:‎57‎, Jubaea said:

Bottomed out around 30 under canopy last night with frost on the ground in open areas and on some palms.  Looks like there is frost damage on A alexandrae, Kentia, Bismarckia, Parajubaea cocoides that are all out in the open.  It would not surprise me if those saw high 20's.

How is your Hedyscepe doing?

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Seems your weather station is by far the warmest location in Clayton. Saw plenty of 27, 28's around town.

There is a lot of hills and valleys. I could drive a half mile on top of the hill from my house and find some colder and warmer areas depending on elevation. I was around 32 this morning with some light frost. Now it is time to access the damage as it continues to warm up. 

Oh and we might get slammed again around xmas. Another pocket of cold air has to go somewhere, hopefully it will miss!

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

There is a lot of hills and valleys. I could drive a half mile on top of the hill from my house and find some colder and warmer areas depending on elevation. I was around 32 this morning with some light frost. Now it is time to access the damage as it continues to warm up. 

Oh I know. I'm in Livermore and have just as many hills and valleys. What I was pointing out was how lucky Ben is with his current location.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, iwan said:

So far looking like a repeat of this morning for tomorrow outside of the urban heat island.  Currently 34F with 31F dew point for the last three hours.  I was expecting about 25F this morning, but we bottomed out at 28F for nine hours.  Frost so heavy that I measured 0.01" of moisture in the rain gauge when it melted.  Not worrisome lows for me, but prolonged duration freezing will damage the normal hardy "tropicals".

Iwan, you definitely had a much colder night than I did in town. I went home during lunch and took a closer look at my plants. 

Dioon spinulosum - It has a sickly green color to it, not the typical powdery greenish-blue. Also, the leaflets are still holding up their shape, but a gentle tug will tear individual leaflets from the rachis. 

20161219_134027.thumb.jpg.444e6a41789634

Spotting - Various degrees of spotting on Dypsis decipiens, Jubaeopsis caffra, Beccariophoenix alfredii and Bismarkia nobilis. Not anything too concerning though - for now. 

None of my palms on the east side of the house show any visible damage - the overhead protection from a deciduous magnolia and crepe myrtle seem to have been enough to keep the frost off. I have chamaedorea microspadix, syagrus sancona, archontophoenix cunninghamia, chamaedorea seifrezii, and severeal young musa species. Off to the left near the breaker box I have many seedlings that I thought for sure would be goners but seem to have been spared. I have a lot of seedling dypsis lutescens, chamaedora elegans, chamaedorea tepejilote, ptechosperma elegans, cyphophoenix elegans and dypsis onilahensis. 

20161219_133956.thumb.jpg.57d65adb419f24

2 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Oh I know. I'm in Livermore and have just as many hills and valleys. What I was pointing out was how lucky Ben is with his current location.

Yep - I am up on a hill.  1/4 mile from me can be 4-5 degrees different.  Interestingly, I have noticed that my temps seem to drop quicker in the early evening, but then level off/not drop as low as some of the surrounding areas.  I am thankful, as the differential has huge implications for what is doable medium-term.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

7 hours ago, sbpalms said:

How is your Hedyscepe doing?

I draped some rag towels over them so hopefully they will be OK.  From past experience I know I should wait at least a week to see the full extent of damage.  

With the arctic blast over, I took a picture today. At the end of the day, this event did more damage to my health than the garden. Very minor damage overall... The big Roystonea Regia has some slight bronzing on the tips. More than the lows, the really heavy frost caused the most damage I think. It was like it snowed! Glad that is over. I've never seen it happen like that, and hopefully it won't repeat for a while.

This Friday is supposed to rain a lot, and then get cold on Saturday night. So I hope all that moisture doesn't cause frost again

IMG_0460.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 3

Still looks great, Derrick.  Something to be said for packing it in and creating that microclimate!

Ben Rogers

11 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Still looks great, Derrick.  Something to be said for packing it in and creating that microclimate!

Some of my bananas got roughed up but that was about it. Although that heavy frost did hurt some stuff because usually I don't take any damage around 30 degrees. Can't wait for the 80s next year :)

I will take some pics maybe Wednesday and post to the freeze/frost threads. 

Hard to believe it didn't even go below 50 last night after the weekend we had. good to see the frost didn't do much damage. My small foxtail got a few spots and that's about it.

13 hours ago, Jubaea said:

I draped some rag towels over them so hopefully they will be OK.  From past experience I know I should wait at least a week to see the full extent of damage.  

I see. That should be very helpful in protecting it.

Another round of cold hits this weekend. I can't recall cold weather like this after getting lots of rain.  Friday is supposed to be 1+ inch, and then Saturday night cold air comes in. Just like last time... ugh

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Another round of cold hits this weekend. I can't recall cold weather like this after getting lots of rain.  Friday is supposed to be 1+ inch, and then Saturday night cold air comes in. Just like last time... ugh

Yeah, temps are coming down...33/34 projected here right now for Saturday night again here.  At least it looks short-lived.  If I stay above 30 in December, I will be happy.

Big D. lutescens showing a bit of bronzing - must be the frost?  Need to grow up the Archontophoenix around that guy in a hurry...

Ben Rogers

The forecast for this weekend isn't as bad as this last one though. I'm forecast to get to 34F, 36F and 38F this weekend, compared to the 33F, 31F and 32F of last the last wave. 

Just now, Jdiaz31089 said:

The forecast for this weekend isn't as bad as this last one though. I'm forecast to get to 34F, 36F and 38F this weekend, compared to the 33F, 31F and 32F of last the last wave. 

Let's hope so, but it has been getting revised downward several times a day for the last couple of days, at least for my area.

Ben Rogers

4 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

It's not the lows, but the frost I am worried about. Getting 1-2 inches of rain and then close to freezing isn't a good combo

On 12/20/2016, 6:14:07, Chris Chance said:

Hard to believe it didn't even go below 50 last night after the weekend we had. good to see the frost didn't do much damage.

Very true... hard to believe this week's temperature cycle.  One morning this last weekend there was frost on top of my roof, and on homes right up to Neptune Street which is right on the bluff above the ocean here in Leucadia.  Yet, Tuesday and Wednesday, I was out walking my dog in short sleeves in the dark at 5am quite comfortably.  It is beginning to cool this afternoon, and we are due for another Pacific cold front tomorrow.  It seems my yard is always coldest after the storm has passed and we have the cold clear nights. 

That said, I'm not trusting my low readings after getting a lesson from MattyB on why my completely exposed thermometer was reading so low.  I need to protect them from radiation heat loss on those clear cold nights to get more accurate readings.

The winter weather roller-coaster begins now that we have passed the Solstice yesterday!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Very true... hard to believe this week's temperature cycle.  One morning this last weekend there was frost on top of my roof, and on homes right up to Neptune Street which is right on the bluff above the ocean here in Leucadia.  Yet, Tuesday and Wednesday, I was out walking my dog in short sleeves in the dark at 5am quite comfortably.  It is beginning to cool this afternoon, and we are due for another Pacific cold front tomorrow.  It seems my yard is always coldest after the storm has passed and we have the cold clear nights. 

That said, I'm not trusting my low readings after getting a lesson from MattyB on why my completely exposed thermometer was reading so low.  I need to protect them from radiation heat loss on those clear cold nights to get more accurate readings.

The winter weather roller-coaster begins now that we have passed the Solstice yesterday!

is your hi-low thermometer alcohol based?

If so throw it away. they such A#$!!  lol

it seems shielded weather systems are the way to go I'm learning through research :)

I did not know you got frost in you area Tracy???

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

18 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I did not know you got frost in you area Tracy???

I have seen it before to the north of me, closer to Bataquitos Lagoon, but not as much as I saw last weekend, and I've never seen it when walking up Grandview to the beach like last weekend.  No damage to any palms or my bananas (except wind damage to the bananas).  All my Laelia's in bloom came through beautifully, cycads flushing with no damage, so it must have been a radiation frost, above 32 degrees.

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

17 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have seen it before to the north of me, closer to Bataquitos Lagoon, but not as much as I saw last weekend, and I've never seen it when walking up Grandview to the beach like last weekend.  No damage to any palms or my bananas (except wind damage to the bananas).  All my Laelia's in bloom came through beautifully, cycads flushing with no damage, so it must have been a radiation frost, above 32 degrees.

radiation frost is such a trippy thing. I have seen this form on and around my dirt pile at the nursery last week.

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

radiation frost is such a trippy thing. I have seen this form on and around my dirt pile at the nursery last week.

It really is.  It does a number on my garden every year. 

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

It really is.  It does a number on my garden every year. 

do you get it on your plants?

Sunset zone 24

The air is definitely cold after this storm.  50F with a 39F dew point at 2PM with cold wind out of the NW and spotty clouds.  The rain ended quickly, early this morning with clear sky and no wind.  The low was 32.2F this morning with heavy (for here) ice everywhere.  If the wind dies down tonight (which it will probably do), the temps are going to drop rapidly. 

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

57 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

do you get it on your plants?

Yes.  Last year I took precautions. Then when all the danger was past, I removed fans and etc.  An unforecasted dip in temps coupled with a very still night cooked my bananas and a couple palms.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎05‎:‎13‎, Tracy said:

Yeah, the weather has been interesting lately. We dipped into the upper thirties last weekend, and this week, for several days, we had several instances where the low was in the fifties. It's getting colder again, though.

Edited by sbpalms