Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Please Help ID This Little Palm

Scott

Hi, I bought this little palm, hoping it was a Dypsis Lutescens (The tag only says tropical plant!). But I thought it could also be a cataractarum.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

100_2408.JPG

100_2406.JPG

malcthomas

Scott.....I would go with D.lutescens....it is not C.cataractum

cheers...Malcolm

MattyB

I agree that it's a Dypsis lutescens.  If you look closely on the crownshaft and petioles there should be some speckling...white and black sort of, maybe some orange hints in there.  The C. cataractum will be all smooth green.  Also, the cataractum dosen't sucker it splits in two.  Which I think that's what the name means.

Scott

Thanks everybody! I was hoping that I'd entered the realm of Dypsis, finally.

I've been having a hard time finding this. I was at H.D. earlier today, and they had a cataractarum - although a bit larger. It looked just like this! That threw me into confusion.

I water most my palms everyday, should this little one get the same? I'm going to keep it shaded and put it in a bigger pot.  Since it's obviously green house/ indoors grown, I guess it'll have to be shaded most of the day.

Thanks again!

MattyB

Scott, as this is a small palm you'll want to keep it out of the full sun, but D. lutescens really likes strong light.  See how bright of a spot you can get it.  If you stick it inside or in deep, dark shade they look a really nice and green color but get way too stretched out and leggy.  I think they are also prone to mealy bug indoors....at least mine were.   As it gets older it will love some am sun.  I cool little trick I learned with D. lutescens is give it a good healthy dose of Blood Meal.  This helps create really green leaves and the contrast against the golden canes and petioles is just so nice.  This very common palm is one of my very favorites.

Scott

Matty, I'm gonna take your advice. I saw blood meal at the nursery when I was buying some palm food. I had no idea what it was used for.

Would this be good for the other palms too? (Rivularis, Butia, etc.)

P.S. That cow pictures lives on in the old forum!

DoomsDave

D. lutescens, definately.  C. cataractarum that size are deep deep green, not yellow green.

Separate 'em and they'll grow like cancer . . .

dave